2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Take off the clips on the wheel studs?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/12, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Sabre!!!
One silly question...
Will the rotor be loose if the clip is removed?
I'm sure it doesn't make much difference, but I'm curious.
Old 2/6/12, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
No, it will not. The wheel will ensure the rotor is snug to the hub, and the lug nuts will make sure the wheel is snug to it all.

You can safely not worry about them, and they are left off all the time. If it were a big deal, there would not be only one of these things, but five.
Old 2/7/12, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everybody!!!
Old 2/8/12, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Yes, definitely get rid of those clips at your first opportunity.

I had a mysterious shake in my front end when I mounted my winter wheels and tires . . . I took it to two shops to rebalance the front wheels, they both did that and said they were fine, but the shake was still there . . . turns out the problem was caused by those clips, the aftermarket wheels did not have the big well on the back, so the clip was making the wheel not mount correctly to the hub. You'd think one of those shops would have noticed and mentioned that, one of them was a Ford dealer! But NO . . . luckily somebody on one of these boards clued me in to it.
Old 2/10/12, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
Yes, definitely get rid of those clips at your first opportunity.

I had a mysterious shake in my front end when I mounted my winter wheels and tires . . . I took it to two shops to rebalance the front wheels, they both did that and said they were fine, but the shake was still there . . . turns out the problem was caused by those clips, the aftermarket wheels did not have the big well on the back, so the clip was making the wheel not mount correctly to the hub. You'd think one of those shops would have noticed and mentioned that, one of them was a Ford dealer! But NO . . . luckily somebody on one of these boards clued me in to it.
Ford dealers are absolutely clueless about small issues like this. My 2010 still has those clips and it shakes even with stock wheels. I'm removing those clips ASAP.