2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Problem update

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/05, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had squeaky brakes and a bulge in the aluminum dash covering the passenger airbag. The brake pads have been replaced once and the rotors turned but the squeaks came back. Dealer said that there is now a part to order to repair the dask problem, hopefully get resolution on that next week. For the brakes, dealer said Ford is aware of, and working on, the problem. They were told to stop replacing the brake pads, which makes me wonder of the rotors on some of the cars are bad, even if they've been turned. Don't know exactly how but maybe they're warping a little when they get hot or something. Just speculation there. I'll be checking with the dealer periodically to see about a response from Ford.

Just a note to those who would like to hijack this thread and blast Ford quality; kindly shut your trap and hijack another thread. I love my car, and these issues are minor annoyances, not grave quality control problems. I am not so much complaining about these problems as much as trying to help others who may be experiencing similiar issues.

Jason
Old 1/15/05, 10:36 PM
GT Member

I have not had a problem with this issue, however, being formerly ASE certified in brakes I can tell you that the calipers and mounts can also be suspect. This may explain why they have stopped replacing pads.
Old 1/16/05, 06:42 PM
GT Member

I have the same problem with my passenger side air bag cover. I have not had a chance to take in to get it looked at yet.
Old 1/17/05, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Chaotic Bliss@January 16, 2005, 7:45 PM
I have the same problem with my passenger side air bag cover. I have not had a chance to take in to get it looked at yet.
Take it in and let your service Dept know that Ford has a fix available. If they can't locate the info let me know, I'll ask my service rep what the Ford part number is.

Jason
Old 1/17/05, 06:13 AM
Cobra Member

The brakes could be glazing over and causing the squeeks, which could be related to the pad compound being used.
Old 1/17/05, 06:18 AM
Cobra Member

I know that Ford has had problems with the metal that the rotors are made of on some other models. Especially some of the 90's F-150 just to name one. Not Fords fault really. It was some type of forging problem. Maybe the possible problem, I've never seen rotors rust so quick in my life....
Old 3/3/05, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another update. I picked up my car and the dealership really didn't fix anything. Brakes still squeaked, still had the gear whine, and my IUP dash still bulged on the right side of the passenger's airbag. Called to complain and the service manager said he'd look into it. Supposedly now I will take it in next week and they will replace the pads and turn the rotors, again. They will also replace the rear ring and pinion which will hopefully eliminate the gear whine. Not a lot of hope on the IUP bulge though which blows as it bugs the heck out of me but, they will do what they can. Maybe they can get rid of the rattle that's developed over there was well.

Still love the car and I'm not complaining as much as informing. I think it's important that we share the problems our cars have run into and what was done to fix it.Worse comes to worse, I may dissamble the dash around the airbag and see what I can come up with. My guess is they just don't know what they're doing because it's such a new car.

Best of luck to others. Oh, and please refrain from hijacking this thread and turning it into a "this is why I'll never buy domestic blah blah blah" thread. I love my car, minor faults and all so can it . Also, I could care less about turning the rotors again. Those will be replaced fairly soon anyways.
Old 3/3/05, 09:57 PM
V6 Member

Yep I have both the issues you describe. My brakes "squeel" slightly (not loudly) when applied gently (but never on harder stops), and my passsenger airbag horizontal dash seam has the "bulge" and a constant, annoying "squeek" that goes away if I reach over when driveing and apply pressure with my hand.

Have not been to local Ford dealer, like you I still LOVE this car and consider these isssues minor . Let us know what dealer does (if anything).
Old 3/3/05, 11:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I was a mechanic for 8 years, and I always prided myself on doing great break jobs. Most noise or squeaks etc. on brakes is caused by vibration. Some of the things I would do to take care of these issues include, lightly sand the pads to give a new surface, use spray on rubber type brake adhesive, and always lube up the sliding points of the caliper and pins with white lithium lube. The lube makes sure everything is nice and smooth, the pad backing adhesive, sort of puts a rubber backing on the pads so that it is dampened against the piston instead of the metal against metal, and lightly sanding the pads gives you a new surface if they have glazed over a bit. Like I said most of these issues in other cars are taken care of by these types of attention to detail. Its usually all about vibration between pad, pins, calipers, etc. I have done this to problem issues, and never had the car come back. Good luck to all with these issues, since mine was just built hopefully wont have these issues if ford is aware of them.
Old 3/4/05, 02:07 PM

Hi... I also have the squeaky brakes... Dealer told me that it normal due to metalic material of pads... I told that is BS for a new car. Is there a TSB out on this issue. So I can fight to fix it.

I need to take my back to get the tank installed. Thanks to this site for giving me TSB number. They had to order me a new tank. Without it, they might have blew me off also.

Thanks, Brenton

PS... STILL VERY HAPPY 2005 MUSTANG OWNER
Old 3/4/05, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

No TSB yet but my Service Manager said his FSA reported that there were reported cases of the brake squeal. Normally, deglazing and new pads fixed the problem, which is why they want to try that again on my car.

Jason
Old 3/4/05, 04:18 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Good luck with that Jason. I haven't had that problem, but I've had the gas tank issues, upper strut bearing mount noise, dash rattle, CELs, and I still love this car.
Old 3/4/05, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY@March 4, 2005, 3:21 PM
Good luck with that Jason. I haven't had that problem, but I've had the gas tank issues, upper strut bearing mount noise, dash rattle, CELs, and I still love this car.

But I'm not quite sure with the CEL means

Old 3/4/05, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

check engine light
Old 3/4/05, 11:00 PM
Cobra R Member

metallic pads due cause ocassional squeak but that is just at first or second brake of the day, as moisture builds up etc. Normally first or second brake clears pad of residue/rust moisture. So yes he is full of it. Metallic pads or not, vibration like I said is the normal culprit one way or the other, metal against metal, caliper against metal backing of pad and pins etc. good luck too all having the problem, my suggestion is what I said in previous posting, or wait till theyll fix it.
Old 4/28/05, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's another update. Dealership had my car for a week to fix the squeaky brakes and the gear whine. the replaced the ring and pinion twice because the service manager thought he still heard the gear whine after the first replacement. What a difference! I don't hear a thing from the rear end now. As for the brakes, that'll be a wait and see game for a few thousand miles. Hopefully that problem is fixed for good as well. The only complaint I really have left is the passenger side air bag cover not being flush. For now, I'll just continue to enjoy my car and see about getting the airbag cover fixed in a few months.

Props to my dealership, John Bleakly Ford, for giving me an 05 F150 as a loaner for the week. I was expecting something much less expensive as a loaner. The service manager seems to be a class act too.

Jason