2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shaker 1000 Folks ~ input please

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/07, 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shaker 1000 Folks ~ input please

Alright, i don't know how many of you read my threat on Successfully Upgrading from the Shaker 500 ~ to the ~ Shaker 1000. Well, the car i got the subs/amps out of had been wrecked and the passenger seat was literally in the drivers seat.
So in other words the shaker 1000 head unit wasn't avaiable.
I know for a fact, because during installation of the System, we had to sorter some wires in my shaker 500 and their was two components missing that had a little label that said S1000 or something similar that indicated the shaker 1000.

Well as hard as the dang head unit is to find I got one, and it's suppose to be here within the next few days and just got to wondering..
What is the difference? What features in the radio are different than on the shaker 500 head unit?
Anyone?
Old 2/22/07, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be completely wrong here but I'm pretty sure that the only difference in the two systems is the wattage.
Old 2/22/07, 09:22 AM

There is a menu item on my Shaker 1000 head unit (Shaker on/off) that alllows me to turn the trunk subs on and off at the head unit. I assume that the Shaker 1000 head unit then must have a separate output to the trunk sub amplifiers to allow this switching and the Shaker 500 head unit does not have this output (or it is not enabled).
Old 2/22/07, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kryten
There is a menu item on my Shaker 1000 head unit (Shaker on/off) that alllows me to turn the trunk subs on and off at the head unit. I assume that the Shaker 1000 head unit then must have a separate output to the trunk sub amplifiers to allow this switching and the Shaker 500 head unit does not have this output (or it is not enabled).
+1

The head units are essentially the same with the wiring and unit program to accomodate the additonal subs in the trunk. As i have been told by my ford ship, the SKR500 is having the add on feature for the SKR1000. There is also two additional cabin speakers in the system somewhere.

The Roush of mine has the SKR1000 and the Shelby has the SKR500 - i can go test each on the menus and let you know if you like.

I had inquired about my shop upgrading the Shelby with the SKR1000 and they said it would not be a big job, but the trunk sub units is not yet available for order. Should be by summer though.
Old 2/22/07, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Whether you have the Shaker 500 or 1000, the speakers are made in China (at least the rear package tray speakers are made of the best Chinese materials Ford can afford).
Old 2/22/07, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

Just to clarify a few things about the sound systems that come from the factory. They cost Ford about $75, tops. THose subs have very poor amplifiers. The rest is markup. Their biggest advantage is that they have been designed for the environment they are placed in, so that the Shaker1000 has been tested with respect to echo and reverb within a Mustang environment and you make the most out of an inexpensive set of hardware. Also, it's been designed to blend in to the dash and the controls are easy to use. But it isn't a 1000 rms system, Probably more like a 75 rms system.
An aftermarket system, any aftermarket system, is a giant leap in power and quality, assuming it's chosen and installed correctly. Selecting a good subwoofer set-up is an art. A standard Alpine or other head unit will run rings around the Shaker if it is atttached to four good speakers and a subwoofer, properly installed. If you spend $1200 on a system you can get amplifiers and more, and really rock.
The Shaker 1000 really costs $1200 plus the Shaker500 (GT Premium portion) upgrade price of $650. FOr that you can get a system that will reproduce God's own voice. The difference is clarity at volume rather then distortion.
Old 2/22/07, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Jamo
Just to clarify a few things about the sound systems that come from the factory. They cost Ford about $75, tops. THose subs have very poor amplifiers. The rest is markup. Their biggest advantage is that they have been designed for the environment they are placed in, so that the Shaker1000 has been tested with respect to echo and reverb within a Mustang environment and you make the most out of an inexpensive set of hardware. Also, it's been designed to blend in to the dash and the controls are easy to use. But it isn't a 1000 rms system, Probably more like a 75 rms system.
An aftermarket system, any aftermarket system, is a giant leap in power and quality, assuming it's chosen and installed correctly. Selecting a good subwoofer set-up is an art. A standard Alpine or other head unit will run rings around the Shaker if it is atttached to four good speakers and a subwoofer, properly installed. If you spend $1200 on a system you can get amplifiers and more, and really rock.
The Shaker 1000 really costs $1200 plus the Shaker500 (GT Premium portion) upgrade price of $650. FOr that you can get a system that will reproduce God's own voice. The difference is clarity at volume rather then distortion.
thank you for your opinion even though it was not related to the question I had asked. I am well aware of the systems I could of bought... shoot the company I work for could have easily sold me a indash dvd/mp3/cd player for a little over $400 considering were partners with Pioneer... but since your throwing information? wanna send some proof with it? at least provide resources b/c that is a bunchof text with no background. k?
Old 2/22/07, 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
thank you for your opinion even though it was not related to the question I had asked. I am well aware of the systems I could of bought... shoot the company I work for could have easily sold me a indash dvd/mp3/cd player for a little over $400 considering were partners with Pioneer... but since your throwing information? wanna send some proof with it? at least provide resources b/c that is a bunchof text with no background. k?

Most of what I said was just based on experience with installing my own car stereos and home stereos for a lot of years, investigating options and alternatives and my own general interest. Very little of what I said could be substantiated by test data or fact. IN short, it was mostly BS.

But I did think it was related to the general topic you had introduced. You've sub-titled the thread 'input please'. I apologize if I anything I said amounts to no more than just blowing wind. (It's a web forum, after all).
Old 2/24/07, 08:54 AM
GT Member

What i think is funny, as an owner of a 05 with a S1000 is what regardless of all this most people play MP3 CD's or connect an iPod! HELLO!!! Duh! You're listening to ripped music at 128-256 bit "maybe". BOTH the S500 and the S1000 are, in this case overkill. If you are a true audiophile and listening to the actual CD's then fine, but for the majority of us....you're just listening to junk louder, and in the case of the 1000 bad bass, even harder. Reminds me of the old days when guys used to buy these expensive head units but leave their old speakers! Knock..knock any one home?
Old 2/27/07, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTH395
What i think is funny, as an owner of a 05 with a S1000 is what regardless of all this most people play MP3 CD's or connect an iPod! HELLO!!! Duh! You're listening to ripped music at 128-256 bit "maybe". BOTH the S500 and the S1000 are, in this case overkill. If you are a true audiophile and listening to the actual CD's then fine, but for the majority of us....you're just listening to junk louder, and in the case of the 1000 bad bass, even harder. Reminds me of the old days when guys used to buy these expensive head units but leave their old speakers! Knock..knock any one home?
Reason i use the Original CDs in the stereo most of the time - quality is better and more clear sound. The MP3s are indeed only as good as they are ripped and the sound is then of that nature.

Albeit there are many Aftermarket auto sound systems that are better, for Factory, the Shaker is not bad. If there was no Shaker in my cars, i would indeed consider the Aftermarket ones. I have been a big fan of music for years and am used to hearing my home BOSE lifestyle system - so, it is easy for me to identlfy good sound and want to have something good in my car too.
Old 2/27/07, 08:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GTH395
+1

Itunes sells music that is compressed at 128 kB/s if I recall the magazine article correctly.
Old 2/27/07, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the S1000 and love it. I dont know wtf the differences between the 500 and 1000 are. I wanted mine from the factory so I went with the S1000. I dont want to have to go to this guy to fix this and another guy for that kind of BS. I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. It sounds fantastic. No skipping and it is plenty loud enough for me. And for the $75 worth of BS post I also say prove it. No offense and I know this is the web but if you dont have fact proving it only costs them $75 tops then dont post it.