2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shelby info direct from the source?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/05, 03:11 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Nothing yet. Like I said I doubt I'll hear back from him. I'm sure he gets tons of email and snail mail everyday.
Old 2/28/05, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut@February 28, 2005, 4:14 PM
Nothing yet. Like I said I doubt I'll hear back from him. I'm sure he gets tons of email and snail mail everyday.

That guys has been on that station for at least 25 years. I remember listening to him as kid growing up in LA. He does a good show, I bet he writes you back.

Has anyone purchased an SVT product on the X-Plan? I am eligible, but remember seeing that the Cobra was exempt from the program last year (you could get the Mach 1 on plan during 04). I don't know much about the program. Does this change from time to time? Currently, I think only the F450 & F550s are not eligible. I would be interested in purchasing as SE Mustang or maybe a Cobra if I could get it at the plan price.

I agree with above, stop paying the "AMV", and the dealer will stop charging it. It will be interesting to see what the AMV will be in the new Corvette Z06. I'm guessing $20K to start....... :notnice:
Old 2/28/05, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, in the beginning the AMV will be there and people will pay it. I bet we'll see 5 - 10k on the Shelby (if it really exists). My dealer has already agreed to no AMV, but, he will want sticker. I've never paid sticker in my life. If we wait, the price will come down eventually, but, I've waited for for 3 years by the time the cars are available. I'm out of patience now, let alone a year from now.

I doubt Xplan will be available early on, maybe never on the SVT products. Hope for your sake I am wrong.
Old 3/1/05, 03:57 AM

Now the interesting part is I have been reading comments lately suppossedly from SVT employees saying SVT will definitely have a car of their own there on the 25th.

So, my gut is telling me we very well might see 2 cars there on the 25th. One from Caroll Shelby, and one from SVT. If true, I expect the SVT offering will be both a lower hp and a lower sticker than the Shelby which should put that one closer to what we are used to thinking of when we speak of a Mustang Cobra.
Old 3/1/05, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Putawaywet@March 1, 2005, 5:00 AM
Now the interesting part is I have been reading comments lately suppossedly from SVT employees saying SVT will definitely have a car of their own there on the 25th.

So, my gut is telling me we very well might see 2 cars there on the 25th. One from Caroll Shelby, and one from SVT. If true, I expect the SVT offering will be both a lower hp and a lower sticker than the Shelby which should put that one closer to what we are used to thinking of when we speak of a Mustang Cobra.
Why do so many of you guys seem to think that Cobra/SVT/Shelby are not all one and the same car? I'm not trying to start a board war, but it seems logical to me that Ford would use CS name to push up into the $40k dollar car range. Does anyone have any proof that they aren't or is this all just wishful thinking?
Old 3/1/05, 08:56 AM
Cobra R Member

i've just heard that there will be a mustang in the $60K range and also that the shelby stang will have the 550hp Ford GT motor, which makes me think the shelby will be a lot higher than $40k. That would leave a gap where the SVT could easily go.
Old 3/1/05, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Unfortunately, all of the speculation makes sense. It just a matter of which is right. Mine is wishful thinking that the car will be a 40k or so car and have the GT engine. If that car is to be 60k, then there is a major gap to fill. Ford will fill it with something about the level of the old Cobra whether it is called Shelby or not.

If the GT350 is a N/A car at 350hp, that will not satisfy the SVT faithful. That is more of a Mach 1 level car at about 30-35k.

If the GT500 is a 60k, S/C GT motor, then that will rule out most of the SVT crowd. It will sell to the wealthy people that have always wanted a Shelby or the wealthy that want a bad as all get out Mustang, Cobra R level car

This leaves a gap at 35-40k for a 450 hp car. Maybe nonShelby SVT, Terminator Cobra level car.

just MHO.
Old 3/1/05, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 1, 2005, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, all of the speculation makes sense. It just a matter of which is right. Mine is wishful thinking that the car will be a 40k or so car and have the GT engine. If that car is to be 60k, then there is a major gap to fill. Ford will fill it with something about the level of the old Cobra whether it is called Shelby or not.

If the GT350 is a N/A car at 350hp, that will not satisfy the SVT faithful. That is more of a Mach 1 level car at about 30-35k.

If the GT500 is a 60k, S/C GT motor, then that will rule out most of the SVT crowd. It will sell to the wealthy people that have always wanted a Shelby or the wealthy that want a bad as all get out Mustang, Cobra R level car

This leaves a gap at 35-40k for a 450 hp car. Maybe nonShelby SVT, Terminator Cobra level car.

just MHO.
It would be great if your wishful thinking became everyones' reality.
Old 3/1/05, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah it sure would. I have looked like this guy ever since that rumor came out. I am scouring the board every 30 minutes to see if a pic or any info has leaked. I would think a leak would be coming soon.
Old 3/1/05, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mee too. My take was that a street legal version of the cammer might show up as a Boss SE, but no one seems to agree with me on that. I say it because, the original Boss cars were racers.
I have half a mind to go visit my brother in NYC and see the cars for myself. Can you imagine some poor Ford exec (or worse a runway model) trying to answer all of the questions we would be firing at them? :shock:
If the Shelby is an add on package at $60k it is out of my range. I am hoping for something aroud $40k. From crazyhorse's guesstimates that may be the NA 5.4. Either way, I'm glad I bought an 05 GT because these cars aren't going to be available for a reasonable price for at least 3 years.
Old 3/1/05, 10:24 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Loch@February 28, 2005, 10:22 AM
What do you suppose the billionaire Carroll Shelby considers a reasonable price?
6.2 million probably
Old 3/1/05, 10:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by wsmatau@March 1, 2005, 12:17 PM
Mee too. My take was that a street legal version of the cammer might show up as a Boss SE, but no one seems to agree with me on that. I say it because, the original Boss cars were racers.
I have half a mind to go visit my brother in NYC and see the cars for myself. Can you imagine some poor Ford exec (or worse a runway model) trying to answer all of the questions we would be firing at them? :shock:
If the Shelby is an add on package at $60k it is out of my range. I am hoping for something aroud $40k. From crazyhorse's guesstimates that may be the NA 5.4. Either way, I'm glad I bought an 05 GT because these cars aren't going to be available for a reasonable price for at least 3 years.
Actually if it isn't the GT motor, I think it will still be S/C either less fancy 5.4 or 4.6 3 valve.

I think a BOSS may be down the road. Ford only has so room for so many SEs at a time. I think Shelby is now and BOSS is later. Hopefully next.

If you can go to NYC, you should. I am going on a golf trip in April and to Disney in June with my wife and kids. My travel budget is wiped out for now.
Old 3/2/05, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, Ford has said at different times that there would be a Shelby Mustang, which was pretty much a no-brainer as bringing Shelby back would have made little sense otherwise. Also, it would seem that SVT sources apparently keep insisting that SVT will have their own car as well. So, as Crazy Horse points out all of the speculation makes sense right now and it is driving me crazy.

However, one thing I have wondered about is where the name Cobra ends up in all this? The 68 GT350 and GT50 were the first Mustangs to ever claim the Cobra name. (little known as that may be) If Ford has a Shelby Mustang in the lineup that is not called a Cobra, but has an SVT version wear the Cobra name, that would just seem weird to me.

Of course, at this point I suppose anything could happen.
Old 3/2/05, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jsaylor@March 2, 2005, 10:53 AM
If Ford has a Shelby Mustang in the lineup that is not called a Cobra, but has an SVT version wear the Cobra name, that would just seem weird to me.
I think it's the most logical. v6, GT, SE (maybe 2), Shelby GT350, SVT Cobra, Shelby GT500. This is my wishful thinking. But, IF this is the way it goes, I don't see anything but satisfied "Oval" owners and a lot of GM'ers :scratch: and :bang:
Old 3/2/05, 09:11 AM
V6 Member

Maybe the SVT will be a Mustang Cobra with an optional Shelby package option. So then you still have your Cobra and you could opt to have it a Shelby Cobra. It’s a win win with the Cobra name in this situation. Maybe they are simply sending the SVT Cobra to Shelby and having him add his touches just like they do with the GT’s and Saleen and the bunch.
Old 3/2/05, 04:34 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
That would make too much sense.
Old 3/2/05, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Loch@March 2, 2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe the SVT will be a Mustang Cobra with an optional Shelby package option. So then you still have your Cobra and you could opt to have it a Shelby Cobra. It’s a win win with the Cobra name in this situation. Maybe they are simply sending the SVT Cobra to Shelby and having him add his touches just like they do with the GT’s and Saleen and the bunch.

thats what i am starting to think - we will have a SVT Cobra, and then SVT Cobra's will be sent to "Shelby" to be upfitted (tuner / small volume manufacture - what ever u want to call them) such as Saleen, Steeda, Rousg etc and the "SVT Cobra Shelby" will be able to be bought and financed thru (Ford) SVT dealers, just as Saleen's,Steeda's and Roush's are, this could work
Old 3/2/05, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Bingo! We have a winner!
Old 3/2/05, 08:29 PM
GT Member

That option would certainly make sense. Most Saleen's start life as a Mustang GT. Each year they do make a handful of Cobra Saleens for some people who have way too much money to spend. They are cool, but $35K for a Cobra plus another 12-15K for a body kit, a unique number, and some suspension tweaks?? I mean, they're cool cars, but I just can't justify that price.
Old 3/2/05, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by slavehand@March 2, 2005, 10:03 AM
I think it's the most logical. v6, GT, SE (maybe 2), Shelby GT350, SVT Cobra, Shelby GT500. This is my wishful thinking. But, IF this is the way it goes, I don't see anything but satisfied "Oval" owners and a lot of GM'ers :scratch: and :bang:

Wow! you are the eternal optomist aren't you

Quick Reply: Shelby info direct from the source?