2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing shaker 500 head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/16, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing shaker 500 head unit?

I was thinking about a head unit along these lines: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX3...U.html?tp=5684
Would that work? The only reason I am concerned is that the built in amplifier is 50x4 but the shaker system has 6 speakers?
Old 3/13/16, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Noah Woodcock
I was thinking about a head unit along these lines: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX3...U.html?tp=5684
Would that work? The only reason I am concerned is that the built in amplifier is 50x4 but the shaker system has 6 speakers?
Yep, definitely a consideration but you should be OK. The door subs have separate amplifiers located under the dash. The Shaker head unit sends the bass signal to those amps using the factory wire harness so you just need a way to do that with the aftermarket radio (the only speakers it drives directly are the door speakers and the rear shelf speakers).

The harness that Crutchfield would offer for that kit (add-on option) will probably be the Metra 70-5521, which has RCA connections for the right and left subwoofer channels -- you plug in those to the "Sub Out" connections on the back of the new radio, and they'll send the signal to the stock amps. Looks like on the Kenwood unit you picked, you have a two RCA connections for front speakers, and the other two can either be for the rear speakers, or the subwoofers (you'd probably pick which one in the radio's settings). Only having 4 pre-outs (RCAs) might limit you later down the road if you want to get an external amp for the door & shelf speakers, but if you're only ever planning on driving them directly w/ the Kenwood's internal amp then you're fine.

One more note on those stock subwoofer amps -- they expect a +5V turn on signal from the head unit to turn on, but most aftermarket radios use a +12V signal. This causes a "pop" from the subs when you first turn on the radio. Most people used to use a $3 voltage regulator from Radio Shack, but looks like crutchfield includes one w/ the installation gear you can buy (Axxess AFDI-5V). With the discount they give you on installation gear ($20 for the whole shebang) you might as well use that one instead of going to radioshack.

If you have anymore questions, feel free. Also there's a bunch of older threads here w/ similar installs you can check out, such as this one, or this (shameless self-promotion ). They're not Kenwoods, but the installation is the same.
Old 3/15/16, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
How can you go to Radio Shack? I thought they were all out of business?
Old 3/16/16, 03:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
How can you go to Radio Shack? I thought they were all out of business?
They're still around
Old 3/20/16, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
7805 is the voltage regulator that you buy from them. $2.89, but if Crutchfield has the system with the v/r in it, buy it that way. It will be much cleaner and you don't have to worry about mis-attaching the 3 wires. It is easy to put the center on ends wrong with this.

The v/r is definitely needed if you use any aftermarket head with the Shaker wiring setup. That popping can be deafening if you have your radio up when you turned the car off. It also can, over time, blow out a weak capacitor. It's better to install the 5v regulator and play it safe from the start.

Radio Shack still has quite a few stores, and are online. Most now, are the independent franchises, but they still exist. Lack of knowledgeable employees was their downfall the past few years, along with poor instore choices. Online was the only way to shop from them most of the time. I still use them.