2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up one side to rotate the tires...

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/08, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacking up one side to rotate the tires...

I want to put the car on jack stands on one side at a time to rotate the tires (swap front and back on each side). Where would you suggest I put the jack, and where should I put the stands? I'm just concerned about the car leaning on the jack stands and not being stable.
Old 1/16/08, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Well you only need it jacked high enough to get the wheels off. If you look on the stock jack instructions there are notches on the frame near the front and rear wheel wells which is where they suggest.
Old 1/16/08, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

So where would I put the jack stands? Could I still use the k-member in front and the axle tube in back?
Old 1/16/08, 09:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt use anything suspension related if you can.. but i know that doesnt leave you with much
Old 1/16/08, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

What kinda of jack you using? I would put the jack beside teh notches in the frame and the stands using the notches.
Old 1/17/08, 02:19 AM
Cobra Member

or just go to les schwabs and have them do it for free.
Old 1/17/08, 05:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

no les schwab in nc.
Old 1/17/08, 06:40 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although they say you shouldn't do this, I just put the floor jack under the rear diff to lift up the back. Then place a jack stands where the factory jack points are for the rear. Then lower the jack, place it under the front cross member to lift the front and place a set of jack stands at the front jack points. That way I can take off all four wheels at once. I've done this to all my "rear-wheel drive" cars for the past 20 years and have never had an issue. Knowing my luck I just jinxed myself and will damage my car in the spring
Old 1/17/08, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Although they say you shouldn't do this, I just put the floor jack under the rear diff to lift up the back. Then place a jack stands where the factory jack points are for the rear. Then lower the jack, place it under the front cross member to lift the front and place a set of jack stands at the front jack points. That way I can take off all four wheels at once.
Right now I only have two jack stands. I think I'll just spring for two more and do it your way. Thanks.
Old 1/17/08, 08:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate when I go back and read something I wrote, just to find out how many gramatical errors I made. Oh well Just make sure you place the jack stands in the proper locations and only do this if your vehicle is being raised up on a flat, level, surface. If you driveway is even on a slight incline I wouldn't suggest doing it this way.
Old 1/17/08, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rash
no les schwab in nc.
I go to National Tire & Battery (NTB). Free!

That said, here are the lift points for the S197... looks like there's probably not one single jack location that will lift one whole side at once.

Old 1/18/08, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

If you raise it at the notched locations on the side high enough, the other end will also come off the ground...

Oh, this should go without saying but make sure you loosen the lugs on all 4 wheels before lifting the car all the way off the ground. Otherwise you need to enlist someone to sit in the car with their foot on the brakes so you can loosen the lugs. Not that I've ever done that .. .
Old 1/18/08, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
I go to National Tire & Battery (NTB). Free!

That said, here are the lift points for the S197... looks like there's probably not one single jack location that will lift one whole side at once.

Hmm... I think I must be confused because that does not look to be an accurate image of the underside of either a S197 GT or V6. That picture shows the muffler in front of the rear axle.
Old 1/18/08, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting, I may have to rotate my tires as well.
Old 1/18/08, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I am reckless but I don't bother with jack stands. I get my floor jack, use the frame rail on the side, crank the side of the car up in the air just high enough to clear the tires, and impact the lug nuts off and swap out the wheels.

Since I'm not getting under the car I'm not too worried about the car falling on me and it really isn't in the air long enough for me to worry about the car coming crashing down.

<shrug>

The upshot is my tire rotations are done in a matter of minutes without all of that jackstand drama. (of course, if I am getting UNDER the car you better believe there is jackstand drama!!! )
Old 1/18/08, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
Hmm... I think I must be confused because that does not look to be an accurate image of the underside of either a S197 GT or V6. That picture shows the muffler in front of the rear axle.
Yea I wouldn't use anywhere shown on that diagram. The stock jack has instructions that show the notches in the frame where they suggest.
Old 1/19/08, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
Yea I wouldn't use anywhere shown on that diagram. The stock jack has instructions that show the notches in the frame where they suggest.
Yes, and the diagram also shows the gas tank strapped to the car behnd the axle. Looks more like a diagram for a Fox Mustang.
Old 1/19/08, 10:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Since I'm not getting under the car I'm not too worried about the car falling on me and it really isn't in the air long enough for me to worry about the car coming crashing down.
The upshot is my tire rotations are done in a matter of minutes without all of that jackstand drama. (of course, if I am getting UNDER the car you better believe there is jackstand drama!!! )
I don't use jackstands for tire rotation either.
I will not be under the car and I have a level garage.
I use 2 jacks per side for extra stability.
(Why not I have about 6 jacks.)
Old 1/19/08, 10:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by steevr
Yes, and the diagram also shows the gas tank strapped to the car behnd the axle. Looks more like a diagram for a Fox Mustang.
It is an older Stang, but it is what is in the new books...go figure.
They are lift points for a rack, not specifically jack points though.
Old 1/19/08, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to thread hijack but this brings up a good question.
I am switching from the 17" bullitts to the polished 18s, and plan to just swap them out myself. Is this a good idea or will I need to take the car in for aligning or balancing or something? I figure since they have the same diameter and width, it shouldnt be a problem, but would rather hear from yous guyseses.

Quick Reply: Jacking up one side to rotate the tires...