R&T Best Sub-$30K Enthusiast Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/06, 04:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie
oh oh... I see another live axle debate... that's SO 2004
Like blue jeans and blonde hair, some things never go out of style.
Old 11/16/06, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Even a stripper Mustang GT Deluxe will be $27k w/ the X-Plan and after TTL.
I just got mine last week. GT Deluxe + IUP + Shaker500 + Sirius, sticker at $27.7k.

I have no x-plan. Out the door, $26k. And that's after they sprung all these advertising fees and paper-pushing fees on me.
Old 11/16/06, 03:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Francis
I just got mine last week. GT Deluxe + IUP + Shaker500 + Sirius, sticker at $27.7k.

I have no x-plan. Out the door, $26k. And that's after they sprung all these advertising fees and paper-pushing fees on me.
It could be the dealers are slashing prices on lot cars just to get rid of cars before the winter season when Mustangs don't sell well. The GT Deluxe with: Shaker 500, floor mats, active anti-theft, 3.55s has a sticker price of $27535. X-Plan is $25800 (not including TTL).
Old 11/16/06, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST
Curious, why do so many people hate a solid rear axle? I much prefer that over IRS. Call me old school but there's nothing wrong with a solid rear axle.
Depends what you're looking for.

Live axles are cheap, simple, and well suited for drag racing and trailer pulling. On the negative, they offer a worse ride/handling compromise and their handling capability deteriorates badly on rough roads.

IRSs cost a bit more, are a bit more complex though are well suited for road racing and real world performance. They offer a superior ride/handling compromise and far better handling on rougher roads.

A lot/most Stangers seem to be drag racers and thus prefer the cheap, simple rugged live axle and will put up with (ignore) its shortcomings. The advantages of an IRS really don't come into play on a drag strip.

Other were hoping the '05 Stang would broaden its performance envelope beyond the limited and artificial confines of a drag strip with at least the option of a contemporary IRS, thus the great disappointment in its absence.
Old 11/16/06, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Depends what you're looking for.

Live axles are cheap, simple, and well suited for drag racing and trailer pulling. On the negative, they offer a worse ride/handling compromise and their handling capability deteriorates badly on rough roads.

IRSs cost a bit more, are a bit more complex though are well suited for road racing and real world performance. They offer a superior ride/handling compromise and far better handling on rougher roads.

A lot/most Stangers seem to be drag racers and thus prefer the cheap, simple rugged live axle and will put up with (ignore) its shortcomings. The advantages of an IRS really don't come into play on a drag strip.

Other were hoping the '05 Stang would broaden its performance envelope beyond the limited and artificial confines of a drag strip with at least the option of a contemporary IRS, thus the great disappointment in its absence.
Please, PLEASE, don't try and start another Live Axle vs. IRS debate again. Its been discussed at length already. If you haven't read, most, if not all the auto rags have said that the Mustang's setup is the best live axle setup they ever rode in, and didn't really miss the IRS. The debate is dead, please leave it at that.