2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Problem with Wiper Jets

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/06, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So for the last 3 weeks or so I didn't drive my car. I was busy with work and I had to drive a more 'convenient' vehicle. Obviously this was not my decision. Anyway, so after about 3 weeks, where I've had my car covered in my driveway and not running at all I come back to find my battery is dead. Not limping, DEAD, as in even the keyless entry didn't work anymore. So I put the battery on a charger for a while and the car starts up fine. I put the charger back on for a few more hours the next morning and figure if the car dies by tomorrow morning it's a bad battery, if not it was just the strain of not being started for so long.

So it seems it was just not being run for a while that was the problem. The car started fine this morning and has run perfectly all day. Now, however, I seem to have run into another issue. The wiper jets that squirt water don't work anymore. The wiper blades work fine, but not the jets. Naturally the first thing I do is check the washer fluid resevoir. It's full, not even a bit low.

My next fix was to look at the fuse. There's a large fuse for the wipers in general in the engine bay, but since the wipers are fine I assume that's not the problem one. So I go digging into the one on the passanger side. Finally get it out(that fuse pulling thing is junk) and it's perfectly fine.....

So now I'm kinda out of options. It's not low on fluid, it's not the fuse, and from what I can tell it's not blocked(not that it would be, considering it's just water). So I'm in need of a bit of help here. What am I not looking at? When I turn the jets on I don't even hear anything under the hood trying to work, so I had assumed it was a blown fuse, but the fuse is fine. I might go ahead and change it just in case, but can anyone think of another possible solution?
Old 4/14/06, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
you might try looking under the right front corner where the washer fluid bottle is. the washer pump is in clear view. you can disconnect the wiring connector there and use a test light or volt meter to see if power is making it to the pump as someone else operates the pump switch. if powers there the pump motors probably bad. try tapping it lightly to see if it'll start.
one other thing, if you're using straight water and had freezing temps recently it's possible the pump or water in the lines are still frozen.
Old 4/14/06, 03:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4 things.
Frozen (as stated)
Bad Pump (as stated) - little black cylinder about 3 inches high, 1 inch diameter attached to the side of the bottle, usually near the bottom.
or
Wax your car lately? Did ya get some wax in the squirter holes blocking them?
Lastly, check your fluid lines and make sure they're connected and not kinked.

If you did recently wax your car and plugged the holes, or if you're running straight water that's frozen, then you could've burnt up the pump motor.

Syphon the water out and put in washer fluid, and make sure there's no wax in the squirters. Then take it back to the dealer... it's a warranty item.