2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I trade in my '07?

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/07, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Mustang Ed:

I bought a NAV system from KC and retrofitted it into my 2005 - never ONCE did I consider trading in my nearly two year old car just because it didn't have all the toys I wanted.

IMHO just adding it after the fact (while certainly not cheap) makes more sense than losing a LOT of money in depreciation plus paying the higher 2008 prices for a new car.

My recommendation would be to retrofit a NAV and be done with it. You can also buy a Gentek rear view mirror with the mood lighting (and compass/temp/Homelink) which is better than the one included with the comfort group.

You'll have saved money and be proud of having done the mods yourself.
Art,

I agree with what you did. You were smart to keep your Mustang rather than trading it in on a new one. You saved a ton of money by upgrading your Mustang.
Old 4/24/07, 10:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the first post was clear enough that he was never intending to trade his V6 in for a GT
Old 4/24/07, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Fritz makes a good point

Originally Posted by FRITZ
I traded my '05 GT in on an '07 GT/CS, i took a couple K hit on it, but it was the best move i ever made (as far as cars go). The '05 rattled the engine knocked, just a few of the things that were wrong with it.
Hey Fritz,

Your situation of trading your '05 GT in on an '07 GT/CS is a great example of something that makes a lot of sense to me and something I would have done myself.

Why? Because for my wife and me, the Comfort Package with the power passenger seat is very important to have. My wife is fairly short but she has great visibility from our passenger seat in our 2007 Mustang GT. The power passenger seat became available with the 2007 Mustang.

I believe upgrading to a power passenger seat on an '05 or '06 Mustang would be more of a hassle than most other upgrades. Even if you just engineered a way to raise the passenger seat as I've seen in a post, I would be concerned about the safety and liability issues. It's a mod that I couldn't do myself.

So sometimes it is worth trading up to a new Mustang when you really want special features or options that are not practical to upgrade to on your current Mustang.

Fritz in your case you got yourself a new California Special!

Thanks for your post. It reminds me that each individual's situation is different. Sometimes it's a good thing to pay the money to move up to a new Mustang.
Old 4/24/07, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your only downside is you are taking a big depreciation hit to sell your 07. If money is no object go for it.

Originally Posted by JCC07
Maybe someone here can help me with this problem...

In February, I decided to order a 2007 Mustang V6 Premium. I wanted it in Vista Blue with a Parchment Interior, Pony Package, Comfort Group, Anti-Lock Brakes, and a Navigation System. My local dealer took my order, but never gave me any order number, build date, or any other paperwork.

Repeated phone calls to this dealer got me nowhere. After 3 weeks he still could not give me an order number or a build date. He then told me that he had received a memo from Ford telling him that navigation systems would no longer be offered on V6 models, only on GT's. Therefore, he told me, my Mustang would not be coming with a navigation system. This really bothered me, and I started feeling like these idiots had lied to me all along, and that no order had ever been sent in.

To make a long story short, I needed a new car pretty soon since the one I was driving was 12 years old and about to break down for good (200K miles, steering shot, you name it), so I compromised and bought a V6 Premium Mustang off the lot from another dealer. This one was Redfire, gray interior, Pony Package, but no Comfort Group, and certainly no Navigation system.

Now, I'm reading about these new 2008's. I love the idea of the mood lighting, and if there's any way that I can get a navigation system, that would be awesome. The only problem is, would I really be making a huge mistake in ordering a 2008 and then trading in my '07 this quickly after buying it?

Or am I being obsessive about Mustangs? Keep in mind, I want to be happy. I tend to keep vehicles for a long time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.