2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Taking Delivery w/GO Colored Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/06, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking Delivery w/GO Colored Glasses

Chalk this one up to me not paying close enough attention, or having to wait too long for delivery, or just being plain stupid. It wasn't until I was applying my fourth coat of NXT that I observed these defects in the body panel fit of my car.

For a good story first, my dealer has been great through the whole thing about resolving this. He doesn't have his own body shop, so since I already have a relationship with Cavallo's, he is letting me take it there and he stated that they will take care of the whole thing. He could have been a Richard about it and said how could he know that I didn't do the damage myself, since I had the car for 6 weeks prior to my discovery. But they have been great and have a "whatever to make you happy" attitude. So, I am very fortunate in that regard.

First the front of the car. It looks like the front right fender is adjusted too far "in" in the front. The difference in the gaps looks fine in the back towards the windshield, but the gap is like 1/4" on the drivers side and 1/16" on the passenger side. Its a wonder that they don't rub.

Now, for the rear of the car. I first noticed a small amount of touch up paint (about the width of an eyebrow hair) on the rear bumper where it meets up with the driver's side rear quarter. That led to the discovery that the rear bumper does not line up at all. Way too far to the left. Not only that, it was significant enough that whomever installed the left tail light assembly broke off a piece of body panel filler, leaving some of it (about the size of a grain of rice) exposed and unpainted kind of like that little piece of a model that you break off that you need to trim with an exacto knife.

Some might call me ****, but this was totally unacceptable.

The lesson to be learned here is to take a few hundred deep breaths and calm down when you take delivery of your vehicle. No matter if you waited 7 months for it.
Old 10/3/06, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I took delivery of a 2003 Windstar and didn't notice for a month the hood was misaligned. I was washing it one day, closed the hood and noticed the weatherstripping at the top of the grille was crooked (or so it looked). My dealer sent it out to the bodyshop for a day and it came back just fine. I can totally understand not going over the car with a fine tooth comb! I'd just want to drive it!
Old 10/4/06, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

I've seen a few hood alignment issues on the 05 & 06's. Your's is definately out more than most, but hopefully they can realign it by loosening the hinges and it will take care of the problem. Hopefully the dealer can correct both problems without messing something else up.
Old 10/5/06, 01:22 AM
Cobra Member

You've got every right to be picky, Alan. You've paid a lot of money for this car and it should be good from the start!

You're right to take this to the dealer to get things straight.
Old 10/6/06, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I pick it up today. We'll see how it turns out. Too bad that it is raining. I hate having to drive the car in the rain. The shop is not open on Saturday and it is supposed to be heavenly on Sunday. Need the car on Sunday!
Old 10/7/06, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CelticNut
You've got every right to be picky, Alan. You've paid a lot of money for this car and it should be good from the start!

You're right to take this to the dealer to get things straight.
+1. ...then I must be **** as well... cuz this is definitely unacceptable.
Old 10/8/06, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

The satin silver 05 I test drove had a missaligned rear bumper, was way obvious. Luckily I noticed it right away because it reminded me to inspect my sonic blue extreamly well before taking it. I've seen others on the lot also with some panels not lined up properly and one with a mild ding, only visable at an angle.

I never even thought about it with my prior new car purchases, good thing it was never an issue.