2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rust problems?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/05, 02:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by bryman@January 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
This kind of thing is a perfect example of why I am reluctant to buy a Mustang. Cost cutting is one thing, but visible rust on a brand new car's pulleys is inexcusable. My wife's new fully loaded Accord EX V6 coupe which costs about the same as the GT I would want has no signs of any cheapness or quality problems at all, so there's no excuse. In fact, it is as good as any car I have seen that costs 10k more. I am willing to give up a few of the nice things her car has like heated seats, XM radio with controls on the steering wheel, outside temp gauge, moonroof, for a good looking V8 RWD muscle car, but not if it is built like a piece of crap. I saw a new V6 mustang on the road today with it's right rear brake line hanging with the bracket broken off. It probably rusted out and fell off too.
I guarantee you that if you went down to a Honda dealership and looked under the hood of any Accord that had been sitting on the lot for a while, you'd see surface rust on the unpainted surfaces like the pulleys. This whole idea of trying to slam Ford for surface rust on an upainted, underhood pulley is ludicrous. on you!
Old 1/11/05, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92+January 11, 2005, 3:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ January 11, 2005, 3:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bryman@January 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
This kind of thing is a perfect example of why I am reluctant to buy a Mustang. Cost cutting is one thing, but visible rust on a brand new car's pulleys is inexcusable. My wife's new fully loaded Accord EX V6 coupe which costs about the same as the GT I would want has no signs of any cheapness or quality problems at all, so there's no excuse. In fact, it is as good as any car I have seen that costs 10k more. I am willing to give up a few of the nice things her car has like heated seats, XM radio with controls on the steering wheel, outside temp gauge, moonroof, for a good looking V8 RWD muscle car, but not if it is built like a piece of crap. I saw a new V6 mustang on the road today with it's right rear brake line hanging with the bracket broken off. It probably rusted out and fell off too.
I guarantee you that if you went down to a Honda dealership and looked under the hood of any Accord that had been sitting on the lot for a while, you'd see surface rust on the unpainted surfaces like the pulleys. This whole idea of trying to slam Ford for surface rust on an upainted, underhood pulley is ludicrous. on you! [/b][/quote]
I am not just faulting Ford for this one issue. The V6 mustang I drove a while ago had issues as well, such as the bad drivetrain vibration/hum when crusing around 50 and horrible orange peel (visible at night). The V6 I saw yesterday with the rear brake line almost dragging on the ground was another disturbing thing I noticed. Don't get me wrong, I want a Mustang, but I am not sure I can ignore quality issues when I am used to better quality for less money. The question will be whether my lust for a great looking RWD V8 will override my common sense.

And as for your guarantee on finding surface rust on a new honda motor, I suggest you try it. If you opened the hood, you'll find that about 95% of the bolts are brass alloy (never rust), and yes, all the pulleys are painted. Try to find that on an American car.
Old 1/11/05, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by bryman+January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bryman @ January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@January 11, 2005, 3:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bryman
@January 10, 2005, 10:50 PM

I guarantee you that if you went down to a Honda dealership and looked under the hood of any Accord that had been sitting on the lot for a while, you'd see surface rust on the unpainted surfaces like the pulleys. This whole idea of trying to slam Ford for surface rust on an upainted, underhood pulley is ludicrous. on you!
I am not just faulting Ford for this one issue. The V6 mustang I drove a while ago had issues as well, such as the bad drivetrain vibration/hum when crusing around 50 and horrible orange peel (visible at night). The V6 I saw yesterday with the rear brake line almost dragging on the ground was another disturbing thing I noticed. Don't get me wrong, I want a Mustang, but I am not sure I can ignore quality issues when I am used to better quality for less money. The question will be whether my lust for a great looking RWD V8 will override my common sense.

And as for your guarantee on finding surface rust on a new honda motor, I suggest you try it. If you opened the hood, you'll find that about 95% of the bolts are brass alloy (never rust), and yes, all the pulleys are painted. Try to find that on an American car. [/b][/quote]
I don't need to try scooter. As I stated in a previous post, I owned an Acura for several years and I crawled under it many, many times to change the oil and there was plenty of surface rust. I also had to deal with leaking cam seals, a stuttering ABS motor, and a rattling rear hatch. Don't get me wrong, I liked my Acura. But Hondas and Acuras aren't end-all-be-all of automotive quality you make them out to be.

EDIT: Almost forgot....the power antenna had to be replaced twice under warranty.
Old 1/11/05, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+January 11, 2005, 8:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ January 11, 2005, 8:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bryman@January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bryman

And as for your guarantee on finding surface rust on a new honda motor, I suggest you try it. If you opened the hood, you'll find that about 95% of the bolts are brass alloy (never rust), and yes, all the pulleys are painted. Try to find that on an American car.
I don't need to try scooter. As I stated in a previous post, I owned an Acura for several years and I crawled under it many, many times to change the oil and there was plenty of surface rust. I also had to deal with leaking cam seals, a stuttering ABS motor, and a rattling rear hatch. Don't get me wrong, I liked my Acura. But Hondas and Acuras aren't end-all-be-all of automotive quality you make them out to be.

EDIT: Almost forgot....the power antenna had to be replaced twice under warranty. [/b][/quote]
Well, there are no more power antennas on any hondas/acuras to worry about anymore, they are all integrated into the back windows. Would be nice if Ford were to do the same but they still choose to save a buck. It sounds like you owned an older Integra. As with most manufacturers, quality has improved since then. My family has owned 6 hondas/acuras in the last 10 years, and there's a reason we keep buying them. I didn't say that Hondas were "end-all-be-all of automotive quality," I just said they are the best quality for the money and then some. And this is not just because they are made overseas. In fact, the Accords are made in the US.
Old 1/11/05, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

:scratch: :crazy:
Old 1/11/05, 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by bryman+January 11, 2005, 10:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bryman @ January 11, 2005, 10:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@January 11, 2005, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by bryman@January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bryman

EDIT: Almost forgot....the power antenna had to be replaced twice under warranty.
Well, there are no more power antennas on any hondas/acuras to worry about anymore, they are all integrated into the back windows. Would be nice if Ford were to do the same but they still choose to save a buck. It sounds like you owned an older Integra. As with most manufacturers, quality has improved since then. My family has owned 6 hondas/acuras in the last 10 years, and there's a reason we keep buying them. I didn't say that Hondas were "end-all-be-all of automotive quality," I just said they are the best quality for the money and then some. And this is not just because they are made overseas. In fact, the Accords are made in the US. [/b][/quote]
It was a 2000 model Integra. Not that old really.
Old 1/12/05, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bryman+January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bryman @ January 11, 2005, 6:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-bryman

And as for your guarantee on finding surface rust on a new honda motor, I suggest you try it. If you opened the hood, you'll find that about 95% of the bolts are brass alloy (never rust), and yes, all the pulleys are painted. Try to find that on an American car. [/b][/quote]
Um...who cares? :scratch:

I'd rather not pay for extra rust-inhibiting finishes on parts where it does not matter. If you want to add all that stuff to your car so your engine bay looks like a $2 *****, then go for it...but I don't want to pay for it, and most others don't either.

My 2001 GT never had any rust under the hood, except on the crank pulley, exhaust manifolds, and the iron block. This is normal and not an issue to me.

If you want to tart up your engine bay so it looks pretty, be my guest...but don't add that extra cost to MY car please.

:notnice:
Old 1/12/05, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bryman@January 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
Bryman, if I were you, I'd get a Honda or Toyota instead of a Mustang. I think you'd be happier with it in the long run.

I switched to a Toyota Celica once after years of owning such cars as a 65 Corvette, 71 Olds 4-4-2, and a 74 Z28, because I heard so many people telling me about Japanese quality. And I have to admit, in the 6 months I owned the Celica, I did not have one iota of a problem with it. Except that it bored me to death. So I replaced it by ordering a new Z28, replaced that 4 years later with another new Z28, then years later went on to own a couple of Mustang GTs. I have an '05 GT on order now, warts and all.

The Mustang is full of compromises - we all know that. Unfortunately, there's no way to get the absolute highest build quality and get the Mustang's performance and personna at the same time, unless you want to spend thousands more. That's why Mustang easily won this year's Motor Trend "Bang for the Buck" award (Jan '05 issue), over Japanese imports no less...
Old 1/12/05, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

The bottom line is that by virtue of being mechanical, all cars, domestic or import are going to have failures. Ford has made strides redesigning their engines to a design that's just more sound. It's the same principle that has given the imports the edge over the decades.... the tollerances and clearances are much tighter, and there's no more push rod valve train. If you've been inside a windsor block, you can see the side play and slop in the con-rods sitting in the crank journals. Those tollernaces are far too loose and they're what allows an engine to beat itself to death in failry short order. I'm sure that 300K miles on these mod motors isn't going to be uncommon. That's also why they require thinner oil.... if you remember how we all used to put 10-40 in the Ford motors so the oil wouldn't blow by the rings and burn as fast.... well, do that now, and you'll tear your top side up faster than you can say, "oh, crap.... maybe I shouldn't have done that."
As far as the stupid little trivial things like a plastic clip that holds the brake line to the axle houseing (which I'm guessing was an axle vent tube, and not the brake line), all manufacturers have problems like that. If you want a Mustang that drives like a BMW M5, then you pay for it.... as for me? I'm happy with what Ford gives me for $25K.

And by the way.... I'll take grade 8 steel hardware over brass alloy any day.... I'd rather my parts stay attatched than look pretty.