2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

So what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/04, 03:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its two reasons:

Price - A V8 Premium ($25,705 MSRP) vs a V6 Premium ($19,370 MSRP) at 4.5% APR gives a $118 difference in montly payment. That's alot for some people. Then add cost difference of insurance...

Power - I have two friends that are incredibly intimidated by horsepower. They are afraid they'll do something stupid, or the car is just too powerful. Doesn't matter they can drive it like a V8 like a V6, they just don't want the power that is there.
Old 11/3/04, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quit crunching govt numbers... and look at the real world.

simple fact. do you think you are going to fill up your v8 ONLY 3 more times a year than a v6.

heck NO

in my post on page two I even spotted you a 200 $ differnence. so you think day in day out (not flooring it every time you touch the pedal) you STILL think you would only fill up your car 7 extra times in a v8 compared to a v6. <_<
Old 11/3/04, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Almost forgot: I can't afford the GT thanks to student loans
Old 11/3/04, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by houtex@November 3, 2004, 7:46 PM
hat, I outlined the difference, which is negligible. Still not buyin' the CAFE. CARB is about emissions, which is pretty dang low as it is.
The standards are based upon the entire fleet (of every vehicle manufactured under that nameplate), not the individual car; if there are more v6s than v8s, than there is more wiggle room for the company, especially now that trucks and SUVs have to answer to CAFE and CARB, which get lumped into the standard.

Also remember, that there is also a guzzler tax on anything that gets less than a certain average MPG (the 03 cobras had it, but interestingly, the 04's didn't).

If I just had my v8, I would spend $600/mo more in gas alone than I currently pay for my beater, it's gas, and it's insurance with the amount of driving that I do. If there's a number that you couldn't argue with, that should be it.
Old 11/3/04, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Ok. I get it, yo. It's all about the Benjamins. But any of that CAFE jive just don't jive with me, or you guys with V6s would be having I4s, and don't say "no" to that, 'cause it's the truth. So stop it.

Love yas! (in a purely plutonic way.)

Old 11/3/04, 06:25 PM

The V-8 will take more gas since you will ALWAYS be pushing it harder. The EPA test 'loop' is done on a dyno with a feather weight touch to the gas pedal.

Here is what I have been getting with my GT: 16 mpg in city going to work, and 23mpg at 70 mph on the highway.

The info center on the GT Premium allows you to see the mileage instantly as it happens.
Old 11/3/04, 06:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it would be cool if Ford came out with a V6 that had more HP then the regular V6? Say, a performance package with better exhaust that gave another 40 HP, and bigger wheels/tires then the regular V6? For less money then the GT, but more then the regular V6?

There was another post about how Ford linited the HP of the V6 by putting a smaller exhaust on it then they could have. They ddidn't want it stealing too many sales from the GT.....

What do you guys think?
Old 11/3/04, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Another 40HP would probably make me buy the V6 then. Especially if the cost wasn't that substantial say about 1500 for

40HP
optional fog lights,bigger wheels, or some better door striping other than the word "Mustang" ( looking for something similar to the GT300 Stripes I saw posted) and option to delete spoiler

What do you think?
Old 11/3/04, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I think Ford could do something like that for $1500. A better exhaust wouldn't cost that musch more, nor would bigger tires/wheels. I think it might be a good option for Ford.

We might not see something like that for a while though........
Old 11/3/04, 07:33 PM

For me since im not buyting it it's up to my parents. My parents have to carry an umbrella policy to cover thier assets in case they were involved in a SERIOUS accident. So my insurance companies are VERY limited. Well there are exactly two from which to choose. NIETHER will even write me an insurance policy for a GT. So if myt some stroke of god i get a GT it will be in my dda's name.
Old 11/4/04, 12:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by houtex@November 4, 2004, 12:50 AM
But any of that CAFE jive just don't jive with me, or you guys with V6s would be having I4s, and don't say "no" to that, 'cause it's the truth. So stop it.

Love yas! (in a purely plutonic way.)

And thus Ford created the Focus and it was good :P
Old 11/4/04, 03:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Im buying the V6 for a number of different reasons.

-like the front end with the indented license plate area.
-like the rear fake gas cap with horse logo better on V6.
-prefer the optional spinner cap wheels.
-V6 motor is basically same as one in ranger,so should be well tested.

ps: i can afford the GT ,but maybe im getting old ,but the V6 is really gonna be more then fine for my daily driver needs.
Old 11/4/04, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by tom_vilsack@November 4, 2004, 4:28 AM
Im buying the V6 for a number of different reasons.

-like the front end with the indented license plate area.
-like the rear fake gas cap with horse logo better on V6.
-prefer the optional spinner cap wheels.
-V6 motor is basically same as one in ranger,so should be well tested.

ps: i can afford the GT ,but maybe im getting old ,but the V6 is really gonna be more then fine for my daily driver needs.
that's right, i think the V6 engine is to large 4 the different to the V8.
I like the V6 styling to, but 300 hp are 300 hp

In germany i pay the same insurance for the V6 and the V8 (full service ca. 1250.- US$/year)
ABS and traction Control kosts extra at the V6 and you can't get manual and IUP at this time.

What's the different: A little bit more gas for 50% more power, but 4000.- US$ more und you have a real porsche-killer!

I love the V6 style, but i'll buy the GT and order the V6 grille, the pony-medaillie, the 16" machined rims (for winter tires) and the front bumper from my free importer.

You can't get a cheaper V8 in this world!
Old 11/4/04, 05:31 AM
GT Member

a couple of points to bring this conversation back to reality a bit: if you do alot of city driving, stop and go stuff, the difference between the 4.0 and 4.6 will be MUCH more than 1 mpg...it will be a huge increase in consumption with the 4.6. the handling for the 4.0 will be BETTER than the 4.6...there's less weight up front over the axle...just look at the pictures of the engines and check out how much of the 4.6 hangs out over the front axle. the 4.0 will have much better handling in the twisties AND from a stop light the 4.0 will hold it's own against a 4.6 up to the next stop light...don't believe it? check out the gearing on the manual transmissions for 1st gear betwen the 4.0 and the 4.6. and lastly, 5000 dollars is a lot of money to most people...i think the v6 is clearly the value leader between the two. the 4.0 is a better buy. jackg90seville 95k
Old 11/4/04, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Falchion@November 3, 2004, 7:54 PM
Maybe it would be cool if Ford came out with a V6 that had more HP then the regular V6? Say, a performance package with better exhaust that gave another 40 HP, and bigger wheels/tires then the regular V6? For less money then the GT, but more then the regular V6?

There was another post about how Ford linited the HP of the V6 by putting a smaller exhaust on it then they could have. They ddidn't want it stealing too many sales from the GT.....

What do you guys think?
This is why the aftermarket companies are in business.

The GT will always be better then the standard V6 and Ford will make the HP way lower then the GT because if they put it at 250 hp then it would not be worth it for the GT.

Buy the V6 and take the 5000 you saved and but it into new wheels, exhaust etc. but it still will cost you more to get it up to the GT perforamnce standard, so in that respect it is worth it to get the GT.

V6's bowe down to the GT's :worship:

All Mustangs are worthy.
Old 11/4/04, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hatsharpener@November 3, 2004, 5:58 PM
If I just had my v8, I would spend $600/mo more in gas alone than I currently pay for my beater, it's gas, and it's insurance with the amount of driving that I do. If there's a number that you couldn't argue with, that should be it.
$600/mo MORE in gas??? OMG how much driving do you do?
Old 11/4/04, 07:27 AM

Ford needs to drop the Excursion already, that would help their CAFE out just a bit, I know a guy with one, it is just sitting at his house, he doesn't drive it, with the gas prices at what they are now.
Old 11/4/04, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang+November 4, 2004, 7:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Super Sonic Blue Mustang @ November 4, 2004, 7:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Falchion@November 3, 2004, 7:54 PM

What do you guys think?
This is why the aftermarket companies are in business.

The GT will always be better then the standard V6 and Ford will make the HP way lower then the GT because if they put it at 250 hp then it would not be worth it for the GT.

Buy the V6 and take the 5000 you saved and but it into new wheels, exhaust etc. but it still will cost you more to get it up to the GT perforamnce standard, so in that respect it is worth it to get the GT.

V6's bowe down to the GT's :worship:

All Mustangs are worthy. [/b][/quote]
I think I would just pay $5000 extra for that sweet sound coming from the exhaust.
Old 11/4/04, 10:50 AM

Still I think there's a place for an "in between" V6 that would be less money then the GT, but more money and perforance then the regular V6.

Only two models isn't enough.......
Old 11/4/04, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Falchion@November 3, 2004, 7:54 PM
Ford could follow what Scion is doing with the tC model. They basically gave import tuner fans a basic car that more-or-less came loaded. Then they allowed buyers to add all the ultra-cool aftermarket toys before they even buy it.

Anywho, Scion offers an optional Supercharger that will tack on another 25 to 40 horse (I don't remember how many exactly). Now the Scion SC is ungoodly expensive at $3,000. But I'm sure Ford SVT could come out with a turbo that V6er's could have added at purchase. Although I'm not sure I'd plop down another $1,500 or so to get an addition 25 to 30 horse.

Quick Reply: So what's the point?