Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT LiveWire and X-Calibrator 3?

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/08, 01:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SCT LiveWire and X-Calibrator 3?

Does anyone here have a Livewire or X-Cal 3 for their Mustang? I am interested in knowing more about the datalogging features for these devices but I have been unable to find any information on SCT's website or on the Internet. Specifically, I want to know how much data they can hold and what values they can display/record? All I see on advertisements for the LW is the usual displays for HP, TQ, etc... and I really want to see if I can configure it to display whatever I need it to display:
RPM
Vehicle Speed
Gear #
Trans Fluid Temperature
Engine Oil Temperature
(arbitrary values).

And I would like to know if it can store 30 minutes of data (or more). I have a X-Cal 2 and remember when SCT was saying how you can datalog with it. It turns out it had a meager amount of memory (under 1MB?) which can hold a dismal amount of data.
Old 1/19/08, 08:56 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked the same question of a local tuner. He sold both and said the X cal 3 was the better buy.
Old 1/19/08, 10:46 AM
GTR Member

I asked different vendors and so far no one could answer my questions! It seems many buyers are just getting the X-Cal 3/Livewire to flash their PCM and not bothering with the datalogging features.
Old 1/19/08, 10:54 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I asked different vendors and so far no one could answer my questions! It seems many buyers are just getting the X-Cal 3/Livewire to flash their PCM and not bothering with the datalogging features.
Hey there,

The datalogging feature would mostly be used at dyno time for tuning purposes. Personally, I dont think the average person will get much use use the data logging facilities in either of the tuners. The Livewire has the approximate TQ, HP, 1/4 mile and 0-60 features on a display in the car. The x-Cal (or the SF) dont have those types of features - which is why there is about $200 difference in price.

Page
Old 1/19/08, 05:39 PM
GTR Member

The X-Cal 2 only has 90 seconds of datalogging storage for up to 15 DMR's/PIDs. I was interested in knowing the capabilities of the X-Cal 3 and Livewire with datalogging DMR's and PIDs. I have no use for the "G-Tech" function of the Livewire but want to know if I can display the DMR/PIDs on the LiveWire (instead of 1/4 ET, Boost, TQ, etc...) in real-time and if both the X-Cal 3 and LiveWire can store data (if so, how much/how long can it store)?

LiveLink does seem to be catered towards datalogging DMRs used for tuning purposes, but it also contains useful PIDs/DMRs for stuff like RPM, vehicle speed, ECT, IAT, fuel temp, miles driven, etc... that I could use to monitor various aspects of the car on a 30-60 minute trip but I need to have a laptop hooked up to record for long durations.