2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Road Course Hot Lapping My 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/06, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SonicStanGirl @ April 20, 2006, 5:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Funny you mention road racing and brakes. A friend of mine races SCCA and he and his brother recently rented two V6 stangs from Hertz and took them out for a track day. He reported that both stangs completely melted the brakes. One completely melted the pad to nothing (even the backing) down to the rotor and the other had no pad left just metal to the rotor. He is a chevy guy and was complaining how crappy the car was.... now I assumed that maybe the V6's had less in the brake area than a GT...but it seems like all in all our GTs need upgrades in the brake area for road racing/auto crossing.

Probably an area Ford saved money on....by giving us brakes adequate for regular driving and not for stopping repeatedly in a race or chase situation. IMO
[/b][/quote]

Why not go out and rent a GM perfomance car and take it to the track? Oh wait, they don't have one besides the Corvette, and where are you going to rent that? Maybe you could rent a Limpala SS and see how those brakes work after a day at the track. Would probably be best to bring a flatbed that day.
Old 4/21/06, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who mentioned lowering their vehicles with the FRPP kit, how would you compare the handling with say a Roush or Saleen?
Old 4/21/06, 03:50 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(97svtgoin05gt @ April 21, 2006, 2:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Why not go out and rent a GM perfomance car and take it to the track? Oh wait, they don't have one besides the Corvette, and where are you going to rent that? Maybe you could rent a Limpala SS and see how those brakes work after a day at the track. Would probably be best to bring a flatbed that day.
[/b][/quote]

My sentiments exactly! That friend of mine just loves to rile me up about my Mustangs! And....the class he runs in "American Sedan" is dominated by Mustangs! Hee hee hee
Old 4/21/06, 07:26 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SonicStanGirl @ April 20, 2006, 5:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
now I assumed that maybe the V6's had less in the brake area than a GT...but it seems like all in all our GTs need upgrades in the brake area for road racing/auto crossing.
[/b][/quote]

Your assumption is correct, the GTs do have larger front rotors than the V6s.
The rear rotors are the same.
Ford generally uses soft brake pads as that gives the brake feel most customers want (non performance oriented).

Ford needs to come out with upgraded brakes like the Bullitt & Mach 1 had (13") vs, the 12.44" the 05-06 GTs have.

Thanks for the report Hubec, nice to have a track report other than drag.
Old 4/21/06, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice report--those of us who aren't into the drag scene (that didn't sound right... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] ) appreciate this kind of feedback. Before I take my first excursion to Summit Point, I've decided I need gauges (oil pressure, oil temp, water temp) and some brake upgrades. I think the gauges will help decide if further cooling system upgrades (radiator, oil cooler?) or oil delivery upgrades (larger pan or accusump?) are needed.

Our stock calipers and rotors should be just fine (12.6" diameter up front). Stainless lines are a definite--for safety and pedal feel--as are pads, fluid and ducts. When you take off your splash guards/backing plates, save them, as you can use them as a base to make your own ducts. Have you thought about a dedicated set of track pads and rotors?

Funny, I used to have a WRX, too. I agree that the stock handling of the GT is actually very good--better than my WRX. That said, I am now running Eibach ProKit springs and Tokico D-Specs with the stock wheels/tires (along with a few other suspension goodies) and the handling is vastly better than stock. You don't need sticky tires to appreciate the upgrades.

Keep us updated! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same concern as you guys ... the stock brakes sucks ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Although Ford has increased the disk size in front and put ventilated disks in the rear, I did not see any difference in braking power nor fading resistance compared to my '97GT & '00GT. I have always put HP+ in the front and used Valvoline braking fluid. I do mostly autocross but I have done some lapping & road course courses before.

I had a lapping day last week in the rain at Sanair. Even with my stock tires and the rain I managed to overheat my front brakes (after only my second 20 min run [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] )

I will be taking a 3 day course at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant this July. There is no way my brakes will last the weekend especially with R-Compound rubber 275/40/17 large !

Josh, I do not think HPS nor HP+ will do the trick for road course lapping. I'm considering using some pads developped by a Canadian company [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img] called Satified Motorsports (I know, the name sucks !). I've heard great reviews from them and their GranSport pads are better then Hawk's.

Their site: Satisfied Motorsports

I will probably be putting GS3 in the front & GS5 in the rear. I will probably put some Motul 600 also to be on the safe side.

Here is a post from a guy who owns a '03 Cobra who tried them at Mosport:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I installed a set of GS3's on the front and GS5's on the back just before the Mosport weekend.
Drove to and from the track, two King Of The Hill's with 5 laps each and both the Dunneville events this weekend.
On Dunnville I was into the ABS at least once a lap on Saturday and more on Sunday for I had no braking markers on the side
Other than small heat cracks, the rotors on the front was in perfect shape. I did not actually measure the pad thickness but I would quess there is at least 2/3 or more life left on these pads!![/b][/quote]
CASC Post

Nice to see that some guys do other things than drag race these cars [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone use Hawk Blues? I'm leaning towards those, or maybe the Porterfield R4-S pads. The Porterfields are supposed be be close to the Hawk Blues on a road course, but also very good for street use.

[And again, a hint for an 05+ road racing/autocross/handling forum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Or how about a suspension forum?]
Old 4/23/06, 11:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Import-Slaya @ April 22, 2006, 10:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyone use Hawk Blues? I'm leaning towards those, or maybe the Porterfield R4-S pads. The Porterfields are supposed be be close to the Hawk Blues on a road course, but also very good for street use.

[And again, a hint for an 05+ road racing/autocross/handling forum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Or how about a suspension forum?]
[/b][/quote]

Hawk Blues are a dedicated track pad. They will squeel and will require a decent amount of heat to get them to "bite". R4S's are a performance street pad equal to Hawk HPS's.
Old 4/24/06, 06:07 AM
I Have Admin Envy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Import-Slaya @ April 22, 2006, 11:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showforum=114

Its not dedicated to strictly '05's but would be a good exchange of info.
Old 4/24/06, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can highly recommend the modifications I have done; the handling is vastly superior then stock. I will be taking my car to a couple autocrosses this year.