2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Similarities between a Mustang and an F150

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/05, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AWmustang@June 21, 2005, 6:24 AM
Ok I'm relatively new to the boards, but come on give me a little credit.

My father has been taking his cars to these guys for as long as I can remember. When I called to make the appointment for my car's first oil change, the response I got was "Your dad was telling me you got a new car, I've been waiting to get a look at it."

This is a small shop where they know me, by face, not just a name in a computer. And these are car guys. So I wouldn't say a total stranger is cleaning my car.

It's better than if I take the car to the dealer I bought it at where they run it through an automatic car wash :nono: I avoid automatic washes at all costs.
Hey . . . it's all good . . . . I was just pulling your leg.
Old 6/21/05, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Boltzman@June 18, 2005, 9:17 AM
i pay 15.99 for oil change filter etc. and call it a day..no muss no fuss
And you get to read outdated car mags while you wait! Yippee!
Old 6/21/05, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by The Lyin' King@June 21, 2005, 11:54 AM
Hey . . . it's all good . . . . I was just pulling your leg.

I saw the little jester so I knew you were just pulling my leg... i guess my response came out stronger than I intended. It's all good.
Old 6/21/05, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Learn to change youre own oil, there is nothing wrong with it really ! takes no time at all.. and you and youre car will be the better for it really !
Old 6/21/05, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AWmustang@June 21, 2005, 11:11 AM
I saw the little jester so I knew you were just pulling my leg... i guess my response came out stronger than I intended. It's all good.
It's great that you have a place you've been dealing with for years that you can trust.

I have nine vehicles and none of them have/will ever see the inside of a Spiffy Lube . . . I don't care what anybody says to the contrary.

I live at least 90 minutes from anywhere metropolitan so I do most of my own work (automotive and otherwise) myself. Even our small town garage is 30 minutes away and they are always so backed up you can't get a same day/week/month appointment for anything.

Take the guys at the shop for romp if you haven't already . . . I'm sure they get tired of working on/driving average rides .
Old 6/21/05, 01:11 PM

Here's a trick I Use - To keep oil from spilling everywhere take a metal punch and punch a hole in the bottom high side of the oil filter (tap lightly with a hammer). Place your catch pan under filter and pull out the punch, It takes a few minutes for the oil to run out but it' better than oil running all over the cross members. When oil only drips from filter place a rag on the cross member under filter. When you remove filter the rag will catch the few drips you will have.
Old 6/21/05, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

:scratch:

er....I gotta put my .02 in....

I have an electrical engineering degree. I work in a machine shop. I can program CNC machining programs for almost all types of 2d operations. I have built motors, rebuilt brakes, broken bolts and removed broken bolts. Once I completly rebuilt my push mower in my driveway after comsuming WAY TOO many adult beverages...and the SOB started with the first pull.

But

The idea of not letting Jiffy Lube change my oil for $19.99 (and yes I stand and watch them) is nuts. The local Jiffy Lube has 3 retired guys who are very good and very thorough. They use quality oil (who said it was recycled?) and stand by their work.

I don't understand why a competent shop can't do this....heck the local Ford dealership charges $22.00....How much is your time worth?

Jay
Old 6/21/05, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@June 21, 2005, 1:45 PM
:scratch:

er....I gotta put my .02 in....

I have an electrical engineering degree. I work in a machine shop. I can program CNC machining programs for almost all types of 2d operations. I have built motors, rebuilt brakes, broken bolts and removed broken bolts. Once I completly rebuilt my push mower in my driveway after comsuming WAY TOO many adult beverages...and the SOB started with the first pull.

But

The idea of not letting Jiffy Lube change my oil for $19.99 (and yes I stand and watch them) is nuts. The local Jiffy Lube has 3 retired guys who are very good and very thorough. They use quality oil (who said it was recycled?) and stand by their work.

I don't understand why a competent shop can't do this....heck the local Ford dealership charges $22.00....How much is your time worth?

Jay
My time is priceless . . . . that's why I chose to spend it the way I do
Old 6/21/05, 05:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I change my own oil.

not because i won't "allow" shops to do work on my car

not because i "save money"

because between those two things, if the shop i would go to changes it and i have problems, they are responsible for the problem, and i used to work at that same shop, besides i hardly believe that anyone working in a shop that i would go to would not be competent to change my oil

also i only save about 3 or 4 dollars which in some cases is less than the money i spend on gas to get to the store to buy the stuff.

so why do i change my own oil? 2 reasons

1. My father always did, so i started, and always do
2. I just feel like it

besides between jacking the car up and getting the torque wrench ready, yes i set the torque for the drain pan bolt... one more way to be sure it doesn't strip, it only takes me about 15-20 minutes to do it.
Old 6/21/05, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I always change my own oil for one main reason. It gives me a reason to play mechanic in my garage. I simply crank up the radio, light a cigar, and have fun using my tools.

....and the kids say: "Daddy can do anything."