2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ordering a new 06 Mustang GT on X-Plan!

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/05, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, All--

Just joined the site, but I've been reading posts on here since I ran across it a couple of weeks ago. Please excuse the lengthy post . . .

Here's my story . . .

I currently have 5 vehicles:

1.) '97 Mark VIII (daily driver)
2.) '96 T-Bird LX "Sport" (until I bought the '97 Mark VIII, it was my daily driver)
3.) '89 Mustang LX "Sport" 5.0 Coupe (ordered this new in October of '88, took delivery on December 6, 1988; ex-wife got it in the divorce, but I got it back in January of 2000--long story, but at least I got it back!)
4.) '64 Fairlane 500 2-dr Sedan (My "project car"; original 289/C-4 car with manual steering & brakes)
5.) '94 Lincoln Mark VIII that I bought off of that famous auction site, to use as a "parts car" for the Fairlane

I had been somewhat "enamored" with the 2005 Mustangs since about a year ago when I first started seeing pictures of them, but I had "plans" for my Fairlane that would make a "mere Mustang" pale by comparison.

I got a chance to drive a couple GT's back near the end of February, and while I liked them, I felt that the price of them were somewhat out of my range, so I started getting SERIOUS about the Fairlane!

I started figuring up how much money I had sunk into the Fairlane, and how little work I had done on it since I got it in 2001, and I realized that I would NEVER put the work into it that would make it into the car I had envisioned, so I made a decision to just sell ALL my cars (and the parts I had gathered for them!) and just buy a NEW 2005 Mustang GT!! I plan to pay CASH for it when it arrives!!

I started trying to order one near the end of April, and found that Ford was no longer taking orders for 2005 models, so I resigned myself to the fact that if I wanted one of these cars equipped the way *I* wanted it, I would have to order a 2006.

I started researching the 2005 'Stangs, to find out if there was anybody out there having any problems with them. To my surprise, there were very few problems reported, and those that did had fixes for those issues.

I ran across this site, and researched some more, learning about what sort of deals could be had when ordering them, and of course the "X-Plan"!

Well, last Saturday, I talked to the salesperson at the dealership where I test drove that GT in February, and using the 2006 Mustang Ordering guide I got from here, I sent her a complete list of options I wanted to order on a 2006, along with the price I was willing to pay; she told me she would have to get with her boss to see if they would be able to work out a deal with me, and would get back to me on Monday.

I didn't hear from her on Monday, but on Tuesday she called me up and told me that her boss said they wouldn't order a car for less than MSRP; of course, I told her that there was no way I was going to be paying MSRP For ANYTHING, and that I had 18 other dealerships in the area that I could contact!!

I started calling dealers, and four more that I talked to said they wouldn't budge from MSRP on an order. I FINALLY talked to an affiliate dealer of the original one I had talked to, but located in another town, and they agreed to take the "X-Plan" on an order.

Now, all I had to do was somehow find a way to get an "X-Plan" Sponsor and PIN; guess what--the answer was here! Actually, the answer was pointing to another forum site, where I was able to request and obtain a "Friends and Neighbors" Sponsorship from one of the generous souls over there!!

Yesterday, I received my "X-Plan" PIN, and called the dealer immediately to give that to him!

Next up--on Monday (June 20th), I will be driving up to where that dealership is located (about an hour-and-a-half away), and ordering my new 2006 Mustang GT, signing all the paperwork and giving them my deposit and get the whole process started!!

Now for the reason I've created this post:

I figure that I am behind quite a few other people who either ordered 2005's that got bumped, or 2006's already, so I believe that when they start building them (I think someone said they start July 31st), it's very likely that it will take a month or so before they even GET to my order!

If the build process at that time takes the standard 6-10 weeks, that puts delivery of the Mustang at sometime in the middle of October to the middle of November.

My question is this:

What are your opinions (or guesses!) as to how accurate my estimated timeframe is?

Am I being realistic (should be about right)? Conservative (should take LESS time than what I think)? Am I dreaming (might take quite a bit MORE time than I've figured)?

Also, I've seen references to "Price Protection"; I am basing how much money I raise by the sale of my existing cars, and how much money I save between now and then on the 2005 prices, and wondered if anybody here might happen to know whether this vehicle might be eligible for "price protection" (as we won't know actual pricing until some time in September, if I have my facts straight)?

Lastly, I want to thank all the folks who have posted about their deals, experiences, scheduling, problems, and all the other valuable information that has led me to getting an order made for my new Mustang!!
Old 6/17/05, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

If you ordered X-plan, the price protection is subject to final invoice. The whole time I had correspondance and faxes from the dealer they showed one price, once the actual vehicle came in, the invoice price for X-plan was slightly higher ($250), that was my new price, period. The protection is they can't charge you more than the X-plan FINAL INVOICE pricing.
As far as the time frame, you need to make sure that your dealer is big enough in mustang sales, otherwise you could be waitin anywhere between 4-6 months for a car. I ordered from a dealer that has the highest selling ratings for mustangs, so mine was ordered April 11th, and it was delivered June 11th. Other dealers that I called early March, didn't even have enough allocations left to order any more 2005s.
Lastly, I got a goofball for sales person, my original salesperson quit the day the car got serialized, I was freaking out. The person I dealt with was a total idiot, it seemed as if he spent more time than recommended in a tanning bed, his skin and brain were fried.
Info you need: Get your Original Vehicle Order Paperwork, prices with all options listed, have then submit it right there and then, with you in the dealer (I went March 28th, they didn't submit the order until April 9th!), and 2-3 days later they need to fax you a copy of the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). If you want to rely on yourself to find status on your vehicle, ask for:
Dealer Code (letter + 5 digit code)
Order number

You can find the 800 number in other forums to keep track of the status (from serialized to production to delivery).

Good luck!
Old 6/17/05, 12:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Perry, in regards to price protection, Rony is a little wrong. When you get the first DORA with the "official" 2006 prices on it, this is the price you will be protected with. On a Vert GT, I delivered back in April, the car was ordered in Saptember 04, and when the car came in, the price had gone up some $600. The customer DIDN'T PAY THE INCREASE. If the dealer is good, they would file for price protection. All they have to have is the original DORA with the first price. Right now, with the real prices not out as of yet, it's a bit difficult to figure it out, but I have never charged anyone the increase from when the car was ordered to when it came in, This is why there is price protection.

Now in regards to your order. The 2006 models do not start production till August 8th, so figure from that date. It really all depends on how many orders the dealership you ordered from has in the order banks in head of you. If you have the first 2006, you should get it in September, maybe early October. If there are several customers in front of you, you may not be seeing the car till November or so. You may want to ask the manager there how many customers ordered GT's in front of you. This way, at least you know where you are standing. Good luck with your new order. Now the waiting game begins.
Old 6/17/05, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

I closed the deal with the dealer 2 days ago, that's what the sales person fed me, that's what the sales manager fed me as well. I thought I was protected with the DORA pricing, and that's not the case, it's final invoice (what I was told).