2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Parking cones to stop door dings

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/07, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, went to Walmart to get 6 qts. of Mobil1 and filter. I parked in the somewhat empty auto service area. I was in an out in less than 5 minutes, an older car parked next to me, but no dings. Removing the first oil filter tested my patience. I took a screwdriver to it.

I guess the traffic cones are out.
Old 1/2/07, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Cones: Not a good idea IMO. I park away from everyone else and never at the bottom of the hill, carts just seem to run that way. If I go shopping, the Explorer is my vehicle of choice, the baby gets left at home.
Old 1/2/07, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Cones would be a no no. As stated they would just draw the attention of undesireables. Parking as far away as possible is OK but still draws the random a&(^* that just has to park next to you. Even if you're the only car in a 100 car lot! It's like going to an empty restaraunt and then the next people that come in will ALWAYS sit right next to you! What gives?!
Old 1/2/07, 06:48 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
It's not illegal since you're parking on private property. Cones seem to be a popular target of vandals though. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't come out to find them arranged across the top of your car!
Around here, you'd just come out to find them gone...
Old 1/2/07, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use of cones! might as well paint a bullseye on your Stang!
Old 1/2/07, 08:08 PM
GTR Member

cones will be stolen and your ride gashed
Old 1/3/07, 12:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Harley
I agree that cones would be an invitation for a jerk to do something nasty. Even parking a mile away from everyone else seems to be an invitation. I did that at a mall with a brand new car back in the 70s and came out to find a beater parked next to it and, yes, a big ding.

If I must leave it in a lot for a while, I always try to find a space with an "island" on one side, preferably the right side because there may be a little better chance that the person parking next to it won't have a passenger opening their door.

I also look for spaces next to really nice cars where the owner might be jsut as **** as me, or next to mini-vans with sliding doors.
+1 for all of this. I also try to look for "employee" type areas where the cars arent going to be moved for a while
Old 1/3/07, 01:12 AM
Closet American

Two Words...

Trunk Monkey.

OK, since trunk monkeys aren't real, two more words...

Auto Taser. You can read more about it here.
Old 1/3/07, 01:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Trunk Monkey.

OK, since trunk monkeys aren't real, two more words...

Auto Taser. You can read more about it here.
I saw one back in the day that was a flamethrower out the bottom. Good stuff.
Old 1/3/07, 01:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
I try to park next to unmovable objects as well. IE curbs, planters, etc.
+1 ! Even when I park out in the middle of nowhere it seems someone always parks right next to me . Traffic cones are just asking for trouble, IMO.
Old 1/3/07, 01:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
+1 ! Even when I park out in the middle of nowhere it seems someone always parks right next to me . Traffic cones are just asking for trouble, IMO.
I hate those guys. I find that its safer to park new to an imovalbe object and a guy thats already parked sometimes. Its less likely hell come back than someone new park beside me in an open spot.
Old 1/3/07, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
An owner of a E-series or F-series, IMHO, is justified in taking 2 spots. The larger 250+ trims are wide enough that the doors will slam into smaller cars parked next to it. HMMWVs are also included in my category of vehicles justified in taking 2 parking spots. This is especially true when the designers of the parking lots think of Civics as the definition of a car.
It was implied that I was just talking about the owners of cars that could easily fit into 1 space. If you physically can't fit in 1 space that is an entirely different situation.
Old 1/3/07, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

I try and park far out like the rest. Still I look at other things when parking like, looking for stray carts in the area and moving them, putting them back or tipping them over ontop of a curb. I have had someone pull right next to me 10 seconds after I parked out in the middle of nowhere. I turned around and got in my car and moved it, guy made a face at me and I looked at him and smiled. Though I don't make a habbit out of that as people can get pretty mad.
Old 1/3/07, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Just find an end spot...and leave as much room as you can on the exposed side (be careful not to mess up your wheels)...if you get a ding...get ahold of a good paintless dent repair man (I have one I have used for the past 8 years...he's fabulous!).
Old 1/3/07, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
You're asking for trouble by using parking cones. Just do as I do, park on end spaces and hug the nonparking side. Yes you have to do more walking but it is worth it. Also people that take two spaces **** people off and risk vandalism. I also own a 2002 Yukon and it has no dings because I always park on the end spaces.
Old 1/3/07, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know that saying pis* people off was offensive. Should I have said urinate people off??
Old 1/3/07, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
I have had someone pull right next to me 10 seconds after I parked out in the middle of nowhere. I turned around and got in my car and moved it, guy made a face at me and I looked at him and smiled. Though I don't make a habbit out of that as people can get pretty mad.
This happens to me a lot especially if I'm sitting in the car; I park way out where no one else parks, then someone driving a HUGE Chevy Suburban will make multiple tries to back into the space next to me, doing a poor job of it too, coming within two inches of my driver's side mirror. All this while there are dozens of other spots available with no cars around where they could park their aircraft carrier sized vehicle easily. Happened again this morning. Why? WHY?
Old 1/3/07, 06:50 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Why? WHY?
Why...just to pi$$ you off, of course.

Old 1/3/07, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I park my ride next to an immovable and place her in MY spot in a slant. Whether I back in or pull forward, a tire is about on the line and it gives the appearance of "this person can't park worth a doggone". Plus I take a long stroll to whatever store door. My lady is cool with that.
Old 1/3/07, 11:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Why...just to pi$$ you off, of course.

I'll have to check next time to see if said Suburbans have BC plates

Quick Reply: Parking cones to stop door dings