2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

performance comparison

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good comparisons of the 2 out there? I know its dependant of the driver and all, but how much difference is there between the 2?
Old 6/17/05, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

If there wasn't a govener on them the Auto is "faster" (TOP END) because of gearing , For "quicker" in the 1/4, it is a drivers race.

I'm not sure about Auto Cross, you might be able to leave it in one gear the whole time depending on the course.

IMHO
Old 6/17/05, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I love my auto trans....I tried out both.....the auto seemed to have more power. Very smooth when gears shift. I live in a small town, and the auto seems to suit my purpose better.
Old 6/17/05, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Depends on the driver. I'd bet 9 of 10 drivers would do a faster 1/4 mile in the auto, because shifting well and fast is a bit of a tallent. I drove stick for years and no way could I match my auto, and I'd almost always grind 3rd or misshift into 5th.

Don't know what the power train loss is, and how much different shift points and gearing are but unless your very good and slapping gears, your not going to be able to take advantage of the slight power advantage of the manual.
Old 6/18/05, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by nynvolt@June 17, 2005, 9:53 PM
Depends on the driver. I'd bet 9 of 10 drivers would do a faster 1/4 mile in the auto, because shifting well and fast is a bit of a tallent. I drove stick for years and no way could I match my auto, and I'd almost always grind 3rd or misshift into 5th.

Don't know what the power train loss is, and how much different shift points and gearing are but unless your very good and slapping gears, your not going to be able to take advantage of the slight power advantage of the manual.
in my opinon i love the auto ...so smooth...good power...learning now how to keep the revs up by downshifting and the likes...
Old 6/18/05, 07:11 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The auto is great (except for that annoying throttle lag... :bang: )
Old 6/18/05, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

The auto is great, Dave if you get a tune the throttle lag disappears and the poofs are awesome.
Old 6/18/05, 08:38 AM
GT Member

for the unexperienced driver, an auto is quicker to shift and smoother

an auto however has a torgue converter, which reduces efficiency, resulting in lower gas mileage and slower acceleration.

Theres a reason why race cars use manuals instead of autos, as well as why calssic car buffs prefer a stick.

I did some reading, and came up with the following:

manual:
Advantages

Manual transmissions are typically more efficient than automatic transmissions. This is because manuals generally involve a clutch instead of a torque converter, which can cause significant power losses. This results in both better acceleration and fuel economy.
It is generally easier to build very strong manual transmissions than automatic transmissions. Manual transmissions usually have only one clutch, whereas automatics have many clutch packs.
Manual transmissions normally do not require active cooling, because not much power is dissipated as heat through the transmission.
A driver has more direct control over the state of the transmission with a manual than an automatic.
Manual transmissions are typically cheaper to build than automatic transmissions.
Manual transmissions generally require less maintenance than automatic transmissions.
In addition, many people feel that driving a manual forces the driver to pay more attention to the road and to other cars, making it more difficult to become distracted.

Disadvantages

Manual transmissions require more driver interaction than automatic transmissions.
A driver may inadvertently shift into the wrong gear with a manual transmission, potentially causing damage to the engine and transmission as well as compromising safety.
Manual transmissions are more difficult to learn to drive as one needs to develop a feel for properly engaging the clutch.
The smooth and quick shifts of an automatic transmission are not guaranteed when operating a manual transmission.
Manual transmissions require more controls than automatic transmissions. This is an issue in cramped cockpits, cars where a floor-shifter is inconvenient, or in vehicles equipped for disabled drivers.
Manual transmissions make it especially challenging to start when stopped upward on a hill, especially for newer drivers.
Old 6/18/05, 09:00 AM
FR500 Member

hey metfoo.....good write up