2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ordering now or test drive first? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/04, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I went to the dealership that I've bought my last 3 vehicles from in late August to order my Mustang GT, typical response (don't know pricing, don't know options, don't know delivery dates, etc. etc.) so I pulled out my laptop with pricing (thanks to this site), option codes (thanks to this site) and banged out the list with one of their order people. In the meantime, the sales kid goes to get the Sales Mgr. to discuss pricing for a pre-order.

He comes back with MSRP and $2K deposit. :bang: God I hate dealing with people like that. I politely told them where they can stick their deposit and left. A friend of mine has been working with another dealership and has negotiated $350 over invoice, to which the dealer extended me the same offer. Here's the price and options:

2005 Mustang GT Deluxe - T82 (130A)
Interior Upgrade Package - 18G
Anti-Theft System - 14A
Shaker 500 - 912
17" Painted Cast Aluminum Wheels - 64F
Performance White Clearcoat - HP

Price - $24,746.00 + TTL & Fees

Out the door price - $27,293.43

Well, that price isn't too bad, it's nearing $30K but what did I expect right? Anyway, so now I've got a dilemma.

1. My mother-in-law is living with my wife and I for "a few months" (it's been 4 so far) and there is no sign of that living arrangement changing. So while she is here, she's been kind enough to take my space in the garage. Mustang's not going to sit outside, so that means she has to park outside and I have to move her car every day so I can get out and go to work. (HOA says no cars parked in the street overnight).

2. The ordered car will be built in Michigan in the winter and then transported here, so there is the potential of it seeing snow and God forbid, even being QC'd in the snow. Car hauler could spray snow and salt and grime on it during transport as well.

3. I've never sat in or driven one of these cars. The previous generation Mustang was the most uncomfortable car in the world, I don't want to spend almost $30K on a car that is uncomfortable for me. (I realize they are different cars, but you get my point).

So should I wait to sit in the car, then order it so that it arrives hopefully sometime after the living situation is rectified, leaving me a place to park the car? Or should I order it now, and just deal with moving the mother-in-law's car every day so I can have the immediate (well if you consider 8-12 weeks immediate) satisfaction of finally having the car? Or should I just continue to torture myself and look at everyone's pictures of their new Mustang's, and wait until I find one sitting on a lot somewhere that may have been test driven and beaten by every sales guy on the lot?

Sean
Old 10/16/04, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I can only tell you, Sean, that I sat in one today (see my posts on "Satin Silver GT in VA").

I was totally impressed by fit and finish, detail, and COMFORT. This car is nice.

With that said, I get the impression you are a "show me" kinda guy. If that is the case, and it were me, I would sit in one first. You will not have to wait much longer; they'll be easy to find soon.

But I believe you will VERY MUCH like this car. This is not the previous Mustang. This is not ANY previous Mustang. This model will set the standard, in my humble opinion.

All previous Mustangs have and deserve their place in the marque's history. This new model opens a whole new chapter in the pony car story.
Old 10/16/04, 08:25 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Paris, I haven't had the pleasure to actually see one yet either, and I was of the same thought, that I would want to test drive one first. But the catch that got me to order mine was this:

You are NOT obligated in any way, shape or form to take delivery when it arrives.

They'll give you your deposit back (if they even took one) and nobody is harmed by this. They'll have no problem selling that car.

That's what made me pull the trigger.....

As far as the mother-in-law deal....well I wouldn't let that stop me.
Old 10/16/04, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
You're right Tony. Vary valid point.

You know, if POMOCO calls me back and tell me they'll honor X-plan, I may have to pull the trigger too! Lock in the current pricing level too doing that, If I recall correctly.

Hey! Over the 200 post mark!
Old 10/16/04, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I could order one, see if we have the money by the time it comes in, and i f we don't, i don't have to pay for it?
Old 10/16/04, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I want to drive one first, look at the different colors in person, and go from there.

something like trying on a piece of clothing before you purchase!

As far as the mother- in- law thingy goes, GOOD LUCK!
Old 10/16/04, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Merlot@October 16, 2004, 8:34 PM
As far as the mother- in- law thingy goes, GOOD LUCK!
Methinks you might be making fun of me. :nono:

Sean
Old 10/16/04, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Test drive first. Once you order one of these things the weight is a monkey on your back. However, like the post above says you can always preorder and cancel. Wow, I wasn't much help was I?
Old 10/17/04, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Sean.. do happen to live in the Lynbrook, Oceanside area?=p

we got that same stupid no parking between 3-5am

they say it stops crime..but theres crime and its been on the books since 1910 so they dont know and its annoying...it was originally made so the horses wouldnt hit into the cars in the dark. LOL im serious and people are too lazy to vote it off.
Old 10/17/04, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

I'd never buy a car I haven't driven.

Wait to drive it, and order it. I'm doing the same...
Old 10/17/04, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Drive it first then after you are impressed (if?) then buy it. As for the in-law.....well, good luck and god be with you in tacklin that situation! You're on your own bro!