2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I Be Scared?

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/17, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Be Scared?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a fun car and an S197 GT is on the top of my list. However, the more research I do the more I get nervous. I'm seeing horror stories about interiors flooding due to seams not being sealed properly from the factory, smart junction boxes failing repeatedly, gauges not working, etc. How common are these issues? Are some years better than others? I'm a college student with almost no car experience and little money for repairs. Should I just get a Civic and cry or are these cars reliable? How many major repairs have you needed since owning your Mustang?

EDIT: I know there have been other threads about this but it looks like it's been at least a few years since the last one. I would appreciate a current account of how things are holding up.

Last edited by Number4Buckshot; 12/29/17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12/29/17, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Buckshot, I bought an '06 GT 4.6L with 89K miles last year. To date (94K miles) after doing routine maintenance, plugs, oil, fluids, belt, etc. the car has been great. At this point in the cars life's the things you've mentioned should have been fixed if they happened at all. You have to be careful when reading forums as most people that post will post about problems they are having. Folks just don't think of posting how good their car has been. If possible make sure the car you are buying has been well maintained, and not beat to death. Taking it to a trusted mechanic for a survey before you buy is suggested. Be patient, and do your due diligence. These 197's are getting more difficult to find, but they are out there in good condition. Good luck in your search.

Her's a post I put up a couple weeks ago to help ease your mind a bit.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-later-544951/

Last edited by wanted33; 12/29/17 at 11:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (12/29/17), NC14GT (12/31/17), Number4Buckshot (12/29/17)
Old 12/29/17, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to tell if a clutch is going out on these cars? Engagement point high on the pedal? 4th gear pulls on the highway?
Old 12/29/17, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You can feel it when it engages as it will feel like it's skipping/bumping/jumping. And, a pull in any gear will tell you if it's slipping. As a rule the T-86 tranny as a bit stiff through the gears when cold, but if it doesn't smooth out when warmed it may just need the fluid changed. That's an easy job if you have a lift. My Ford dealer changed the fluid in mine for 80 bucks.

FYI, the T-86 can still feel a bit notchy even after a fluid change. But, they are very good transmissions.

Last edited by wanted33; 12/29/17 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Number4Buckshot (12/29/17)
Old 12/29/17, 01:12 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Buckshot, I bought an '06 GT 4.6L with 89K miles last year. To date (94K miles) after doing routine maintenance, plugs, oil, fluids, belt, etc. the car has been great. At this point in the cars life's the things you've mentioned should have been fixed if they happened at all. You have to be careful when reading forums as most people that post will post about problems they are having. Folks just don't think of posting how good their car has been. If possible make sure the car you are buying has been well maintained, and not beat to death. Taking it to a trusted mechanic for a survey before you buy is suggested. Be patient, and do your due diligence. These 197's are getting more difficult to find, but they are out there in good condition. Good luck in your search.

Her's a post I put up a couple weeks ago to help ease your mind a bit.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-later-544951/
Jim, I was actually going to add to what you posted, but after reading everything you brought up, I honestly can't say that I could've worded anything any better that you've already covered.. So I'll just add by saying that I couldn't agree more
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
NC14GT (12/31/17), wanted33 (12/29/17)
Old 12/29/17, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jim, I was actually going to add to what you posted, but after reading everything you brought up, I honestly can't say that I could've worded anything any better that you've already covered.. So I'll just add by saying that I couldn't agree more
Rocky, I do have a lucid moment from time to time. But, as I'm sure you know, they seem to come further apart these days.
m05fastbackGT (12/29/17)
Old 12/29/17, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Check the recycled aluminum beer can hood for lifting paint,open the hood and check the lip on the front of the hood.
wanted33 (12/30/17)
Old 12/29/17, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Rocky, I do have a lucid moment from time to time. But, as I'm sure you know, they seem to come further apart these days.
Nah, that's just you being modest my friend

Originally Posted by hobojack
Check the recycled aluminum beer can hood for lifting paint,open the hood and check the lip on the front of the hood.
Almost forgot about the bud lite can hood, "Dilly Dilly"
wanted33 (12/30/17)
Old 12/31/17, 06:50 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,078 Likes on 674 Posts
I certainly agree about reading forums. Not only here with Mustangs but the numerous forums I have belonged to and read over many years. Every car is a disaster to purchase if you read all the negativity in the posts. It will scare a potential buyer out of his mind. What you must remember is that many of the problems posted are potential problems for you. It doesn't mean it is going to happen. It is just what some owners have experienced. Some of these problems are occurring with high mileage neglected cars left outside all winter. It would be nice to hear about cars that are lower mileage, one or two owners, garage kept, etc... and see how many issues they have. As posted earlier, owners don't write often about those. Having owned my GT since new I have had no issues other than maintenance (batteries, tires, fluids, etc.. Most of the 47k miles on my GT are highway miles. If you buy the right car you will be fine. If you buy a 5 or 6 owner GT with no maintenance history and 100,000+ miles, you are asking for it 9 times out of 10. Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
m05fastbackGT (12/31/17), wanted33 (12/31/17)
Old 12/31/17, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I certainly agree about reading forums. Not only here with Mustangs but the numerous forums I have belonged to and read over many years. Every car is a disaster to purchase if you read all the negativity in the posts. It will scare a potential buyer out of his mind. What you must remember is that many of the problems posted are potential problems for you. It doesn't mean it is going to happen. It is just what some owners have experienced. Some of these problems are occurring with high mileage neglected cars left outside all winter. It would be nice to hear about cars that are lower mileage, one or two owners, garage kept, etc... and see how many issues they have. As posted earlier, owners don't write often about those. Having owned my GT since new I have had no issues other than maintenance (batteries, tires, fluids, etc.. Most of the 47k miles on my GT are highway miles. If you buy the right car you will be fine. If you buy a 5 or 6 owner GT with no maintenance history and 100,000+ miles, you are asking for it 9 times out of 10. Good luck!!
Absolutely 100% spot on and I couldn't agree more
Old 12/31/17, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Buckshot, I think you have valid concerns

We have owned 5 Honda / Acuras and 3 Mustangs

You should add to your list that 2005 to 2008 Job 1 GT's have 2-Piece spark plugs that can separate during removal
Old 1/7/18, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
Hey Number4, it sounds like Barry is your kindred spirit, so you should listen to him, LOL . . .

I saw your thread on the other forum also and didn't have much to add . . . but overall philosophical note: do you really want the distraction of a fun car while you are in college? If you are going to school for something related like mechanical engineering it could be a good compliment to your education . . . but if studying something completely different then it could be a distraction from your studies.

A car like the Mustang is a lot more fun but that comes with some risk of some issues and you need to see those problems as fun projects, or it could become a major frustration. If you'd rather focus on your studies and not your car, then a boring Civic or Camry is probably the better choice.

Related story: when I went to college (for mechanical engineering coincidentally) I had a 1970 Olds 442. That thing was a constant string of "fun projects." But I just didn't have the time or money to deal with it, so I sold it (cheap). Sometimes I regret that decision and wish I had kept it . . . but that is just a fantasy, reality is that I was better off without the distraction.

Last edited by Bert; 1/7/18 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added "related story"
Buckshot Barry (1/7/18)