Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AT Shifter Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/08, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT Shifter Corrosion

I've noticed that the metal at the top center of my AT shifter is starting to look a bit worn and corroded. Anyone got any ideas on how to clean it? I'm thinking just some stainless steel cleaner.

Also, does anyone have any info on how to remove that two-piece enclosure? There's a screw on the front side, but I'm not sure what else could be holding it together. I'll have to take the center console off and hopefully expose enough of the shifter to see if it can be done. I'd hate to try and use metal cleaners on the shifter while it's still in the console.
Old 5/16/08, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed the same on my 05, but I think that silver part is plastic, not metal? (Correct me if I'm wrong....)
Old 5/16/08, 11:56 AM
GT Member

It is plastic......
Old 5/18/08, 12:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any ideas on how to restore it?
Old 5/18/08, 05:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
I've noticed that the metal at the top center of my AT shifter is starting to look a bit worn and corroded. Anyone got any ideas on how to clean it? I'm thinking just some stainless steel cleaner.

Also, does anyone have any info on how to remove that two-piece enclosure? There's a screw on the front side, but I'm not sure what else could be holding it together. I'll have to take the center console off and hopefully expose enough of the shifter to see if it can be done. I'd hate to try and use metal cleaners on the shifter while it's still in the console.

The IUP automatic shifter is satin chrome plated plastic. The entire shifter is all one piece. There are no halves to it. You remove the torx set screw on the back side and it will slip right off. I will warn you to be very careful pulling it off because you do not want to break or damage the thin white dual wires that run to the OD button. There is a small white connector that you disconnect.

When you reinstall it, be careful to route the wires properly on the right side of the shifter or they will end up cut in half like mine. Thats what happened to me after I installed my IUP shift boot and bezel. I did not have the wires positioned properly and the last little shove onto the shifter base cut them right in half. The shifter handle slides onto is a black square shaft that is the exact size of the inside of the handle.

One other word of warning. With the shift handle removed you can see the detent shaft on top of the black shifter shaft that comes in contact with the release button on the shift handle. Be careful to not let this detent rod turn or it can become dislodged from the bottom of the shifter shaft and it can be a pain in the butt to re-engage it to lock in place so that the shifter interlock functions properly.

Anyway, I would use a little mild car polish to smooth out the surface. If you have worked through the satin chrome plating then you will need to replace the handle or paint it a silver to match.

I attempted to remove the black barrels on the ends of the shifter T so I can repair the OD button wires and I cannot get them to come apart. I assume they are a one time snap in...

I drive with the OD button on all the time anyway, so I will eventually replace the handle. If anyone ever has a OD button that is inoperative, then just jump the wires to each other and it will activate the on-off function of the OD button.

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/18/08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 5/18/08, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow.......was that...no, it can't be....was that actual helpful information?

Yeah, so yesterday I took off the center console and poked at the shifter. I noticed (to my dismay) that the handle itself was just a big plastic slab. Ugh. I was really hoping the shifter was a cosmetic bit bolted onto a real metal shaft that I could mess around with. Oh well.

I noticed the little white wire with the (convenient) connector.

Seeing the nut on the back side of the shifter lever I figured that the silver part was some kind of case Ford put on the shifter to give it that silver look. Guess I was wrong.

So I can just loosen that bolt and the shifter handle will slide out?

What would be really helpful here is some excerpts/diagrams/explosions from the repair manuals.

As for the corrosion, it's gone through the silver and I can see a bronze-ish color underneath. I guess I'll have to wander down to the dealership and see if they have a replacement....and how many payments it'll take.
Old 5/18/08, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
Wow.......was that...no, it can't be....was that actual helpful information?

So I can just loosen that bolt and the shifter handle will slide out?

What would be really helpful here is some excerpts/diagrams/explosions from the repair manuals.

It's that simple. Remove the torx screw on the back of the shift handle then slide it off far enough to disconnect the OD switch connector. No need for complicated diagrams.
Old 10/28/12, 01:13 AM

Good morning,

Sorry to bring back dead topics but...

I am posting this for a friend who owns a 2006 pony package with an auto trans. The shifter cover is damaged on top and digs into her hand when she uses it. I was looking to replace the shifter for her and was wondering if a shifter from a 2010-2012 model mustang would work. Also, I came across just the handle for the shifter from a 2010 and wondered if it would work in place of the 06 handle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.