2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Taking insurance off in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/06, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
No, you can't. Homeowners insurance specifically excludes autos and auto accessories, no matter what happens (fire, flood, etc.)
Yep, correct... as the picture I posted shows...been there, done that.

If your kid falls and hit their head on your car, you may have to claim it on your auto insurance....
Old 10/10/06, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
No, you can't. Homeowners insurance specifically excludes autos and auto accessories, no matter what happens (fire, flood, etc.)

I work for a homeowners insurance company and I see misinformed people file claims for car stuff all the time. It sucks to tell them that there is no coverage, but that is how your standard homeowners policies are written, no matter what company you are with. (of course, there might be exceptions that I am not aware of, but they are not mainstream)

My advice would be NOT to drop the insurance coverage on the stored car - maybe lower liability limit / rate discount might be an option since the car is in storage, but NEVER go without, even if you don't have a finance company making you insure the car.

That way somebody like me doesn't have to answer your question "who is going to pay for this?" with a shrug and a short "that's YOUR problem."
Good to know. Thanks