2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Outrageous markups!

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/04, 08:07 AM
wrb
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time a hot new car comes out the California dealers have crazy markups and people actually buy them. It must be all that great weather you have out there that makes you pay too much for a car ! And then there is gas and insurance.
Old 10/21/04, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Totally illegal (price fixing). The fact that your dealer actually admitted to it? Incredible! Not to mention idiotic.
Old 10/21/04, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3&category=6236

Only at 10gs with no reserve...sounds like a deal to me...lets see what happens in 4 days.
Old 10/21/04, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Alright well yesterday was my 1st time to actucually see an 05 and it was So beautiful, Not a gripe in the world concerning them...except 1 of the 3 dealers they were at! The first dealer said they couldn't go a penny below MSRP, i thought ok well thats alright, at least they aren't marking them up. it was around 29,000 for a fully loaded white GT w/ red leather interior! Gorgeous!

Then i went to All Star Ford located in Denham Springs and they had a Black GT which from what i could tell only had the upgraded rims, shaker 1000, and IUP. and they wanted...are you ready...almost $34,000! when i asked why it was so high he told me plain as day, because it is the first one on the lot!He then said that it was a great deal because there were people on ebay buying just for the right to get an 05 at MSRP(which we all know IS true). Then this dealer proceeded to tell my boyfriend that it had 303 HP, which is not a big diffrence from 300 but why lie about it?! Then we asked if we could test drive and he said nope no test drive. you must pay for it before you can drive it. Needless to say, this dealer was not for me and i immediatly threw their dealer cards away.

I then proceeded to Audoban Ford in Baton Rouge and they had 2 Auto V6s. one yellow and one Torch red(THE COLOR I WANT!!!)! they were pretty plain, no IUP, just basicly auto! and i have preveously talked to them and they told me to go to different dealers and come back to them and they would give me the lowest price.

This dealer did let us test drive the yellow 05 and i let my boyfriend drive it (sinse i don't know exactly what to feel for or anything) and he said it drove great, the steering wheel was very tight and responsive and it felt alot quicker than the past models.
When we were almost done with the test drive we turning around a corner and they was a boy and girl in an older body style (2004?) same colors as the yellow one we were in and they were both freaking out! that was such a great feeling! So as of now Audoban Ford is the best i have found yet and they will be getting my business, unless thye pull something funny on me! My heart was beated like a hammar for the rest of the day, and i couldn't stop smiling!

BTW i'm not sure if i posted in the right place, so if it needs to be moved then i'm sorry for the inconveinance, but thank you!!
Old 10/21/04, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

I seriously doubt all the dealers in that area agreed on a price. That person just didn't want you to go to another dealer. In case you didn't know, salespeople tend to say things that aren't entirely true

In any case, I do not see any big deal about selling over MSRP. If someone is willing to pay it, who cares? Sellers have the right to sell at any price they seem fit, buyers have the right to say no and shop around
Old 10/21/04, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wolfie351@October 21, 2004, 10:42 AM
I seriously doubt all the dealers in that area agreed on a price. That person just didn't want you to go to another dealer. In case you didn't know, salespeople tend to say things that aren't entirely true

In any case, I do not see any big deal about selling over MSRP. If someone is willing to pay it, who cares? Sellers have the right to sell at any price they seem fit, buyers have the right to say no and shop around
Your right. It just does not make any sense to me, why would you buy from the 1st dealer you go to? I guess people who have money just to blow understand that alot better than i do, but for me, its gonna be the BEST price i can find, i may6 want something really bad, but to me spending more just to have it RIGHT NOW is crazy, simply becuase i could not afford to do it. i would much rather wait and order one from a dealer that offers me a better price and have them order my car than have a dealer with my car charge me over MSRP. But that is just my $.02 I'm sure many people that can afford to pay over MSRP don't understand this concept. But hey If you want it bad enough i guess you will be willing to pay anything for it...right?
Old 10/21/04, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ItsNotABulliT@October 21, 2004, 9:42 AM

Only at 10gs with no reserve...sounds like a deal to me...lets see what happens in 4 days.
lol can you believe that? I bet these people think that $10,000 is the actual price not paying attention to the added msrp in the description. Right now that white gt is selling for $39,000 plus shipping. I can't believe these people. Either they don't care if they spend 40 or 50k for a 26 thousand dollar car or they don't know how to read. :scratch:
Old 10/21/04, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ItsNotABulliT@October 21, 2004, 9:42 AM

that's the price OVER MSRP!! up to $15,000

CRAZY! People need to read the auction or the dealers need not post them. They are a WASTE of time. Once the winner of the auction finds out how much he is sipposed to pay...it will never happen!
Old 10/21/04, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

OMG...the listing states...

The amount that you bid is the amount that you will pay in addition to MSRP.

That is sick, Buyer beware...
Old 10/23/04, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a call yesterday from a local dealership letting me know they finally got some 05 Mustangs on the lot and asked if I was still interested. I asked them what they were asking and they said $5000 over MSRP (GT Deluxe, Manual MSRP $24000-asking $29000). I then told them that I ordered a GT Premium with an automatic, side airbags, IUP and anti theft at X-Plan they couldn't believe it.

I just compared what I'm paying for my car $28644 out the door (minimum 6 week wait for the car) to $29000 (before tax and license) that I could buy today.

Back to the GT Deluxe I saw yesterday-
When I got to the lot the sales manager started the car, revved the engine and played the basic stereo and flashed the car's lights.

While he was doing these things he told me "I'm going to sell this car tonight".
Well the car was still on the lot when I past them on the way to workm and was still their when I was on my way home.
Old 10/23/04, 12:21 AM

I reccomend that anyone who wants to get a good deal sould talk to someone in the fleet department they can typically get you a better deal. I have talked to the lead in the fleet depart. at my local ford and he is getting me a GT, ordered to my specs for 150 over invoice.
Old 10/23/04, 01:21 AM
V6 Member

"Last but not least, he said that their dealership was offering them for lower than anyone in northern Cal, as another dealer had a 9K markup!"

I'm also in Norcal and this is a flat lie There's a 1,250 markup in Santa Rosa, and Petaluma's getting a GT tomorrow with likely the same markup. After bullpooing about mustangs for about an hour, the dealer told me he'd give me MSRP Now I need to drive one and order, hehe
Old 10/23/04, 09:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The first dealer I went to called me twice yesterday and once the day before. "We have the cars in if you want to see them". Meanwhile, I drove an hour and 15 min for them to tell me in person the car will be $3,000 over sticker. I told them to stick it and left.

I called them back last night. It was pur pleasure to tell them my car was sitting quietly in my garage and that I had cut a deal with a RESPECTABLE dealership for MSRP. The woman's voice fell faint when I told her. She did wish me good luck.

D AMN it felt good!!
Old 10/23/04, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Over the last few months (before the Mustangs even started production) almost every dealer promised to honor X-Plan (Inventory or Factory order).
Now that the cars are hitting the showrooms several dealers said they were marking up the price from $2500 to $10000 over MSRP on inventory cars and said they wouldn't honor X-Plan even on Factory orders.

As I posted before when I went to the dealer on Thursday to see what they had to offer and how bad they were gouging the buyers (not the dealer I order from) I had a few salespeople come up to me, and I told them I wanted to look at the Mustangs they had, but I ordered one the night before...at X-Plan.

The salespeople (including the sales manager) was shocked when I told them what my loaded GT Premium was costing in comparison to a GT Deluxe with a stock interior with cloth seats and the standard stereo.

I think that once I take delivery of the car in a few weeks I'll drive to that dealership and show them the paperwork on what I paid for the car.

I wonder how many of the Mustangs they have on the lot today will still be there when I get mine.
Old 10/23/04, 11:41 AM

On the NorCal price markups, fortunately I dont think you will be getting a Free GT. I live in NorCal and have been made offers from salesman for a GT from MSRP (on a stock order, in any day now) and 700$ over invoice (ordered). PM me if you want the dealership names.

The salesman is just lying.
Old 10/23/04, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by moonbeachx@October 23, 2004, 1:44 PM
On the NorCal price markups, fortunately I dont think you will be getting a Free GT. I live in NorCal and have been made offers from salesman for a GT from MSRP (on a stock order, in any day now) and 700$ over invoice (ordered). PM me if you want the dealership names.

The salesman is just lying.
Why not post the information on the sticky at the top? :scratch:
Old 10/24/04, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I posted hear on Friday night that a dealership in my area had a 2005 Mustang GT Deluxe with no options that I could see, and they marked the car up $5000 over MSRP ($29000).
I got a call from them again today (they have called me four or five times) telling me they had the Mustangs in if I was still interested.
I told them that I already ordered one from another dealer and then asked them if they sold the yellow GT I saw the other day and they told me the car was sold...at their asking price.
Old 10/25/04, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I went to a couple a dealerships in the L.A. area and markups ranged from $3000-$5000. INSANE! Does anyone know of a dealer in my area that is worthy of my business?
Old 10/25/04, 03:40 AM
GT Member

I stoppeed by a dealer in Austin just to look at the cars and see the colors and the dealerr even showed me the markup other dealers are putting on cars ranging from 2-5 thousand