2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Short throw shift

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/07, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tantal
I have the Hurst shifter in my current '07 Shelby GT and it definitely has a very pronounced spring loaded self-centering shift lever.

The Hust in my car is very smooth, precise, quick, quiet and I cannot think of anything it lacks in performance, quality or looks.
I drove the one in the concept Shelby GT and it did not have this spring. They must have changed it because the one I dove felt like like an old army truck shifter.
Old 10/17/07, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Is this a Hurst feature only available for a Shelby? This is the first I've heard of the new Hurst short shifters having self centering springs.

It would be interesting to find out if new Hurst short shifters coming out have the self centering springs engineered into their product. With given inventory out in the various retail outfits it may take awhile before we hear of this or this is confirmed.

I'm skeptical at this point. May be Shelby feature only................

Regardless I still think my MGW is the best even if the cost is 1/3 more then a Hurst or other shifters. Quality and world class customer service always win out in my book.
Old 10/17/07, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tantal
I have the Hurst shifter in my current '07 Shelby GT and it definitely has a very pronounced spring loaded self-centering shift lever.

The Hust in my car is very smooth, precise, quick, quiet and I cannot think of anything it lacks in performance, quality or looks.

Hi Tantal,

All S197GT's with 5-speed transmissions have a strong spring loaded self-centering feel The reason is because the stock Tremec 3650 transmission used in the S197GT has a strong internal spring to center the shifter. When you shorten the shifter movement and stiffen the bushings used to isolate noise and vibration you reduce your hand's mechanical advantage over the transmission and you get more feel for what is mechanically happening in the transmission case. This loss in mechanical advantage is what causes the increase in effort for shifting which is why the transmission's internal return spring is felt so much more strongly as the shifter's ratio is reduced. In other words as the shift throws get shorter the transmission has a more direct effect on what you feel and the effort it takes to shift gears. There is no need for an additional spring to center the shifter because the spring inside the transmission effectively is made stronger when you reduce the shift throw.

HTH!
Old 10/17/07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pville piper
I drove the one in the concept Shelby GT and it did not have this spring. They must have changed it because the one I dove felt like like an old army truck shifter.
Hi pville piper,

If the car you drove did not have a strong return to center feel there was something wrong with the transmission itself or the shifter installation. Crawl under your car and disconnect the shifter from the transmission shift lever. Try to rotate the shift arm and you will find that there is a strong spring already present in the transmission. Now move the shifter lever and you will see that it moves feely in any direction. The return spring is internal to the transmission as part of the shift rail mechanisim. If you doubt me call Tremec and ask them about the shift rail return spring in the Tremec 3650.

HTH!
Old 10/17/07, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 302svt
I have the Pro 5.0 with the Hurst Chrome Handle and white ****. The best of both worlds.
Hi 302svt,

Hurst makes a billet Steeda Tri-Ax copy just like the Pro 5.0 you have. You didn't have to buy the handle and **** and add it to your shifter.

HTH!
Old 10/17/07, 09:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Sounds more like a T5...
Old 10/17/07, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by philster2003
Is this a Hurst feature only available for a Shelby? This is the first I've heard of the new Hurst short shifters having self centering springs.

It would be interesting to find out if new Hurst short shifters coming out have the self centering springs engineered into their product. With given inventory out in the various retail outfits it may take awhile before we hear of this or this is confirmed.

I'm skeptical at this point. May be Shelby feature only................

Regardless I still think my MGW is the best even if the cost is 1/3 more then a Hurst or other shifters. Quality and world class customer service always win out in my book.
Hi philster2003,

No this is not a Shelby only Hurst shifter feature, they don't have a spring in the shifter body that is the transmission's internal shifter return spring being felt.

There is no doubt the MGW is an excellent design and is built to an impressive level of quality with beautiful machine work that hopefully you will never see again after installation. The MGW shifter is well isolated and masks the mechanical feel of the transmission by using their own anti-vibration technology in the shifter lever, localized damping materials and resisting the urge to use poly bushings for isolation between the shifter, transmission and body. But it still does not solve the cause of poor shifting which is binding due to misalignment between the semi-stationary shifter and the tranmission shift rails.

To fully resolve the actual cause of the shifter and transmission shift rail misalignment you need to install proper motor mounts (and depending on the motor mounts possibly some sort of torque limiter), or fully mount the shifter to the transmission. Once you have completed these upgrades if you miss a powershift even with the stock shifter the problem is all in your shifting technique.

HTH!
Old 10/17/07, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PonyDNA
Hi 302svt,

Hurst makes a billet Steeda Tri-Ax copy just like the Pro 5.0 you have. You didn't have to buy the handle and **** and add it to your shifter.

HTH!
Could you send me a link to it because I havent seen it before and it isn't listed on their website.
Old 10/17/07, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Could you send me a link to it because I havent seen it before and it isn't listed on their website.
I dont think it's been released yet. Subzero05 has connections w/B&M, so I'm sure we'll hear something when it's available. Also, see...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=hurst+shifter
Old 10/17/07, 08:34 PM

Hi 302svt,

I saw it at SEMA 2005 and also have seen it on their website, I thought that it would have been released by now. I suppose it may have gone away or been delayed by a law suit from Steeda like the Pro 5.0 shifters had been over the blatent copying of Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter. The Hurst Billet Competition Plus Shifter is Hurst PN# 391 5201 they showed was pretty much a just another Tri-Ax copy. Go do a part number search on the Hurst website and check it out.

HTH!

Old 10/17/07, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PonyDNA
Hi 302svt,

I saw it at SEMA 2005 and also have seen it on their website, I thought that it would have been released by now. I suppose it may have gone away or been delayed by a law suit from Steeda like the Pro 5.0 shifters had been over the blatent copying of Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter. The Hurst Billet Competition Plus Shifter is Hurst PN# 391 5201 they showed was pretty much a just another Tri-Ax copy. Go do a part number search on the Hurst website and check it out.

HTH!

Those are expected out soon. But it doesnt look like the Steeda as much as the Pro 5.0 I have or the Roush shifter.
Old 10/18/07, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had the Tri-ax for over a year and have never been satisfied with the shifting pattern. Just added the K member brace w/torque limiters and I'll see if that lets me power shift.