Sponsored by:

Spark Plus on 2008 Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/13, 02:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plus on 2008 Bullitt

Hey guys,

I'm due for a spark plug change. I've read the spark plugs snap and it seems like a hell of an ordeal to do at home. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to take the car in for the dealership to do ($360 for plugs and fuel filter) or is it something easy enough to do at home. I've never done it before, the most I've done is clean my throttle body, install cold air intake. One of the things I can't find is at what point did Ford use different spark plugs to avoid the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 6/7/13, 02:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sdsguy
Hey guys,

I'm due for a spark plug change. I've read the spark plugs snap and it seems like a hell of an ordeal to do at home. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to take the car in for the dealership to do ($360 for plugs and fuel filter) or is it something easy enough to do at home. I've never done it before, the most I've done is clean my throttle body, install cold air intake. One of the things I can't find is at what point did Ford use different spark plugs to avoid the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
They changed the head design in 12.07. Bullitt's have the new design so don't worry about the plug nightmare. (Still be careful as with any plug change but you won't have the carbon issue on the old longer plug.)

The brown boot shows you have the new design:

Old 6/7/13, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

They changed the head design in 12.07. Bullitt's have the new design so don't worry about the plug nightmare. (Still be careful as with any plug change but you won't have the carbon issue on the old longer plug.)

Thanks! Any tips for a first timer? Do I need a torque wrench or anything?
Old 6/7/13, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by sdsguy
Thanks! Any tips for a first timer? Do I need a torque wrench or anything?
A torque wrench is prob a good idea. After many years I've got the 'feel' for plugs but on aluminum heads I use a torque wrench.
Blow any sediment from the plug wells before you remove them so grit doesn't fall in the combustion chamber.
Double check the gap - don't trust the gap out of the box.

The 2008 Mustang Manual says to pull with a slight twisting motion for removing the coil on plugs. Recommends a bit of 'brake caliper grease' on the inside of the coil boots before installation. Tighten coil bolts to 44 lb-in/5 Nm.
It also says for "Late build vehicles" (Brown boot) to tighten plugs to 9 lb-ft/12 Nm. Silly book doesn't give the plug gap. It does for the 4.0L6 and the 5.4L 8, but not the 4.6L8.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/7/13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 6/7/13, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to know. Ill have to check the build date on my 08 GT/CS
Old 6/7/13, 05:11 PM
Post *****

I'm seeing .045 gap on a number of searches (TMS & google) but haven't found anything on a Ford/Motorcraft site.

When I search part numbers (Spark Plug Motorcraft Sp-509 [new with the 12mm threads]), 2 different parts houses show the Motorcraft set to .041.
http://www.theautopartsshop.com/spark-plug/misp509.html

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/7/13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6/7/13, 09:45 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A torque wrench is prob a good idea. After many years I've got the 'feel' for plugs but on aluminum heads I use a torque wrench.
Blow any sediment from the plug wells before you remove them so grit doesn't fall in the combustion chamber.
Double check the gap - don't trust the gap out of the box.

The 2008 Mustang Manual says to pull with a slight twisting motion for removing the coil on plugs. Recommends a bit of 'brake caliper grease' on the inside of the coil boots before installation. Tighten coil bolts to 44 lb-in/5 Nm.
It also says for "Late build vehicles" (Brown boot) to tighten plugs to 9 lb-ft/12 Nm. Silly book doesn't give the plug gap. It does for the 4.0L6 and the 5.4L 8, but not the 4.6L8.
If your going with an iridium or platinum plug do NOT try and gap them... they are pregapped and you risk knocking off platinum or iridium with the gapper... copper plugs you definitely need to check.

To the op. Copper will give you the most power/fuel economy but, will require replacement every 15-20k. But for 2-4 dollars a plug.. who cares
Old 6/7/13, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking

If your going with an iridium or platinum plug do NOT try and gap them... they are pregapped and you risk knocking off platinum or iridium with the gapper... copper plugs you definitely need to check.

To the op. Copper will give you the most power/fuel economy but, will require replacement every 15-20k. But for 2-4 dollars a plug.. who cares
Have you heard anything about the E3s?
Old 6/8/13, 07:02 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by muscledom

Have you heard anything about the E3s?
Not really. The e3 was advertized more for lawn mowers if I remember right
Old 6/8/13, 07:57 AM
Banned

Not really. The e3 was advertized more for lawn mowers if I remember right
Should I stick with OE?
Old 6/8/13, 08:05 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by muscledom

Should I stick with OE?
Oe would be an iridium plug wouldnt it? I always switch to coppers.
Old 6/8/13, 09:43 AM
Post *****

Thx! From the few sites I looked up it sounded like they were pre-gapped but none came out and actually said that. They did say the stock motorcraft SP509 were copper with platinum tip.
Old 6/8/13, 10:28 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Thx! From the few sites I looked up it sounded like they were pre-gapped but none came out and actually said that. They did say the stock motorcraft SP509 were copper with platinum tip.
The tip can break off if you try to gap it. Not always but it can.
Old 6/8/13, 11:01 AM
GT Member

Where do you guys get your plugs from? Autozone the plugs were about $40, AM was for $70, the dealership was $20. Do I need to change out the wires to or can those be reused?