2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Seat belt magnetic straps - worthless !

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/05, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like they said above....what magnet?

JK. I kow which magnet you are referring to but I have seat covers so I don't use it. I never used the guide on the top of the SN95's either. I just reach back & have no problems with that. Although my mom & everyone else who rides in the car hates it. But who really care? Especially since it's not their car & they are rarely ever in my car.

Although I will agree it's pretty annoying about rubbing your neck. Now that's a pain in the hind end.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 5/17/05, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Treadhead@May 16, 2005, 9:18 PM
Mine works fine. The only times it has ever come loose is when I let the seat all the way up or one of my kids hit it getting in the car.

I think that is exactly what Ford intended. Better that the magnet pop loose, than the seat belt trip the kid and cause him/her to do a header onto the pavement.
Old 12/20/05, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by CP94GT@May 16, 2005, 12:31 PM
To be honest it bothers me more that the seat back doesn't return to
it previous position after being raised to access the rear seat.

Also I don't have any problems reaching the belt, provided I look
for it in the right place.

I AGREE. THE SEATBELT MAGNETS DON'T HOLD VERY WELL, BUT WHAT REALLY UPSETS ME IS THAT THE SEAT DOES NOT RETURN TO THE PRESET POSITION AFTER YOU HAVE TILTED THE SEAT TO PUT SOMETHING IN THE BACK SEAT. FORD SHOULD HAVE HAD THE SET DESIGNED WITH A TYPE OF MEMORY (MECHANICAL) THAT WOULD ALLOW THE SEAT TO RETURN TO THE PREVIOUSLY ADJUSTED TILT POSITIION THAT YOU HAVE DETERMINED ALWAYS COMFORTABLE FOR DRIVING. MY FRIEND ALWAYS KIDS ME BECAUSE HIS 1996 MITS ECLIPSE HAS THIS FEATURE AND IT WORKS GREAT!
Old 12/21/05, 01:54 PM

Forget the magnet! We have back seats?
Old 12/21/05, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha, I think those are seats back there, or nice-looking shelves or something!!!
My magnets work great and what's this about seatbelts not being comfortable? I'm 6'4" and they feel pretty good to me. Maybe that's just me though. The seats not returning to position does get annoying though. You'd think that in the many years of R&D that they could have added this feature very simply. That's all I have to say about that! I need to go to sleep!
Old 12/25/05, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
My seatbelt magnets work just fine. They hold the belts OK and don't come unclipped unless I want them to. I can grab my belt easily without killing myself to reach WAYYY back there.

I do have a Vert though... I wonder if that makes a difference?

IMHO this is a MUCH better system than those crappy plastic rings in my 2002 SN95 - the belts were always worming their way out of them.

That being said... the seats in my SN95 would return to where I reclined them if I had to move them forward for any reason. THAT is a new annoyance that I can't understand.
Old 12/28/05, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

I never noticed the seatbelt on my neck in the Coupe and I'm 6 ft 2. That's definitely not a problem in the ragtop.
Old 1/6/06, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine work just fine. I have taken them off before just to make moving the seat up easier while vacuuming, but they stay on amazingly well. Great Idea Ford!
Old 1/6/06, 12:22 PM

Mine comes unhooked almost every time I release the seatbelt to get out of the car. Maybe -- as in other areas of our S197s -- some work better than others and some work not at all?? It seems we have a wide range of success vs failure on these. Maybe those of us with problematic straps should see about having them replaced under warranty?
Just a thought --
M-73
Old 1/6/06, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

2 words. They Suck!!!!
Old 1/7/06, 11:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel_Cline@May 16, 2005, 8:04 AM
IMO It's way better than the SN95's as far as looks and placemet.
I agree that the magnet could have been stronger, but i all honesty, I've had it pop off maybe three times in the 5 months i've had here.
not a big problem at all, verry effective, and pleasing design
agree 100%

Its a million times better then the ring. If you have a clumsy friend get in the back and yank on the belt the worse that happens is the magnet pops free. The old ring with a slot was a mess-3" in diameter and the belt always got hung in the friggin slot. :bang: I've never had it pop off from my use.
Old 1/8/06, 12:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by alankljuc@December 20, 2005, 8:47 PM
I AGREE. THE SEATBELT MAGNETS DON'T HOLD VERY WELL, BUT WHAT REALLY UPSETS ME IS THAT THE SEAT DOES NOT RETURN TO THE PRESET POSITION AFTER YOU HAVE TILTED THE SEAT TO PUT SOMETHING IN THE BACK SEAT. FORD SHOULD HAVE HAD THE SET DESIGNED WITH A TYPE OF MEMORY (MECHANICAL) THAT WOULD ALLOW THE SEAT TO RETURN TO THE PREVIOUSLY ADJUSTED TILT POSITIION THAT YOU HAVE DETERMINED ALWAYS COMFORTABLE FOR DRIVING. MY FRIEND ALWAYS KIDS ME BECAUSE HIS 1996 MITS ECLIPSE HAS THIS FEATURE AND IT WORKS GREAT!
I dont understand it either, the old mustang had the small lever(most american coupes did for decades) on the lower rear of the seat that allowed it to release for the passenger(some cars passenger side only, some both) and go right back into position.
Old 2/27/06, 10:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ January 8, 2006, 1:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I dont understand it either, the old mustang had the small lever(most american coupes did for decades) on the lower rear of the seat that allowed it to release for the passenger(some cars passenger side only, some both) and go right back into position.
[/b][/quote]

My '06 actually has a snap instead of the magnet used on the '05 and some '06 models. I don't use it - it's just a long reach back to grab the seat belt each time.
Old 2/28/06, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mach 73 @ January 6, 2006, 2:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mine comes unhooked almost every time I release the seatbelt to get out of the car.

Maybe those of us with problematic straps should see about having them replaced under warranty?
Just a thought --
M-73
[/b][/quote]

Hmmm, after 11 months, my seat belt has never come loose from the magnet when I get out of the car. Not once. Maybe you should take yours in and have the dealer look at it.
Old 2/28/06, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

There is a free seat belt extender available from Ford.

I got it but I find it adds too much hardware and weight and my magnet/snap works fine.
Old 2/28/06, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine works fine.
Old 3/2/06, 10:41 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IA PONY @ February 28, 2006, 12:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My '06 actually has a snap instead of the magnet used on the '05 and some '06 models. I don't use it - it's just a long reach back to grab the seat belt each time.
[/b][/quote]

Can you post a pic of this snap? I wonder if you could order the parts and replace the magnet system, becuase mine comes off pretty much every time I let go of the belt.
Old 3/2/06, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomicskiier01 @ March 2, 2006, 12:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can you post a pic of this snap? I wonder if you could order the parts and replace the magnet system, becuase mine comes off pretty much every time I let go of the belt.
[/b][/quote]

Hey Jason, if there isn't a picture posted by tomorrow, I'll go into my car (which is in the garage) and post a pic. Mine too has the snap on it. Plus the strap is more like nylon, compared to the earlier ones. It NEVER comes off anymore. I'm not sure you can replace the strap, since its connected to the side of the seat. This tells you that Ford knew there was an issue, and got on it and replaced the item. Glad they did, the old way, (in my dealer demo 1st build '06) the magnet never stayed. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Lol, I had no idea they were there until this thread. Never even noticed the strap. Started using them yesterday.

Driver Side = [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Passenger Side = [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have an early 2005 and I've never had a problem in 16 months and 12K miles. Snaps and magnet do the job just fine, even when I accidentally let the belt fly free when I take it off. The only time they unsnap is when I undo them to get at the back seat.

Quick Reply: Seat belt magnetic straps - worthless !