2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ran first autocross of the season

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/06, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes last Sunday was the first points race this season. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] This year I have lowered the car and added some exhaust and upgraded the rear suspension a bit (check sig.) It was a fairly fast track and I would have loved to have not been running on street tires but the car still handled very well and I ended up doing very well.

I had many people come up to me between runs and say "this sounds a lot different than last year!" I have to say my exhaust sounds sweet when that engine is screaming at the top of the RPM range. I don't have the final results yet, but out of 57 cars I think I came in around 8-10th overall (including those with R-compound tires).

Here is one word of advice to all you owners out there. If there is an autocross club out your way, go take that toy of yours out and play! The factory set up is so predictable and it will give most race prepared cars a good run for their money [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

It is the best way to learn how your car handles in safe, fun environment.

Oh, and one more thing........YOU WILL BE HOOKED!!
Old 5/1/06, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to hear, I have a track day scheduled for June 3rd, I cant wait!

We will be running the FULL 3.56 mile, 21 turn, 40 foot wide circuit!!!

How did your tires look after that day? brakes too?
Old 5/1/06, 07:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also am looking into autocross and congratulations on your placement. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I just spent the day on Thursday at Thunderhill in Willows Ca. for their high speed driving school. 15 turns on a 3 mile lots of changes in elevation course. Big time fun!

www.thunderhill.com
Old 5/1/06, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you are planning is different than autocross. Tire wear and break heat is not such a problem as generally it is only a 60 - 75 second blast and the speeds aren't too high. I am jealous that you get to run on a proper track at higher speeds. You will have a REAL blast, enjoy.

Remember to keep it shiny side up!
Old 5/1/06, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cop on my back @ May 1, 2006, 9:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What you are planning is different than autocross. Tire wear and break heat is not such a problem as generally it is only a 60 - 75 second blast and the speeds aren't too high. I am jealous that you get to run on a proper track at higher speeds. You will have a REAL blast, enjoy.

Remember to keep it shiny side up!
[/b][/quote]

Man, dont even say that, lol.

Its 235 bucks to run 8-5pm. Its with a Lotus Club. Im sure I will be out classed.
Old 5/2/06, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ May 2, 2006, 4:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Its with a Lotus Club. Im sure I will be out classed.
[/b][/quote]

I'm pretty sure you will be, the Lotus Elise is considered to have the best handling of ALL sports cars. Ever! (I'm not including proper race cars or rally cars here).
But yeah, you will definitely have a lot of fun! Take some pics or even shoot a vid if you can, and post back here.
Old 5/2/06, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's an AutoX I see around here, but all they do is go screaming around a high school parking lot. Tons of ricers, usually.

I'd luv to take my car on a "real" track like what Stoenr posted.
Old 5/2/06, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Check out page 3 and 4, buddy of mine signed up for a year membership to run his Steeda
http://www.autobahnevents.com/
Old 5/2/06, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

I can't wait to try an autocross someday, it sounds like so much fun, first I need a car though, then I need to find out where they do it around here.

Hey John, I thought that track you posted looked familiar to me, then I realized it was where they took the SN65 out for its first track day. If you havent heard of the car it's worth checking out. It's a cross between a 65 fastback and 03 cobra.

Sorry for going off topic but heres a link to some videos of it going around that track. http://sn65.com/SN65%20story.htm
Old 5/2/06, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(THRUST_ @ May 2, 2006, 5:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I can't wait to try an autocross someday, it sounds like so much fun, first I need a car though, then I need to find out where they do it around here.

Hey John, I thought that track you posted looked familiar to me, then I realized it was where they took the SN65 out for its first track day. If you havent heard of the car it's worth checking out. It's a cross between a 65 fastback and 03 cobra.

Sorry for going off topic but heres a link to some videos of it going around that track. http://sn65.com/SN65%20story.htm
[/b][/quote]

darn thats sweet!

Im excited, just got all the necessary emails for the days event, and like cop on my back said, your gonna be hooked.

Maybe I should have bought a minivan instead......................yeah right!
Old 5/2/06, 05:55 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Louie @ May 2, 2006, 4:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm pretty sure you will be, the Lotus Elise is considered to have the best handling of ALL sports cars. Ever! (I'm not including proper race cars or rally cars here).[/b][/quote]

I was at Thunderhill with Rich last week. There were three Elise's there and yepper, they do real well in the corners, but our displacement makes 'em sweat in the straights. They also seem to be twitchy little cars as a couple of them spent some time off-track. (lol)

The real Killer is the C6. Man that car is plain Bad (straights or corners) and we've got nothing for it.

Autocross, track days and High Performance Driving Experiences are a ton of fun. Everyone should do one, just to see what the Pony can do! These really are very capable cars and if you don't abuse them, they treat you right.
Old 5/2/06, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ May 2, 2006, 9:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Check out page 3 and 4, buddy of mine signed up for a year membership to run his Steeda
http://www.autobahnevents.com/
[/b][/quote]
Holy cow, isnt the entry fee (for a year subscription) around 40k, and 3k after that?!
Old 5/2/06, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talk about horsepower a 2006 Z06 Corvette went by me when I was going around 120 on the straight away like I was braking. Those bad boys are fast!
Old 5/2/06, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Damestic89 @ May 2, 2006, 7:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Holy cow, isnt the entry fee (for a year subscription) around 40k, and 3k after that?!
[/b][/quote]

Lol yeah, insane isn't it!
I got in with a Lotus Club, thy rent the track out so many times and is for their members.
The fee was 235.00 for racing 8-5pm. Trainers on hand to take you around and give you tips and what not, will be a great learning experience. I think i drive pretty darn good as is, but don't we all, lol. We shall see
Old 5/2/06, 09:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ May 2, 2006, 7:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think i drive pretty darn good as is, but don't we all, lol. We shall see
[/b][/quote]

You are in for an awakening. You will push your car much harder than you ever have on the street. 2 of my friend are full members at Autobahn. They also are Mustang guys. I want to take my car there sometime over the summer as a guest.
Old 5/2/06, 09:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ May 2, 2006, 10:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You are in for an awakening. You will push your car much harder than you ever have on the street. 2 of my friend are full members at Autobahn. They also are Mustang guys. I want to take my car there sometime over the summer as a guest.
[/b][/quote]

Thats what I wanted to hear!
Driving on public roads will never be the same! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

On of your friends have a Tungsten Grey Steeda vert?
Old 5/2/06, 09:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ May 2, 2006, 10:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thats what I wanted to hear!
Driving on public roads will never be the same! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

On of your friends have a Tungsten Grey Steeda vert?
[/b][/quote]

Nope. One friend has a 95 Yellow GT. It's got a custom SLA front suspension and an IRS Rear. It's a race car, but looks stock. He also has a GT350 Replica tube framed race car. It's a bad hiney car. Powered by a Ford 392 making almost 700hp.

The other friend has a 97 SVT Cobra.
Old 5/3/06, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you go to these kinds of events, is everyone very good about not making contact with other cars? I can just imagine some idiot that either is way too competitive or just can't drive and having them end up hitting me. I've always wanted to do something like that. When I had my Cobra, I was looking into it but I had to get rid of it before I ever got the chance. If I were to damage to my own car at one of these events, that would be one thing. But if someone else did it to me, I'd have to kill someone. I can't wait to get another Mustang and try this out.