2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/05, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so now that ive had my stang for just over a week...ive had the chance to detail the and realy get to know the car. After further inspection of the car I noticed there were a few imperfections in the paint. theres one on the bumper where it looks like there are some large pieces of dirt or debris that got painted over, and tonight while doing a quick wipe down i noticed on the lower passenger door on the very edge there was a bubble. So im a little annoyed with both of them. they arent noticable unless you realy study the car, but you know ill see them everytime i wash the car :bang: So do i just live with them, or do i take it back. im worried that i would get a crap job if i had it fixed. does anyone else have similar issues with thiers?
Old 9/27/05, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JustFord0099@September 27, 2005, 9:05 PM
Ok, so now that ive had my stang for just over a week...ive had the chance to detail the and realy get to know the car. After further inspection of the car I noticed there were a few imperfections in the paint. theres one on the bumper where it looks like there are some large pieces of dirt or debris that got painted over, and tonight while doing a quick wipe down i noticed on the lower passenger door on the very edge there was a bubble. So im a little annoyed with both of them. they arent noticable unless you realy study the car, but you know ill see them everytime i wash the car :bang: So do i just live with them, or do i take it back. im worried that i would get a crap job if i had it fixed. does anyone else have similar issues with thiers?
Take it back to the dealer and get them to fix the problems with the paint...that's what the warrenty is for.

I havn't had any problems with the paint on my 05, but I have had paint problems with a car I bought in 1989 (89 Mustang). I noticed things similer to what you mentioned, took the car back and they took care of the problems.
Old 9/27/05, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

I was only able to find one very small imperfection in the paint on my car, and to me it wasn't worth fussing over. I would say your best bet is to just use your judgement on whether or not they should be fixed. If they are as small and insignificant as it sounds, I would say leave it as is. I think you'd run a higher risk of having it redone and it being obvious that it was fixed, or just having new imperfections made in the process. When you consider all of the steps that go into a car's paintjob and the size of the car, a few small imperfections are pretty much par for the course even though we would all like our cars to be perfect.
Old 9/28/05, 04:45 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the door problem too, the dealer repainted it with no problems at all, it looks great now
Old 9/28/05, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by JustFord0099@September 27, 2005, 10:05 PM
I would let it go if I were you. My car isn't perfect either, but there is no way I'm going to let them paint on it. The original paint with a few imperfections beats a re-spray unless it is just something so bad that you can't live with. Just my opinion.
Old 9/28/05, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

I have a minor imperfection in the clearcoat on my trunk lid, and a minor scratch on the front bumper I iddn't notice till I had my car for a week. I figure I'll just let these things slide.
Old 10/1/05, 08:40 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,340 Posts
Originally posted by RandyB@September 28, 2005, 3:54 AM
I would let it go if I were you. My car isn't perfect either, but there is no way I'm going to let them paint on it. The original paint with a few imperfections beats a re-spray unless it is just something so bad that you can't live with. Just my opinion.
DITTO,

Unless it is an Obvious Problem it is Better to let it go. But do not let it stop you from notating you displeasure on your FORD SURVEY.

kc
Old 10/1/05, 11:10 AM
GT Member

I found one very just about invisible paint defect, otherwise I am very pleased with paint.
Old 10/1/05, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

My '05 GT has the best paint job of any of the 11 new Ford's I've owned. However, that's not exactly glowing praise. Every Ford I've owned has had issues with paint. On my Mustang, in certain lighting, I can see thin areas on the hood. Orange peel is minimal, though. In '97 and '99, I bought F-150's that had paint so thin, that they literally had primer showing through in areas. I have accepted the fact that it ain't a Mercedes. From 10 feet away, it looks great!
Old 10/1/05, 06:45 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

i have some overspray in a few areas, a couple clear coat drips on some edges, minor orange peel but i never expected it to be perfect...all of these things i can pretty much fix/deal with.

kris