2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rear bumper alignment

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/06, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Rear bumper alignment

My 06 coupe has a noticeable gap on the right side quarter panel where the rear bumper aligns to the quarter panel. After standing on my head and getting my hand in a place I couldn`t move a wrench,A few turns on a bolt head and problem solved. Only a few weeks later the gap has opened again. I`m afraid to put any more pressure on this bolt head because of the plastic bumper flange flattening out. Went to dealer body shop and he says live with it all new Mustanges have it. We looked at a few on the lot and sure enough they all have it. Has anybody else found this to be an irritant and did you get a fix?
Old 5/28/06, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had my rear bumper cover off so stripes could be painted. There are some plastic clips that hold the cover tight in this area. Upon reattachment I had to give that area a good whack with my hand to get the clips to engage, now its a tight fit. That gap in your photo is not normal IMO.

John
Old 5/28/06, 09:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
mines same on passenger side- the rear under taillight stuck out a bit the day I brought it home, now its out almost 1/4 inch and the gap along side of quarter...well it looks like its gonna fall off. I realigned my front pass side too- it was off about 1/8", but havent got around to the rear yet- waxing yesterday it almost appears to have that same double stick tape in there they use on the rear wing(pulled mine to paint black)...I'm hoping its not just stuck on there. Ever notice how sloppy the bottom middle feels when washing/waxing- feels like its attached with rubberbands.

still, no regrets here- I cannot believe how 'right' this car is when driving.
Old 5/28/06, 09:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here. :notnice:
Old 5/29/06, 12:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
mines same on passenger side- the rear under taillight stuck out a bit the day I brought it home, now its out almost 1/4 inch and the gap along side of quarter...well it looks like its gonna fall off. I realigned my front pass side too- it was off about 1/8", but havent got around to the rear yet- waxing yesterday it almost appears to have that same double stick tape in there they use on the rear wing(pulled mine to paint black)...I'm hoping its not just stuck on there. Ever notice how sloppy the bottom middle feels when washing/waxing- feels like its attached with rubberbands.

still, no regrets here- I cannot believe how 'right' this car is when driving.
Yes, I totally agree that I`m light years away from being discouraged with this car. Are you talking about the rear bumper lower middle feeling loose, the front lower bumper is even worse. I have taken all the plastic screws and gromets out and replaced with 1/4 stainless steel bolts, lock nuts and flat washers on both sides to reinforce the mounting of the chin protector. Some day soon I`ll disassemble the rear bumper to fix this gap one way or another ! Any advice on how it mounts would be appreciated.