Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinch welds

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/10, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Pinch welds

The pinch weld at the passenger side rear jack point was not square on my car. Jacked up the car and bent part of the inner panel on the rocker panel.

The inside piece was not square (it was lower) and the corner bent.

Anyone else had this issue?
Old 2/8/10, 06:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
never used the factory jack on mine yet...if the sheetmetal bent, it could have opened a tiny gap in the epoxy dip they run thru, might want to be certain its real dry and press some seam sealer up in any gap that might be there...I'd probably grind it flat after it dried(that way grit wont get wedged in to start rusting, and touch it up with some paint...hate to grind the epoxy off, but the jack will surely scratch it anyways right? I'm just real paraniod about rust

speaking of pinchwelds, I'll rehash a concern I posted a long time ago- the 'flap' in front of the rear tires was NOT sealed on either side of my car, and about half the others Ive looked at- need a mirror to see behind it, but the angle the undercoat wand was held on many cars it sprayed the front/back edge of that flap, but the back junction where it meets the inner wheelhouse had a open gap. Ive tried to urge everyone to look under there- predict a lot of cars will get crap in there and rust in a very inaccessible area.

the other spot I predict will be prone to rot- the front fender/bumper horizontal junction and the...guess youd call it the horizontal part of the core support behind the headlights- bet if yo look with a flashlight into the fenderwell hole where the snorkel goes thru, you will see a lot of mud/roadgrime back there. My 06 had 300 miles on it(only a few days old, but HAD to drive it) before I pulled the door panels/fenders/fenderwells/hood off...spent a week under it sealing everything up except the lowest drains, and injected paint into all the pinchwelds, when it seeped out, taped it to fill the razor thin gaps...made a mess, but hopefully its a bit of a u-boat under there now also used roll-on bedliner pretty much everywhere stones would hit...time will tell.
Old 2/9/10, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

It doesn't look too bad. Some paint chipped off a little bit. Touched it up and see if that works for a while.

I was planning on installing some flat black rocker molding. When the stock molding comes off, it would be a good time to POR 15 the rocker panels and anything else that needs it. I'll check out that area in the rear wheel house and see.

It'll have to wait until Spring though.
Old 2/9/10, 08:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
It doesn't look too bad. Some paint chipped off a little bit. Touched it up and see if that works for a while.

I was planning on installing some flat black rocker molding. When the stock molding comes off, it would be a good time to POR 15 the rocker panels and anything else that needs it. I'll check out that area in the rear wheel house and see.

It'll have to wait until Spring though.
dont use POR15 over paint...trust me

the roll on bedliner IMO is good stuff, just scuff the area first and it holds great.

I had used POR(love that stuff on etched steel!) and, it does not stick to paint at all...great on bare metal, but shrinks/peels off paint in a couple weeks. on bare etched steel you need a chiesel to remove it.
Old 2/9/10, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good to know.

Thanks.
Old 2/10/10, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are different "models" of POR15 including paint that can be applied to painted surfaces.