2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

An Open Letter to SVT

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/05, 03:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted to let you know that I'm very happy SVT is not going away as had been the rumor of late. I hope that the next Cobra is as good as where you left off in 2004. My opinion is that SVT has 10 years of loyal followers and 100,000+ cars sold. SVT is the reason Dodge now has SRT and even Saturn has their RedLine division. You guys started it all and hopefully will raise the bar to another level with the revamp of SVT going forward. This is all one mans opinion but Cobra should be SVT's and noone elses. Rumors abound about Shelby versions kind of vex me. Reason being that Shelby, the man, though an amazing accomplished person, has saturated his name from everything from Chili to Dodge Omnis!
The next generation of SVT owners know SVT already. They saw the 1993 Cobra and Lightning back then in their teens and now are at the age where they can step up and buy your new offerings. They have followed the SVT brand for over a decade and know that these vehicles are a quantum leap forward in every aspect of the mainstream Ford product line. I know Shelby is a valuable asset to have inside Ford but the fact is that through listening to my age group and even older, they have little care for the Shelby name. Yes they all love the 1965 GT350 and his racing heritage, but they also know the history of his Dodge years and the lawsuit in 1984 over the GT350 Anniversary model. They know about the fights over Kit Car companies supposedly "copying" his cobra which in fact is an AC Bristol. They know that he has a big part in the Eleanor spin off continuation cars. Now 2005 Mustangs already have "Shelby" Stripes being added as we speak. MustangFX has tribute editions lined up. My point is that his name is everywhere. We didn't need any other name on the Cobra the last 10 years to make it sell. Firstly it was a Cobra, secondly it was SVT!
It would however, again my opinion, be okay to have a Mustang GT package with his "Stickers and Stripes" edition, a GT350 so to speak with a little bump in H.P.(350) for the names sake. But honestly that is as far as I would go. Buyers want nothing else added to the formula you have concocted over the last decade. For example 2004, the last Fox platform Cobra, it had IRS, 6 Speed, Supercharger, upgraded but subtle exterior and interior enhancements...thats it, that worked! No other badge but SVT and no other emblem but a coiled snake. This is a new era in Mustang design, performance and strategy. SVT is the name we all know by now. SVT is the BRAND. SVT Is Cobra and Cobra is SVT.

Sincerely,
SVT FAN
Old 3/9/05, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This kind of reminds me of a kid back in 3rd grade. He was very upset and wrote a letter to T.V. executives because of a rumor that The Dukes of Hazard was being canceled. Well, it wasn't canceled after all. I guess it was all because of that one letter those execs received.
Old 3/9/05, 04:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Altoid+March 9, 2005, 4:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Altoid @ March 9, 2005, 4:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Topnotch@March 9, 2005, 4:48 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I'm very happy SVT is not going away as had been the rumor of late.
Who really believed this? It didn’t even cross my mind as being more then an internet rumor.
[/b][/quote]

Oh I don't know, maybe it was the many people
that called SVT after Coletti left.
Maybe the many people that were concerned
enough that Autoweek had to do an article,
maybe the push back in the Lightning program
scared a few.

I also did say "as had been the rumor of late".
Old 3/9/05, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Topnotch@March 9, 2005, 4:48 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I'm very happy SVT is not going away as had been the rumor of late. I hope that the next Cobra is as good as where you left off in 2004. My opinion is that SVT has 10 years of loyal followers and 100,000+ cars sold. SVT is the reason Dodge now has SRT and even Saturn has their RedLine division. You guys started it all and hopefully will raise the bar to another level with the revamp of SVT going forward. This is all one mans opinion but Cobra should be SVT's and noone elses. Rumors abound about Shelby versions kind of vex me. Reason being that Shelby, the man, though an amazing accomplished person, has saturated his name from everything from Chili to Dodge Omnis!
The next generation of SVT owners know SVT already. They saw the 1993 Cobra and Lightning back then in their teens and now are at the age where they can step up and buy your new offerings. They have followed the SVT brand for over a decade and know that these vehicles are a quantum leap forward in every aspect of the mainstream Ford product line. I know Shelby is a valuable asset to have inside Ford but the fact is that through listening to my age group and even older, they have little care for the Shelby name. Yes they all love the 1965 GT350 and his racing heritage, but they also know the history of his Dodge years and the lawsuit in 1984 over the GT350 Anniversary model. They know about the fights over Kit Car companies supposedly "copying" his cobra which in fact is an AC Bristol. They know that he has a big part in the Eleanor spin off continuation cars. Now 2005 Mustangs already have "Shelby" Stripes being added as we speak. MustangFX has tribute editions lined up. My point is that his name is everywhere. We didn't need any other name on the Cobra the last 10 years to make it sell. Firstly it was a Cobra, secondly it was SVT!
It would however, again my opinion, be okay to have a Mustang GT package with his "Stickers and Stripes" edition, a GT350 so to speak with a little bump in H.P.(350) for the names sake. But honestly that is as far as I would go. Buyers want nothing else added to the formula you have concocted over the last decade. For example 2004, the last Fox platform Cobra, it had IRS, 6 Speed, Supercharger, upgraded but subtle exterior and interior enhancements...thats it, that worked! No other badge but SVT and no other emblem but a coiled snake. This is a new era in Mustang design, performance and strategy. SVT is the name we all know by now. SVT is the BRAND. SVT Is Cobra and Cobra is SVT.

Sincerely,
SVT FAN
Thank you, this is what I've been saying for a while.
Old 3/9/05, 04:13 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Thanks Topnotch. Such letter could not have been narrated any better.

In addition, I hope SVT recognizes its loyal following and compels itself to keep prices affordable.
Old 3/9/05, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

anaki: Thanks for quoting the entire first post. I was unable to read it all the way at the top.
[/quote]

WOW, what wit! I could have been repliing to someone else. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Maybe you should take away my quote privileges.
Old 9/30/05, 11:48 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Sean..thank you. You said it perfectly. I couldn't agree with you more!
Old 9/30/05, 01:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Burningmans a little slow....

He still thinks its March 11th 2005
Old 9/30/05, 08:42 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Do you think burningman's will forget your endorsement?

Old 9/30/05, 08:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I felt left out
Old 9/30/05, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by anaki@March 9, 2005, 5:43 PM
anaki: Thanks for quoting the entire first post. I was unable to read it all the way at the top.

WOW, what wit! I could have been repliing to someone else. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Maybe you should take away my quote privileges.
Yeah really. It takes all of 0.0023 calories for my finger to scroll down a couple more inches.

So what the heck is March 11th besides my birthday?
Old 9/30/05, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

SVT needs to try a little bit harder. The new Z06 is gonna rock the cobra. heck it's even faster than a GT for half the price.