2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shopping for cars on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/07, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shopping for cars on ebay

I was wondering if many of you had purchased cars on ebay before. How does this complicate the purchase process? Do they ship the car to you or to the nearest dealer where you do the paperwork? I guess you need to secure financing before bidding? I'm thinking of an '08 Shelby GT, and there are more online than available locally. Would it just be better to let the local dealer find the car for me and transport it themselves? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12/7/07, 08:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I bought a car through ebay but I was able to go look at it before hand. If you are buying a new from a dealership. I would think that would be a pretty safe bet. There are a few very good transport companies out there that would deliver your car. With that said I would not buy a car with out going and looking at it first hand. You can bid and win but then go and look, if you don't like what you see walk away. Some thing to think about would be paying taxes in the state you live in. Also you could caal the dealership or email them for more info on shipping.
Old 12/7/07, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at a car off ebay that was at a Ford dealer about 2 hours away from me. We drove out there and I'm glad I did. There were several little details that I just didn't like, yet the pictures and the description made the car look awesome. Compared to what I eventually bought, I would have been very disappointed if I bought that car.
Old 12/7/07, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as Ebay is concerned you are 100% obligated to purchase the car if you are the winning bidder. That means get financing and inspect the car before you ever place a bid. Pretty unrealistic I think if the car is 1500 miles away or whatever.. But its not like you go to court for breach of contract or anything, the seller will hassle you and Ebay could go as far as disabling your account...thats it. I bought a motorcycle off Ebay, but it was totally local. I wouldn't consider shipping a purchase like that, never mind that it'll hardly ever cost much less than $1000. Buy local or whatever is good for you as far as getting there to inspect/pick it up.
Old 12/7/07, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought the car I limited my search to a 200 mile radius I sent in a deposit and drove to see it.the dealer can cancel listing if sold locally but you must go see it within a day or two.