2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Quarter Window Louvers - Washing Nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/11, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quarter Window Louvers - Washing Nightmare?

Hey Guys,

I have been seriously thinking about installing a set of these on my mustang, but I have a concern.

How do you clean the window under it once they are installed? It was my understanding that you 3M these to the paint around the outside of the window, therefore, once they are on, there's really no taking them off. Unless, you 3M a base to the car and the louvers can detach at any time. I am not really sure how they install either.

As I am clean freak when it comes to my car, not being able to get to my window is a concern.

Thanks.
Old 1/28/11, 06:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the SHR louvers. I clean them w/ a damp rag. Have you looked at those?
Old 1/28/11, 06:45 PM
GT Member

I have, but they seem like a pain to install. I am not sure I a tech savvy enough to take out my window and put in a new one without having issues with sealing.
Old 1/28/11, 07:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
the SHR install is not that difficult at all, some might be a little intimidated at taking anything off the car, but the instructions are excellent (get the tool kit) and its a pretty easy job. If you can get a helper to assist with the cutting wire- I was able to do it alone, but the back corner was uncomfortable stretch- was wishing my oldest son was home that night to help for a few minutes
the plastic bits are easy, lots of detailed pics in the instructions- DOH- just happend to think, the instructions are on SHRs site- check it out.

my kids basketball coach has a glass shop- he told me he'd pull the REAR glass and reinstall for 75(was thinking about re-tinting...talk about a pain- pulling the glass would make it a breeze), so I'd bet a window guy could pull the little side glass for even less- its pretty easy if you dont want to mess with it...

I still think the SHRs are the most complimentary design out there- they just scream mustang and fit so well with the lines of the car- and visibility is nearly unchanged, easy to rinse clean, etc...yeah I'm a bit biased, but seriously- I came *that* close to having my windows welded over and painted with 69 roof emblems installed...soooo glad I procrastinated on that. the shop I talked to wanted 2k to fill/paint, no emblems or interior coverings...and it wouldnt have looked anywhere near as good as these.

best thing about SHR is you would be hard pressed to find a better vendor- they make all their stuff here in the USA, and are rightly proud of it...how many shops can come up with a truly unique concept, design it, make the mold, research the best materials, run the parts, inspect/ finish/ ship/ stand behind them, basically everything- and yet all you ever hear about them is how great a job they do- coming from 'notoriously picky about their cars' Mustang fans, I'd say they are about the best in the business.

Ive got Identical Mustangs sitting side by side in the garage, ones as original as they come, the others got a few add ons...every time I walk thru, I just cant help but think, 'man those louvers look great' compared to the other ones windows...If I ever decide its time to finally drive the new one, the louvers will be THE first mod. thinking about getting them come income tax refund time, and just putting them in the trunk till the time comes.
Old 1/31/11, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came with the Roush louvers. I purchased the quarter window aluminum inside panels so that you cannot see out of them, thus cannot see the dirty window. I do the best job I can from the outside, but it's difficult.

Good luck.
Old 1/31/11, 08:25 PM
GT Member

the are louvers out there that you can take off the car to clean the window and put them back on
Old 2/1/11, 05:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Green96GT
the are louvers out there that you can take off the car to clean the window and put them back on
Do you know which ones those are?

Also, when you put the 3M tape on, is it recommended to leave a gap on the bottom half, ever so small, so that water can run out when it is raining/washing your car?
Old 2/2/11, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Did he mean to say

Are there
or
There are
Old 2/3/11, 06:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RMB427R
Did he mean to say

Are there
or
There are
Oh, I assumed he meant there are. Didn't even occur to me if he was asking a question.
Old 2/3/11, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly I've had my CDC louvers on for years and NEVER cleaned behind them or even noticed if they needed to be cleaned. Plus, I never sit in the back seats and never look out those windows. I wouldn't even worry about it.
Old 2/3/11, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I never clean behind my louvers and I don't notice if the windows are dirty due to the dark tint I had installed.
Old 2/4/11, 03:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Do you know which ones those are?

Also, when you put the 3M tape on, is it recommended to leave a gap on the bottom half, ever so small, so that water can run out when it is raining/washing your car?
the roush ones seem to be removable. you mount the brackets to the glass and then you screw the louver to the mount. besides the shr, the roush would be the one i would get if i ever decided to get louvers.

and yes, the cdc louver kit instructs to leave a 1/2" gap on the bottom so that water can drain out.
Old 2/4/11, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

My Roush ones look like they are pop riveted onto the brackets. Non removable unless drilled out.
Old 2/4/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RMB427R
My Roush ones look like they are pop riveted onto the brackets. Non removable unless drilled out.
hmm... according to the instructions, they are screws. 8-32 x 1/4. there are no rivets on the parts list.

maybe yours were installed differently. idk.

http://store.roushperformance.com/im...346_manual.pdf

edit: maybe those are allen screws and look like pop rivets? idk.

Last edited by sound wave; 2/4/11 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding
Old 2/5/11, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, how about that. I just checked again and sure enough, they are in fact allen screws! They really do look like pop rivets though. Guess I never really thought to look closely. Thanks for bringing this up.