2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda Ultralight springs with FRPP dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/10, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steeda Ultralight springs with FRPP dampers?

Has anyone tried Steeda Ultralight springs with the FRPP dampers? I have stock dampers now and they are about toast at 30K. I’m not interested in installing any $500+ sets of adjustable dampers, just replacing stock with something that will be a bit more durable and provide a good ride.

Tim
Old 2/28/10, 02:36 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdbrown75
Has anyone tried Steeda Ultralight springs with the FRPP dampers? I have stock dampers now and they are about toast at 30K. I’m not interested in installing any $500+ sets of adjustable dampers, just replacing stock with something that will be a bit more durable and provide a good ride.

Tim
I had the same set up and I did not like the ride (harsh) or handling. I took a fast curve once that had a dip midway though it, the suspension must have bottomed out and then rebounded fast. I almost lost control and went into the wall.

I now have the Steeda Ultralight Springs and Steeda Pro Action dampers. The ride and handling are much improved. http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ble_shocks.php

Last edited by NJ3; 2/28/10 at 02:38 PM.
Old 3/1/10, 06:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm using Tokico hp shocks and struts and like them They go for about 300 for the set.
Old 3/1/10, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ3
I had the same set up and I did not like the ride (harsh) or handling. I took a fast curve once that had a dip midway though it, the suspension must have bottomed out and then rebounded fast. I almost lost control and went into the wall.

I now have the Steeda Ultralight Springs and Steeda Pro Action dampers. The ride and handling are much improved. http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ble_shocks.php
If you're thinking to go this route I bought the Steeda Pro Action's a lil over a year ago but never installed or even opened them. Decided to go with the adjustables and just too lazy to ever sell them. Say $250 shipped
Old 3/1/10, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I may just take you up on that...

I had the FRPP dampers installed today and will be picking up the car tomorrow. Been doing lots of reading/research the past few days and have decided to give it a try and see how I like it. I imagine these will ride quite a bit better then the stockers do with these springs, which is pretty much totally out of control.

I know what I'm getting into as my buddy has the FRPP dampers with the FRPP K springs and I love the ride. I'm reading that many of the aftermarket damper kits offer a stock-like ride when cruising and greatly improved cornering/handling which is not really what I'm looking for. I'm not an auto-cross guy but I want something that feels aggressive and handles well to go along with my 4.10s, loud exhaust, road noise, and other things which ensure I don’t forget that I’m driving a muscle car and not a mini-van.

I'm just going to have to see what the butt-o-meter has to say about it tomorrow. If the ride stinks I'll be sending you a PM. I'm pretty sure I can get back what I paid for these and the price you are offering the Steeda's I'd cover the second installation I'll be out!

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 3/2/10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 3/4/10, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I did it and have no regrets.

The car handles 10X better then it did with stock dampers, I been zipping around corners all day giggling as I go. Yes the FRPP dampers are stiff, but I love feeling the road beneath the car. Guess I just like it rough.

Of course the 4.10s I put in at the same time have contributed to the happy feelings. I've fallen in love all over again!

Tim
Old 3/5/10, 11:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear they've worked out and you've found new joy in your car.