2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Spoiled

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/04, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright guys. My mother has offered to buy me the new Mustang GT. She has the money all 25K+ because of the divorce, which screwed over my dad fiancially, thus in effect screwing over my chance at a car from him.

I NEED a new car. My current car. '80 Lincoln Continental Mark VI is on an accelerating path towards self-destruction. Everyday it seems something new breaks. Driving for an hr WILL bring you 5-6 stalls. 15 Minute trips give 1-2 stalls. The engine has caught fire once. I've poured roughly over 1000 dollars excluding gas and insurance. Brakes (pads & calipers & hoses), various fluids like oil (not changes just refilling (leak)) and tranny fluid (leak) and radiator, brake lines (3x), gas line (4x), radiator hoses, fuel injector cleaner, tires, cd player, computer dianogistics (no results found), sparkplugs, plugwires, starter motor, exterior light switches (wires), exhaust redone, fuel and air filters and get screwed up often and easily, and just so much other poo. 5.0L of deterioration.

Yeah my car is a pos mechanically. The exterior and interior are nearly flawless.

Anyways my mom wants to buy me a new GT as stated before. She can buy it with out the hassle of paying of a debt to the bank and all that crap. BUY- N- GO.

Heres the small kickers, I pay for insurance under her or my dad's name, then also gas. I'm use to high gas costs and low insurance costs. My job pays minium wage with tips. Tips generally are swallowed by my current gas tank. The big kicker is that of I'm gonna feel really obligated to do what she says (though I'm 18), like she wants me to move in with her and stuff like that I don't care for it because here I live now I have always considered here home and I still do, and hopefully it stays that way. Wants me to visit a lot, wants me to stay at her house during the week, just all these suggestions. How do you thank someone for helping you so much? How do you deal with that person? I love my mom yes, but the problem is that I don't really want the car if she gonna use it to manipulate me. Aside from that shes kinda in a fiancial problem right now. Yes she has money but now she has to find a full-time job or mulitple part-time jobs.

I dunno what to do. I can improve my life, my image, and get one of my favorite cars of all time but at the expense of possible future financial reprecussions, and manipulation for and of my mom.

Any suggestions?
Old 8/16/04, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Just my opinion, but I'd shy away from that deal. I know too many other people around your age (I'm 22) who were highly manipulated by their parents through financial avenues. If you're not making enough where you are at now, find a better job and use the bank (if you have to have your mom or dad cosign) to finance your 2005 Mustang V6 or GT (whatever payments you can afford). Then you have financial freedom and your mom has enough money to hold her over until she can get all of her jobs straightened out. Not to mention you will feel a lot prouder driving the 2005 Mustang you bought yourself.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 8/16/04, 08:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with RM2000, You will feel a lot better financing and paying for your own car. I can see the quandry you are in, you could own a kick A car at 18 that is better than all your friends, but the future hassle might be immense.
One thing to think about if you decide not to accept the money.....Try to let your mum down gently. As she is asking you to live with her etc, she may be emotionally fragile after the break-up and all. Keep her feelings in mind too.

my 2 pennies worth, but as always, use your own opinions and gut instinct. Try not to let your life get bogged down with "What if's"
Old 8/16/04, 08:57 AM
GT Member

A free car is extremely hard to pass up, but in your case, my guess is the insurance costs are going to eat you alive at roughly $200-$250 per month, plus the cost of gas and general maintenance.

Bottom line is this. If your mom needs the cash, don't you think it's sort of selfish to get a $25K new car that you don't really need (but truly want) when she may very well be having to work multiple jobs and eating Raman Noodles?

You are only 18. Get something cheaper to get you by, and in a couple of years when you are payiing your own way, go down to the lots, pick out your own Mustang and make your own payments.

Plus, chances are, having a 300 hp Muscle Car at 18 (I don't care how responsible you are) is a recipe for disaster.

Or, on the other hand, it's your family and life, and do what you feel is the right thing to do.
Old 8/16/04, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

I agree with all of the above. The ramifications of accepting a "free" car are aren't worth it.

Find something a little more reliab;e than what you're driving now, save your money, and in a couple of years buy what you want. Just make sure you get a quote for insurance before you something like a Mustang. It's sure to be an eye opener, if not a deal breaker.
Old 8/16/04, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Linkoln@August 16, 2004, 8:40 AM
Alright guys. My mother has offered to buy me the new Mustang GT. She has the money all 25K+ because of the divorce, which screwed over my dad fiancially, thus in effect screwing over my chance at a car from him.

<snip>

Any suggestions?
Get an old Mustang that needs work, and drop $5 into it for a rebuilt motor and tranny, rebuild the front suspension and put on new tires and wheels.

That will run you $8k or so, and will be relatively reliable. Drive it for the next 5 years, and then go buy YOURSELF a new car with your own money.

And then you will really have the bug..
Old 8/16/04, 09:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

What a wonderful opportunity to mature into an adult! First, at 18 you do not need a 26k+ car. Concentrate on your education in order to secure the type of job that will afford you independence. Your mother is using this to garner points for her at your fathers expense. Divorces are difficult for everyone. The right thing would be to use that money to insure your future, not invest in a depreciating asset. You have a whole lifetime of new cars ahead. Do the noble thing and it will serve you for the rest of your life.

A new car is the reward for hard work and sacrifice and not a pawn in a power struggle. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Now you have a goal, make a plan and go for it, you will enjoy it so much more. Good luck
Old 8/16/04, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes be careful about the manipulation factor. If it already happens it wont stop. I see it with my brother in law. His mom buys things for him and gets him out of jams. He thinks he is making out by having this done, but he is under her every watch (and still lives with her eventhough he is in his mid-30s).

I have receive a similar offer. My mom and stepdad are buying me a 2005 GT as an inheritance. I am 30 years old and out of their house. They want to see me enjoy my inheritance. I have always been closer to my mom and step dad as opposed to my real dad.

As far a manipulation from my mom, it not there. I live in Pitt and she lives in VA Beach (8 hour drive). She does not expect me to do anything for the car. We have always helped each other out. And we still see each other about 10 times a year (and get to email everyday to say hi).

Overall, yes it can be a great offer. But it will make you hate the car if it is used as manipulation. And could possible hurt your relationship with your parents.
Old 8/16/04, 10:12 AM

Nice mom.

*all parties should note that this is sarcasm pointing out the screwing over of the dad financially.
Old 8/16/04, 11:02 AM
GT Member

Well it is a hard oppurunity. The problem is not lack of money for her. She has money but the ramifications of her buying a new car for me seem a bit dangerous. The scenario is like haveing a 100 dollars buying something that cost about 50 then having 50 left over. 25 could go to a new toy. My concern is that of if my mom needs the money sometime later.

Secondly I repeat I do not want the car (I do want it but not like immediately or impulsively or obessively). I NEED a new or newer car. My car is dangerous to drive. I can't continue with the car. Also I did not suggest the mustang to her. She found this site.....and she's seen me look at this site hundreds of times. I never spoke a word about it to her. She came up to me and asked if I wanted a the new GT.....it blew me away at first and then it kinda ticked me off cuz I'd rather buy it on my own (though fiancially I can't......and finding a new job has been incredibly difficult with college) and I'd rather not see her spend her money on me. I never really was spoiled to begin with. The last four years or so have been heck on me in almost everyway. But that is niether here of there. Now I will say I got my current car for free..........but in exchange my grandfather had to die. Really unfair trade.

I don't think I deserve the car.....I've only begun working 2 yrs ago.....and its just been expenses with my because my current car stinks money from me like we stink in air. You may think I'm exgerrating but you try driving with only one front brake for a week or so and tell me how that goes......

I really need to dicuss this over more with my mom. She makes it sound like shes stable and great.....I don't believe it. I'm a very cynical person. I will say some of the bad stuff like the stability of her fiances are really based on assumptions. I dunno how bad or good or whatever he situation is.....but in my gut tells me it could be better.

As for the "nice mom" remark. Yeah shut up its not your business. My dad isn't that great either. He's getting a brand new F-150 Lariat while I get the/his pos ranger if this doesn't pull through. To honest I think he's trying make himself look like a victim. Both my parents are trying the victim technique. I don't realy don't believe either one of them. The screwing part was that he's complaining aobut how he has to work 2 extra years so retirement has to wait. Whoopdi doo. 2 Years. I have about 40 years.

Y can't I win the lotto?! Ahh!!!
Old 8/16/04, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

TANSTAAFL... remember it!
Old 8/16/04, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

you should get a 5.0 fox there cheap and have a wide aftermarket well its wat i did
Old 8/16/04, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Find a polite way to turn her down. To me it seems she is trying to buy your favor, and then control you. It could be at the expense of you and your fathers relationship. If everything is cool between you and both your parents, REMAIN neutral. A better way might be to ask your mom to loan you some money to buy a good used car, then pay her back as you can.
Old 8/16/04, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MustangGuy@August 16, 2004, 9:22 AM
What a wonderful opportunity to mature into an adult! First, at 18 you do not need a 26k+ car. Concentrate on your education in order to secure the type of job that will afford you independence. Your mother is using this to garner points for her at your fathers expense. Divorces are difficult for everyone. The right thing would be to use that money to insure your future, not invest in a depreciating asset. You have a whole lifetime of new cars ahead. Do the noble thing and it will serve you for the rest of your life.

A new car is the reward for hard work and sacrifice and not a pawn in a power struggle. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Now you have a goal, make a plan and go for it, you will enjoy it so much more. Good luck
Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Linkoln, my guess is that you already know the answer to this one. Listen to your gut. You have many, many years ahead of you, and will likely own a number of nice cars in your lifetime. First things first, hmm?
B)
Old 8/16/04, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have to agree with MustangGuy and Robert on this one! Secure your future and don't submit yourself to manipulation even at the cost of a great car. Believe me, the cost is way higher than you will be willing to pay later.
Old 8/16/04, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

[a] Why the hello a GT?! Get a V6. I've NEVER met a mom who wants their 18 year old in a MORE powerful car
[b] FINANCE the thing and side-step the whole "all the money is gone" issue (what if HER car breaks down, what if she needs new appliances, whatever)
[c] You can take over payments (maybe) in 2-3 years if you finance for 5-6 years
[d] This is goofy anyways, we're helping you decide on a GT when ANY other new car suffices
Old 8/17/04, 01:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Your mom must be going throught a really hard time in her life right now.I would suggest you thank your mom for the offer,but tell her to take the money and invest it for the future.Your very young,and you will have plenty of time to put togeather enough money on your own to buy a future stang.
Old 8/17/04, 02:46 AM
GT Member

Take the offer. Selling your old car will help pay for the extra insurance and if the extra insurance does become a problem if your mother is willing to buy you a 26k car I'm sure she wouldn't have too many reservations about helping you out with them. If you don't decided to take it you'll still need to get yourself a new car. I wouldn't waste money trying to fix your Lincoln seeing as it will probably sputter and die on you eventually anyways.
Old 8/17/04, 02:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Divorce is never easy on anyone involved. Here's the thing. At 18 I give you a lot of credit for even asking yourself if you should accept this offer. My 18 year old would take it in a heart beat. You have to ask yourself a couple of other questions. Is your mom in the right frame of mind? Has the divorce caused her thinking to be cloudy? Could the money be better used on college? If college is otherwise taken care of, you could consider it. You may want to take the money and use it for a future house. Invest it, let it grow for a few years and have a decent down payment on a house. As a parent, we all want to help our children. My wife and I just gave our son 5k. That was comfortable for us. If 25k is comfortable for your mother, weigh the pros and cons carefully. Good luck.
Old 8/17/04, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Thanks Guys for the advice....

Yeah normally like your son Ponyboy, I prolly would've jumped on it. But the divorce is still like rippling onto other things and money is a concern now.