2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

rear sway bar on the v6?

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/04, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive seen the cutaway pictures of the suspension and can see that the gt will have the rear sway bar but does anyone know for sure that the v6 will also come standard with the rear sway bar? just discovered this site...great resource...answered all my questions...except for one. jackg 90 seville 94k
Old 5/22/04, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by justgreat@May. 22nd, 2004, 8:18 AM
ive seen the cutaway pictures of the suspension and can see that the gt will have the rear sway bar but does anyone know for sure that the v6 will also come standard with the rear sway bar? just discovered this site...great resource...answered all my questions...except for one. jackg 90 seville 94k
No it does not.
Old 5/22/04, 08:59 AM
GT Member

i feel really stupid, shows my mechanical prowess is not so good, i thought every car had to have one...

i drove my 94 Vert for 6 months without a sway bar, cuz it cracked, and was hanging down, funny stuff, apparently i could have died or something.
Old 5/22/04, 09:26 AM
GT Member

thanks for the info...too bad, really want a v6 with the handling advantage of the sway bar in back...jackg 90 seville 94k
Old 5/22/04, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by justgreat@May. 22nd, 2004, 9:29 AM
thanks for the info...too bad, really want a v6 with the handling advantage of the sway bar in back...jackg 90 seville 94k
Weight distribution is something like 53/47, so it probably handles OK without a rear bar, although there will be more body roll than with the GT.

You could add an aftermarket bar, but you really need to add a thicker one to the front then too. You need a matched set. If you just add one to the rear and leave the stock bar in front the car will probably oversteer.
Old 5/24/04, 04:11 PM
GT Member

i figured i would go to the parts counter and order the rear sway bar from the gt and have the dealer install it....i suspect that the weight difference between the v6 and the gt will be minimal since the v6 is iron block and the gt is aluminum. the weight distribution of the v6 should be better since the engine is one cylinder shorter in length(does that make sense?) and more of the mass will be toward the center of the car. of course, you're right on about the rear moving around w/o a sway bar back there...that's what i'm most concerned about regardidng the handling. jackg 90 seville 94k
Old 5/24/04, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by icwspiker3@May. 22nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
i feel really stupid, shows my mechanical prowess is not so good, i thought every car had to have one...

i drove my 94 Vert for 6 months without a sway bar, cuz it cracked, and was hanging down, funny stuff, apparently i could have died or something.
you could only of died if the swaybar fell off, got hit by another vehicle, went flying through the air, and hit you in the head. It has nothing to do with braking, turning, or stopping. It only tempers roll rate.
Old 5/24/04, 07:24 PM
Post *****

speaking from experience Kev?
Old 5/24/04, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by justgreat@May. 24th, 2004, 4:14 PM
i figured i would go to the parts counter and order the rear sway bar from the gt and have the dealer install it....i suspect that the weight difference between the v6 and the gt will be minimal since the v6 is iron block and the gt is aluminum. the weight distribution of the v6 should be better since the engine is one cylinder shorter in length(does that make sense?) and more of the mass will be toward the center of the car. of course, you're right on about the rear moving around w/o a sway bar back there...that's what i'm most concerned about regardidng the handling. jackg 90 seville 94k
I don't recommend that you bolt on the GT rear stabar on your V6. The front and rear roll stiffness dictates how much lateral weight transfer goes on the front vs. rear outside tires during cornering. This governs whether or not the car understeers or oversteers. Assuming the V6 is tuned to have mild understeer at max cornering, adding the GT rear bar to it will make it oversteer.

If you want improved roll control you will want to add a rear bar and compensate by going to bigger front stabar or by dropping rear spring rate. B)
Old 5/24/04, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Its way to early to tell. The best resource for pushing the mustangs handling dynamics will continue to be Steeda and Maximum Motorsports. Their thoroughness and engineering abillity will continue to provide the best mustang handling products. No one else is close.
Old 5/25/04, 08:09 AM
GT Member

i've got it in my head that ford went to extreme levels in the planning of the production of the 05 stang to keep the costs down: one example is the limited selection of options...it's cheaper to build when there are fewer choices on the order sheet. with that in mind, i am thinking that the spring, shocks and sway bars will be the same betwen the v6 and the gt...after further thought and taking my head out of my hiney, i realized how wrong i am about the suspension setting differences between the v6 and the gt. they obviously will be different and putting the gt bar on the back of a v6 could be dangerous.

i do think that the weight difference between the v6 and gt will be minimal (all other things being equal). i do wish we could get more substantitive (sp?) info the suspension and brakes...especially the difference between the two models. jackg 90seville 94k