2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Roush Supercharge potential

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/07, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Supercharge potential

I recently added a zex 100 shot and im not all that impressed, plus every time i use it im scared im gonna screw something up.

SO im thinking of pulling everything off and going with a Roush supercharger to take advantage of the warranty. But im curious as to after the warranty, how much potential to upgrade power does the roush have?
Old 2/17/07, 08:01 PM

the RoushCharger is GREAT. I have no problems whatsoever with mine. In fact Roush is fixing to put out a package deal that upgrades the airbox to cold air style and also another pulley.
One thing I have been keeping my eye on is that they will be doing a pulley and tune deal which they are aiming for 450 flywheel HP
I have had mine for some time now and love the extra power it gives me.
I am in the works of trying to swap my gears to 373s and I just recently called Roush and they said they can retune my ecm for 50.00 to correct my shift points etc.

Now its just getting things to comply with my Ford Dealership
Old 2/17/07, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
screw the warranty and get a turbo you will never look back
Old 2/17/07, 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

KC had his tuned to 427 hp and I have heard that you can change the pulley to get around 475hp but, I am yet to see it, just heard about it
Old 2/17/07, 10:44 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangshadow
Roush is fixing to put out a package deal that upgrades the airbox to cold air style and also another pulley.
One thing I have been keeping my eye on is that they will be doing a pulley and tune deal which they are aiming for 450 flywheel HP
Interesting. Do you know when they are going to make this public?
Old 2/17/07, 11:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I think this kit will have around 450 trq as well since a lot of people go saleen or whipple instead of roush to get the trq gains as well as the hp current roush chargers lack
Old 2/18/07, 06:47 AM

Guys,

I hate to be down on this as I have an 06 Roush Sport Vert, but the only plus for the Roushcharger is the warranty. This warranty is only good if a certified mechaninc installs it. I am under the impression that this is like a "third party" warranty.(look into it).

I spoke to someone at Roush and was told that you "MIGHT" get 400rwhp with the new pulley and tune and that the warranty would probably not be valid. I really wanted to keep my car all Roush, but could not see spending $5600 for that kind of power, when I could get either a Whipple or KenneBell for almost the same price. Both of these kits start out at what the Roushcharger maxes out at.

You gotta do whats right for you, but my KenneBell kit will be here on Tuesday!!!!!

Paul
Old 2/18/07, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The roush is not going to be as efficient since it is a "roots" style blower. It is not as efficient when compared to the Saleen, Whipple, FRPP, or Magnacharger superchargers since they are all twin screw designs. Twin screw designs can move more air and do it in a manner that does not build as much heat as the "roots" lobes. The Roush charger hammers the air in and that builds up heat which drains power. Get "screwed" they are safe as long as you don't go crazy with the boost. I have the 435hp job now and am going to get the 475hp upgrade with Saleen. Many people are putting down almost 500hp to the wheels with no problems yet.
Old 2/18/07, 10:48 AM

The biggest thing leaning me towards the ROush is the warranty. Ive got like a year and 9 months left on the warranty. I would love to be around 400whp and be under warranty then after the warranty is up be able to up it to 500+ with supporting mods ofcourse. IT looks like the roush isnt gonna get me there, so the only thing it has going for it is the warranty.
Old 2/19/07, 07:00 AM

Exactly,

And the warranty requires paying for installation, plus you need to look into just how the warranty works.

Paul
Old 2/19/07, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry about the warranty. As long as you use a reasonable amount of boost and a reliable tune you will be fine. The way I look at it is you should worry about the blower more than the engine. 3V long blocks are going for about 2,500 on ebay right now and Saleen Superchargers are going for about 5,000 so we should all be more worried about our engines blowing up our superhargers up.
Old 2/19/07, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question, what are you looking to do, meaning what do you need all the HP for? Daily driving fun, road course, drag strip?

The Roush is an excellent piece for what it is designed for, bolt on to a stock motor, shut the hood, step on the gas and go without having to worry about your engine is not going to race you down the street after jumping out of the car. If it does, go get another one put in under warranty, that simple. Never had mine on the dyno but advertised I should have around 415 at the flywheel which I gather is something like 340-350 RWHP

The warranty is simple and is transparent to you. You bring your car to the dealer they diagnose it. If it is deemed the issue is caused by the charger, instead of the bill going to Ford, it goes to Roush, you don't even see it. Of note though, some Mustang owners got the extended warranty deal that was offered at the end of 06, Roush does not cover that, it is only 3/36000 miles.

As far as getting more power out of it? I have heard the rumors of Roush coming our with some other stuff to increase the power however I do know Steeda has been doing a CAI/Tune of some Roushcharged cars and getting them to the 385-390 RHP mark but of course that busts the warranty. I also assume some exstensive work could be done to the inside of the blower to get more out of it.

IMO it all depends on what you are looking for. The Roush is plenty for me for what I do. I did not pick it over other SC's as it was on my car from the dealer. When my car is no longer my daily driver and I decide to start running it at the track then perhaps I will replace it with something else but for what "I" do with my Stang currently, it's perfect.

With less then 2 years warranty on your car I would only go with the Roush if you want to hold the remainder of your warrantly and not worry about the overall life of your engine otherwise wait until your warranty is up. Look on Roush's site for a local Roush dealer and go test drive one to evaluate the power.

P.S. Derek, I am pretty sure the Magnacharger is a Roots blower.
Old 2/19/07, 08:56 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by POWERS
The biggest thing leaning me towards the ROush is the warranty. Ive got like a year and 9 months left on the warranty. I would love to be around 400whp and be under warranty then after the warranty is up be able to up it to 500+ with supporting mods ofcourse. IT looks like the roush isnt gonna get me there, so the only thing it has going for it is the warranty.
If you're patient enough, keep saving up until the warranty expires and then you can go as crazy as you want or can afford. Could end up costing less in the long run as well.
Old 2/19/07, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Question, what are you looking to do, meaning what do you need all the HP for? Daily driving fun, road course, drag strip?

The Roush is an excellent piece for what it is designed for, bolt on to a stock motor, shut the hood, step on the gas and go without having to worry about your engine is not going to race you down the street after jumping out of the car. If it does, go get another one put in under warranty, that simple. Never had mine on the dyno but advertised I should have around 415 at the flywheel which I gather is something like 340-350 RWHP

The warranty is simple and is transparent to you. You bring your car to the dealer they diagnose it. If it is deemed the issue is caused by the charger, instead of the bill going to Ford, it goes to Roush, you don't even see it. Of note though, some Mustang owners got the extended warranty deal that was offered at the end of 06, Roush does not cover that, it is only 3/36000 miles.

As far as getting more power out of it? I have heard the rumors of Roush coming our with some other stuff to increase the power however I do know Steeda has been doing a CAI/Tune of some Roushcharged cars and getting them to the 385-390 RHP mark but of course that busts the warranty. I also assume some exstensive work could be done to the inside of the blower to get more out of it.

IMO it all depends on what you are looking for. The Roush is plenty for me for what I do. I did not pick it over other SC's as it was on my car from the dealer. When my car is no longer my daily driver and I decide to start running it at the track then perhaps I will replace it with something else but for what "I" do with my Stang currently, it's perfect.

With less then 2 years warranty on your car I would only go with the Roush if you want to hold the remainder of your warrantly and not worry about the overall life of your engine otherwise wait until your warranty is up. Look on Roush's site for a local Roush dealer and go test drive one to evaluate the power.

RoushChargers on a stock 4.6 3V is getting on average 360-370 at the wheels. The Autos we install at our shop are getting about 10 more.

For daily fun, if you like the security of a Warrenty with a newer car, and not intending to run the car in drag racing applications, the Roush is a good choice IMO. If i were to s/c my Roush, i would for daily fun with some extra go above stock. Plus, by the time you get tired of that, Roush may have upgrades to it available. In comparing the Stage 3s i have driven to the GT500, i like the Stg 3 better as the S/C is very responsive;- even on the low end. The GT500, you need to lay into it pretty good to get the boost.

Alternativey, as commented earlier here, if i were to run drag strip power applications, i would go straight to a built engine w/ a Whipple / KB installed as a complete package. At that point, i would not be concerned about DD the car or having a Warrenty.
Old 2/19/07, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangette
RoushChargers on a stock 4.6 3V is getting on average 360-370 at the wheels. The Autos we install at our shop are getting about 10 more.

For daily fun, if you like the security of a Warrenty with a newer car, and not intending to run the car in drag racing applications, the Roush is a good choice IMO. If i were to s/c my Roush, i would for daily fun with some extra go above stock. Plus, by the time you get tired of that, Roush may have upgrades to it available. In comparing the Stage 3s i have driven to the GT500, i like the Stg 3 better as the S/C is very responsive;- even on the low end. The GT500, you need to lay into it pretty good to get the boost.

Alternativey, as commented earlier here, if i were to run drag strip power applications, i would go straight to a built engine w/ a Whipple / KB installed as a complete package. At that point, i would not be concerned about DD the car or having a Warrenty.

Good info on the RWHP, didn't think was up that high. One of these days I will schedule a pull and see what mine is at.
Old 2/19/07, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor

I have to go with the consensus, here. The top horsepower producing setups that will bolt-on without causing issues will be Kenne Bell, Saleen, Magnacharger, and Whipples. They are very nice setups for the street and for the track if you go with the intercooled.

You can produce very respectable numbers, and still maintain driveability. They make boost very quickly, and there is little to no lag. You have the ability to run a premium octane street fuel just like with the centrifugal design, and it looks just as neat too!

If you need any help at all, feel free to give us a shout. We have a few different packages available for your vehicle, and can get the chargers is black as well as polished on most of the brands listed.

There are some differences between the brands, but most are Eaton manufactured, and there is a ton of aftermarket support for pulleys, etc.

Good luck!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 2/19/07, 01:43 PM

I agree 100%
I talked with Roush myself today about swaping gears in my stang and they even have a tune out for the gear swap.All I have to do is have my Ford dealership ship my ecm to Roush for the new tune.
I also asked them about the pulley kit they have coming out.
they are pushing for 450-460 flywheel HP. As for warrenty thats still up in the air for they pulley kit.
They have a Black Jack additon which is 430 Hp and to my understanding these increases are from tunes and exhaust.
ROUSH:
0. Sport 300hp
1. Stg1 300hp
2. Stg2 300hp
3. Stg3 415hp
4. 427R 427hp
5. California Roadster 415hp
6. Dragpack 430hp
7. BlackJack 430hp

Again its all a preference Warrenty/No Warrenty
I have never had a problem with Roush. When I call with questions they answer them right away or even call me back.
Old 2/20/07, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good info on the RWHP, didn't think was up that high. One of these days I will schedule a pull and see what mine is at.
The lowest hp RoushCharger install w/ Dyno Numbers we have done was at 356 at the wheels.

Mustangshadow has all the #s listed in the preceeding post.

The BlackJack Edition as well as the 427R achieves the HP increase over the Stage 3 Rating by a Dealer Installed Offroad Axleback Exhaust System and an associated Roush Tune.

This same axleback can be purchased on the Roush Website and adds only a few horses w/o Roush Tune, but be warned, it makes the 4.6L 3V Loud with an o/r x-pipe.