2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Poor Lug Wrench design...

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/08, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug nuts - still done the old fashioned way - wonder if anyone will ever develop a better way to hang a tire and wheel?
Old 11/1/08, 09:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Race cars got something workin right & fast !
Old 11/3/08, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
It's for emergency road side flat tire swaps only. Using it to rotate your tires at home is, well, silly.

Get a proper "4 way" lug nut wrench. They make removing and installing the nuts SO much easier and faster. Amazingly enough, that is exactly what they are made for...

As for stripping out your ratchet...

1) You used way too small of a ratchet and
2) you used WAY too cheap of a tool! Buy good tools and buy them once. Buy cheap tools and buy them for every project.

Every 3/8" drive ratchet in my house can take off the lug nuts without breaking. Of course, I almost always use the proper 4 way lug nut wrench instead...
The sad part is, it was a craftsman ratchet, but then again, they have a lifetime warranty from Sears. We just moved, and the 4-way was still packed in a box somewhere, which was the only reason I used the ratchet.
Old 11/5/08, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to confess, I have a lot of sears hand tools also. Pretty much only because of the lifetime warranty! It IS hard to complain when you can take a standard socket that you shattered with an impact gun and simply say "it broke" and they will hand you a brand new one. Heck, I have taken tools that I have found on the road (after being run over multiple times by semi trucks!) that were almost unrecognizable and Sears didn't have any issues giving me a new replacement.

And given how long it takes me to unpack after a move, I can fully understand...
Old 11/5/08, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys I have upgrade 14" rotors and Big brakes. Would the spare tire work if I get a flat? Ff not im going to toss it out to save some weight.
Old 11/5/08, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

that's ok it don't wiegh that much why do you think they made it that way in the first place ? my new one will NEVER be used by me again for fear of breaking my hand it buckled that fast
Old 11/5/08, 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
I have to confess, I have a lot of sears hand tools also. Pretty much only because of the lifetime warranty! It IS hard to complain when you can take a standard socket that you shattered with an impact gun and simply say "it broke" and they will hand you a brand new one. Heck, I have taken tools that I have found on the road (after being run over multiple times by semi trucks!) that were almost unrecognizable and Sears didn't have any issues giving me a new replacement.

And given how long it takes me to unpack after a move, I can fully understand...
humm I hope that true with my drills batteries ?
Old 11/5/08, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
humm I hope that true with my drills batteries ?
Sorry, but your out of luck there. It's pretty much only Craftsman branded hand tools. Power tools are not covered the same way. But things like screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, sockets, ratchets, etc are all covered IF they are Craftsman brand (not all tools sold at Sears are Craftsman, even Sears brands).