2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I trade in my '07?

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/07, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I trade in my '07?

Maybe someone here can help me with this problem...

In February, I decided to order a 2007 Mustang V6 Premium. I wanted it in Vista Blue with a Parchment Interior, Pony Package, Comfort Group, Anti-Lock Brakes, and a Navigation System. My local dealer took my order, but never gave me any order number, build date, or any other paperwork.

Repeated phone calls to this dealer got me nowhere. After 3 weeks he still could not give me an order number or a build date. He then told me that he had received a memo from Ford telling him that navigation systems would no longer be offered on V6 models, only on GT's. Therefore, he told me, my Mustang would not be coming with a navigation system. This really bothered me, and I started feeling like these idiots had lied to me all along, and that no order had ever been sent in.

To make a long story short, I needed a new car pretty soon since the one I was driving was 12 years old and about to break down for good (200K miles, steering shot, you name it), so I compromised and bought a V6 Premium Mustang off the lot from another dealer. This one was Redfire, gray interior, Pony Package, but no Comfort Group, and certainly no Navigation system.

Now, I'm reading about these new 2008's. I love the idea of the mood lighting, and if there's any way that I can get a navigation system, that would be awesome. The only problem is, would I really be making a huge mistake in ordering a 2008 and then trading in my '07 this quickly after buying it?

Or am I being obsessive about Mustangs? Keep in mind, I want to be happy. I tend to keep vehicles for a long time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.
Old 4/22/07, 12:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i say go for the GT with all you want, no doubt later on it will sell for more and you will not be sorry, if you are stuck to the V6 then just order one with everything you want and then just call up KC and order a nav system and put it in the V6, that is what most people are doing with there 05-07 GT's and V6's
Old 4/22/07, 04:12 AM

I say shoot for whatever makes you happier... & go for what you really want... You'll be glad that you did
Old 4/22/07, 05:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
How many miles on the car currently?

The depreciation drop is generally the biggest the first year (15-18% decrease in value), but there are exceptions, based on the desirability of the car.

In this situation, it might be good to analyze the cost of retrofitting options you want most against the depreciation drop to help you decide.

Also, selling the car privately generally nets you more than a trade.
Old 4/22/07, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Essentially it comes down to this:

Does having a GT over a V6 matter to that much? It's obvious it doesn't because you wanted a V6 in the first place. It would be alot cheaper just to get a Nav installed rather than lose a few grand on a trade.
Old 4/22/07, 07:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05blackV6
Essentially it comes down to this:

Does having a GT over a V6 matter to that much? It's obvious it doesn't because you wanted a V6 in the first place. It would be alot cheaper just to get a Nav installed rather than lose a few grand on a trade.
Old 4/22/07, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

My vote would be that if you can afford it, then trade now.

Life is too short to wait! Best of Luck. Joe
Old 4/22/07, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Guys, I don't see where he's talking about upgrading to a GT. If you're going apples to apples - V6 to V6 you're going to lose a TON of money in the deal. As stated the highest depreciation is at the point where you sign on the dotted line. Also, if you financed, you've barely paid into your principal at this point so you'll lose there as well. If you can be patient and look for donor cars for the parts you want you'll eventually find them. Regarding the NAV, it would be a lot cheaper to just pick up an aftermarket system.
Old 4/22/07, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
My vote would be that if you can afford it, then trade now.

Life is too short to wait! Best of Luck. Joe

I tend to agree with Joe....ife is just too short to put up with something you really don't want...and with a car - every time you drive it you are going to be wishing you had what you really wanted in the 1st place. Let this be a "learning event" (an expensive one I'm afraid) so that next time you don't settle for less than what you want. How about driving your V6 18 - 24 months until the next gen Mustang is out - then you can trade up for that and have something to look forward to (and research) in the meantime What you have is still a nice Mustang and you can still do some nice mods without trying too much $$ in the car.
Old 4/22/07, 03:08 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I traded my 05 V6 exactly one year after purchasing it for a 06 GT. My dealer gave me within $500 of what I was asking in Auto Trader. I did it at a time when the new body style was still in high demand and hard to find. I've never regretted my decision. You only go around once, you might as well make yourself happy. Good Luck with your decision.

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 4/22/07, 06:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are not upgrading to a GT, then no way trade it in. Start personalizing, you will never win chasing the next year's model. Since it is the same car, you can always upgrade the gizmos. With neon 'mood' lighting being played out for years, particularly with the compact crowd, I have no desire for it, I think its even gone out of style for home computers with it. The nav is an easy upgrade for virtually the same cost as it is as an option. To order a new car just for that would make it an $8000 nav system....

As for comfort group, I only miss it because I got back with my g/f after the car was built and she's 5-nothing, so I may of gotten it for the power seat. I'm not crazy about the additonal weight another power seat adds either. You can get heated seats installed pretty easilly though.

Sounds like you are experiencing buyers remorse, which always happens a bit around a month after buying a car(especially when getting a new car payment with the car). You have a nice car now, tinker with it a bit and you'll get past it.
Old 4/22/07, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna
I traded my 05 V6 exactly one year after purchasing it for a 06 GT. My dealer gave me within $500 of what I was asking in Auto Trader. I did it at a time when the new body style was still in high demand and hard to find. I've never regretted my decision. You only go around once, you might as well make yourself happy. Good Luck with your decision.

Welcome to the forum!!
The timing was the key on this trade, from a purely financial point of view. At this point in time, there are more cars out there now, so a trade like this one would be less likely.
Old 4/22/07, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I think if you are going from one v6 to another v6, it would be a waste, unless you're going for something like a v6 vert. I say keep what you got and personalize it. If you want nav systems, there are plenty out there for the Mustang. You can probably get an aftermarket Kenwood touchscreen DVD radio, with their NAV unit for a little under $1500 which in my opinion would be a lot better than going into greater debt (buying a new v6) just so you can have a nav unit. Think about contacting KC as well as you can always have a factory NAV unit retrofitted into your Mustang.

But I understand you have to do what makes you happen and if you aren't happy in this car, then get out and get you something that will make you happy. The last thing you want to be is stuck in a car that you don't like until the majority of the debt is paid off to where you can trade it in.

Try selling it locally, or placing ads for it on the Internet like on E-Bay, Craiglist, .etc and see what you can get for it. You may be able to get close to what you want for it. If you had a trusted family member or a friend that wanted you car, you could always sign it over to them and let them take over payments (I think this can be done?) while you go out and get the Mustang you want.

Just some thoughts here.
Old 4/22/07, 10:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Banks don't do 'take over payments'.
Old 4/23/07, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Banks don't do 'take over payments'.
No but if he can find someone who's willing to take the car off his hands and get a loan from a bank for the remaining balance of the loan, it can be done...and this was what I was getting at.

Thank you.
Old 4/23/07, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JCC07
Maybe someone here can help me with this problem...

In February, I decided to order a 2007 Mustang V6 Premium. I wanted it in Vista Blue with a Parchment Interior, Pony Package, Comfort Group, Anti-Lock Brakes, and a Navigation System. My local dealer took my order, but never gave me any order number, build date, or any other paperwork.

Repeated phone calls to this dealer got me nowhere. After 3 weeks he still could not give me an order number or a build date. He then told me that he had received a memo from Ford telling him that navigation systems would no longer be offered on V6 models, only on GT's. Therefore, he told me, my Mustang would not be coming with a navigation system. This really bothered me, and I started feeling like these idiots had lied to me all along, and that no order had ever been sent in.

To make a long story short, I needed a new car pretty soon since the one I was driving was 12 years old and about to break down for good (200K miles, steering shot, you name it), so I compromised and bought a V6 Premium Mustang off the lot from another dealer. This one was Redfire, gray interior, Pony Package, but no Comfort Group, and certainly no Navigation system.

Now, I'm reading about these new 2008's. I love the idea of the mood lighting, and if there's any way that I can get a navigation system, that would be awesome. The only problem is, would I really be making a huge mistake in ordering a 2008 and then trading in my '07 this quickly after buying it?

Or am I being obsessive about Mustangs? Keep in mind, I want to be happy. I tend to keep vehicles for a long time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.
If it were me, I'd take the money I'd be losing on the depreciation when trading in for the 2008 Mustang and put it into upgrading my current Mustang.

But you're not me. And it sounds like you really want that 2008 Mustang. Make yourself happy. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Old 4/23/07, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Mustang Ed:

I bought a NAV system from KC and retrofitted it into my 2005 - never ONCE did I consider trading in my nearly two year old car just because it didn't have all the toys I wanted.

IMHO just adding it after the fact (while certainly not cheap) makes more sense than losing a LOT of money in depreciation plus paying the higher 2008 prices for a new car.

My recommendation would be to retrofit a NAV and be done with it. You can also buy a Gentek rear view mirror with the mood lighting (and compass/temp/Homelink) which is better than the one included with the comfort group.

You'll have saved money and be proud of having done the mods yourself.
Old 4/23/07, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Do what makes you happy, sounds like you didn't do it in the first place though. If it were me and I was happy with the rest of my car (colour and the like) then just buy a nav system and be done with it. Unless you have a bunch of cash around because you're probably going to take a bath on the deal.
Old 4/23/07, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the Advice!

Thanks for all your help...I think it is just a case of frustration at Ford for not having the entire package ready to buy from the get-go. On the other hand, just about everything I can think of that I want seems to be available for purchase. I just can't have it all at once right now .

Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. It would clearly not be worth trading in, especially since I really do like a lot of other things on the vehicle, and what I miss are things which can be added over time.

Thanks again!
Old 4/23/07, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I traded my '05 GT in on an '07 GT/CS, i took a couple K hit on it, but it was the best move i ever made (as far as cars go). The '05 rattled the engine knocked, just a few of the things that were wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my '07?