Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 question

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/10, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT500 question

Over the summer I will have to be buying a new car. I wouldn't mind the new 5.0 but from what it sounds like it will not be able to support boost. I would find an 09 GT but would probably have to build the bottom end for what I have planned for this car. The GT500 already has a forgrd bottom end as well as a sc.

My question is what would be an unreasonable offer for a leftover 08-09 Shelby GT500?
Thanks
Old 2/4/10, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SynisterGT

My question is what would be an unreasonable offer for a leftover 08-09 Shelby GT500?
Thanks
100$
Old 2/4/10, 09:36 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the summer I will have to be buying a new car. I wouldn't mind the new 5.0 but from what it sounds like it will not be able to support boost. I would find an 09 GT but would probably have to build the bottom end for what I have planned for this car. The GT500 already has a forgrd bottom end as well as a sc.

Thanks
I've seen some in the low/mid 30's(though I think they were 2007's) while i've seen some that people STILL want MSRP for. Your best bet is to probably look around your area and see what they're going for locally, then widen your search a bit if you don't quite like those prices. Check Ebay out, too. It'll give you a good idea of prices.
Old 2/9/10, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. The wait for the summer to get here is annoying though. I cant wait to get my new Mustang. I will start looking around to see the prices but my reasoning is that these cars will be 2-3 years old and won't there be any rebates?
Old 2/9/10, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I see that from your sig you've already got a 2007 GT

The cheapest rout available to you is to build your bottom end and apply a power adder of your choice to it. The differences to the GT500 I personally don't believe are great enough to overcome the price disparity. Especially considering you can make your car look identical if you desired to do so.
Old 2/9/10, 05:04 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Thanks
Leftover, meaning brand new, under 100 miles?

Low $40s.
Old 2/9/10, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

New and unused left over 08 or 09 GT500...High 30's to low 40's
Old 2/10/10, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce

The cheapest rout available to you is to build your bottom end and apply a power adder of your choice to it. The differences to the GT500 I personally don't believe are great enough to overcome the price disparity. Especially considering you can make your car look identical if you desired to do so.
My dad will be getting the 07 in the summer thats why I have to buy a stang I'm just trying to fiqure out the best route to save me money in the long run. Plus I want a manual.

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Leftover, meaning brand new, under 100 miles?

Low $40s.
Sounds good.

Originally Posted by CooBra07
If I could get one for under 40k out the door I should be set. Lets hope all goes as planned over the summer.
Old 2/10/10, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CooBra07
+2

If you can find any new ones left. Good luck, you won't regret it!
Old 2/10/10, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Maybe, but when he eventually sells it a real GT500 will be worth a hell of a lot more than a modded GT or a faked GT500.
Old 2/11/10, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

My dad will be getting the 07 in the summer thats why I have to buy a stang I'm just trying to fiqure out the best route to save me money in the long run. Plus I want a manual.
That makes sense then. If that's the case and you have to purchase a car anyway, I would definitely go with the GT500 if you can swing it. You might also consider a low mile stock or near stock 2003/2004 Cobra.

Originally Posted by Novelty goat
Maybe, but when he eventually sells it a real GT500 will be worth a hell of a lot more than a modded GT or a faked GT500.
When purchasing cars like these, if you're worried about resale, it's the wrong car. If you're that worried buy a honda. Unless it's a highly sought after classic, anything you buy to have fun with WILL lose value and you WILL lose money on it.

That's why unless you're in a position that you have to purchase a new car, it's always cheaper to modify yours to get what you want out of it.

I'm sure many will claim that the GT500 may become a collector. That may be, but it took 40 years for collector cars now to become collectibles, with a few notable exceptions (like the Supra). I doubt this guy's gonna have his next car for 40+ years. So if he's really concerned about resale on the back-end, he's looking at the wrong car in general.
Old 2/11/10, 01:34 PM
GT Member

That makes sense then. If that's the case and you have to purchase a car anyway, I would definitely go with the GT500 if you can swing it. You might also consider a low mile stock or near stock 2003/2004 Cobra.

When purchasing cars like these, if you're worried about resale, it's the wrong car. If you're that worried buy a honda. Unless it's a highly sought after classic, anything you buy to have fun with WILL lose value and you WILL lose money on it.

That's why unless you're in a position that you have to purchase a new car, it's always cheaper to modify yours to get what you want out of it.

I'm sure many will claim that the GT500 may become a collector. That may be, but it took 40 years for collector cars now to become collectibles, with a few notable exceptions (like the Supra). I doubt this guy's gonna have his next car for 40+ years. So if he's really concerned about resale on the back-end, he's looking at the wrong car in general.
While resale value is not the primary consideration when purchasing a muscle car, to ignore it is ignorant. And it is definitely not always cheaper to mod your own car, unless, as obviously in your case, you ignore what the car will be worth when you are done. But unless you plan on keeping the car forever, that's idiotic because you'll just have to make up the difference when you trade or sell. Besides, who says you have to buy a new GT500? Instead of modding your GT, you can sell it and buy a used GT500. That's a win-win because you didn't throw money away modding and you now have an intrinsically more desirable car.

As far as collector status taking 40 years, not really. Late 60's muscle started to fetch big money by the late 80's.