2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

An Ode to the Mustang Sound

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/08, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Ode to the Mustang Sound

(this is something I wrote last night, just in appreciation for one of the few aesthetic pleasures my Mustang brings me, feel free to share your own)

12:17am, late night on an old main street, after pulling out of the driveway of my fiance's house, I stop motion at a red light. Getting comfortable in my seat, I drop the windows all the way down to let in a bit of breeze from the Miami evening as I prepare for the 17 mile drive home. Around me, oddly not a car in sight. Ahead of me, a set of train tracks, a dip in the road, and an underpass...all initiating the 2 mile trek to the highway before I plunge onto the on-ramp.

Its been a while... no recent street tests from coffee-can riddled 4-cylinder tinboxes, no pedal examinations at 80mph from competing drivers on their way down 826, no pulling up the sleeves on my GT's almost bald rubber arms and flexing my muscle down a 1/4 mile track. Its been a while since I've let it rip, and from the sounds of the idle, she's wondering why. Less thought, vision focuses on a cold metal street lamp yards above me, staring down my windshield with red. The grin of green opens its eyes, my legs tremble out of their sockets and dance with the clutch and gas as my hands join in on a thrust into first. This is where it begins....

Hundreds of horses gallop out of their stables and run through my manifolds. Donating tread to the pavement, the roaring from the engine exits backwards out of a pair of Flowmaster axlebacks, and movement snaps in violently. I let it go, roaring down the street across the tracks and under the underpass to lean my ear to the opening of the window and listen to the echo....bliss. As I yield to an upcoming red light, a downshift into 2nd lets the engine grind itself down the speedometer, warranting attractive burps and gurgles from the opened H-pipe. Another dash through automotive ecstacy, and the on-ramp pulls itself into sight. This is where it continues...

There are few things in this world that can rival the sound of a GT engine. From the classic to the new, the 5.0 or the 4.6, a Mustang GT engine blended with a dual exhaust opened up is one of the most beautiful sounds in automotive existence. This is not a bragging story, or some feeble attempt to resurrect my spoken word past...this is an ode to the beauty of one of Ford’s most nourished creations, the exhaust note of a Mustang GT. There are many great V8s, even fewer that hold onto that old muscle sound reminiscent of the beginning of American muscle, but none have the signature of the V8s that pour out of Mustang throats. So when you finish reading this, and you enter the cockpit of your horse, fire up the engine and take a second… pull up to a light, line up at the track, downshift on the highway, dump your clutch and let your voice be heard.
Old 9/8/08, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
so true brother!!
Old 9/8/08, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Nicely written. I got the shivers reading it.
Old 9/8/08, 03:17 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

exactly brother, you hit it right on
Old 9/8/08, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

TALK BOY!!! Man... Whoo... I'm about jump in mine and rip it up!

All kidding aside. Man you are so right. I don't give a rats a** WHERE I am, that sweet Mustang V8 sound always makes my turn my head... I have to see it. And when I get on mine, it makes it even sweeter. Not only does put a smile on my face but I see folk in other cars give me a thumbs up and a smile as well.

Who can be uptight at such wonderful music to the ears? Well said man.
Old 9/8/08, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can tell you have fully assimilated to the mustang world when you use the gas peddle instead of the horn, when you say high with a blip of the throttle and bye with the same.
Old 9/8/08, 10:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
That was really great to read! Nicely done. Although this bit:

"Hundreds of horses gallop out of their stables and run through my manifolds."

I blushed a little reading that bit... Almost trashy novel-like...

But it inspired a bit of my own prose... Based on today, as a matter of fact. D'ya mind if I leave it here?

---
"There She Is"

A full day and then some of tedious, boring, monotonous work... more than enough hours, thanks. I'm tired. I'm hungry. I'm rather put out... and feeling I've not gotten a terrible lot done. I just want to go home.

I say my farewells to the evening shift, and head out the door... a fair night, with far off rumblings of thunderclouds in the distance. I walk in a non-straight line through the parking lot, I don't know why I did it... but I'd parked in such a way I suppose it made sense to go a little long around the back of the line...

As I round the end of a truck... she comes into view. The Awesome. I approach from the right side, about 3 slots away. Her amazing body lines, encased in white, glow in the florescent lights of the parking lot. Her name is pinned on her tail in blue on white lettering: AWESME. One day, maybe Texas will let her have it with all seven letters but it is the best I can do for now. She understands, I think.

An immediate wave of giddy contentment flows through me as I realize I am about to embark on my journey home in this, my wondrous steed, my early birthday present to myself. And I feel like a kid again, an idiotic, but wholly satisfying grin erupting from my face as I approach her.

I open the door... slide into the freshly cleaned and and Armor All'd seat... And I am at once at home. I remark to myself "this is silly. It's just a car!", but I know I'm lying to myself. It's not just a car. It's The Awesome.

I start her up, roll the windows down, and turn on the lights. The blue aura of the gauge lighting shines through the night. I let her idle just a bit, getting the oil circulating... then I blip the throttle. I can't help it. She sounds so very good when she's cold. The slightly rich mixture escaping the chambers into the exhaust and detonating in the pipes, resulting in a wonderful sounding set of burbling pops... so very retro. I know it's not the best idea to do... but it's so good to listen to.

Again, I can't help myself as I roll towards the exit... I push in the clutch and I mash the throttle, illiciting a growl of what can be had, should I want or need it. Finally rolling up to the exit to the feeder lane, I carefully look about... The mortification I would feel should I bend up another's car, and now worse, my Awesome... well, precautions are simply best.

But the feeder is clear. Joy!

I blip the throttle to bring the revs up a little, then let out the clutch, swinging the car into the feeder... and then I let The Awesome go to work. 1st gear is done in a flash, and I have to shut down... silly laws about speeding override my need to be naughty. I can blame my mother for instilling that in me. But it isn't long before the feeder allows us to merge onto the freeway main lanes and towards home.

Dropped into 3rd, Awesome bolts straight to 60 in a hurry. There she stays, on the cruise. She has an effortless feel to her, as if she says "I know I can do a LOT of stuff... but I'm ok with the cruising too." An amazing blend of performance and comfort. Have there been many like her? Not that I've owned... and I've owned a few.

A few more lights and we're home... I park Awesome in her regular spot, up against the side of the carport, as protective as I can be and not seem paranoid. I back her in, as we like to just go when it's time to go. I turn her wheels to prevent as much as possible someone thinking they can just get her out straight. Trick I was taught a while back. Roll up the windows, turn off the engine, set park brake... and then... I get out.

I feel a little dejected. The trip home is not nearly long enough. But it'll have to do.

I gaze back at The Awesome... and grin some more. Yes, hopefully, she'll be there in the morning. And we can have another jaunt on the roads to work! But for tonight, it's time to sleep well, my dear, and dream sweet dreams of $1.50/gal 93 octane.

See you tomorrow... g'night!

Last edited by houtex; 9/8/08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 9/9/08, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
You can tell you have fully assimilated to the mustang world when you use the gas peddle instead of the horn, when you say high with a blip of the throttle and bye with the same.

LOL too true! I cant remember when was the last time I laid on my horn, but I lost count of how many times I've blipped my throttle to tell someone off
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Old 9/9/08, 08:39 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that was a great story!
Old 9/9/08, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Rem that was fantastic.
Old 9/9/08, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
That was really great to read! Nicely done. Although this bit:

"Hundreds of horses gallop out of their stables and run through my manifolds."

I blushed a little reading that bit... Almost trashy novel-like...

But it inspired a bit of my own prose... Based on today, as a matter of fact. D'ya mind if I leave it here?

---
"There She Is"

A full day and then some of tedious, boring, monotonous work... more than enough hours, thanks. I'm tired. I'm hungry. I'm rather put out... and feeling I've not gotten a terrible lot done. I just want to go home.

I say my farewells to the evening shift, and head out the door... a fair night, with far off rumblings of thunderclouds in the distance. I walk in a non-straight line through the parking lot, I don't know why I did it... but I'd parked in such a way I suppose it made sense to go a little long around the back of the line...

As I round the end of a truck... she comes into view. The Awesome. I approach from the right side, about 3 slots away. Her amazing body lines, encased in white, glow in the florescent lights of the parking lot. Her name is pinned on her tail in blue on white lettering: AWESME. One day, maybe Texas will let her have it with all seven letters but it is the best I can do for now. She understands, I think.

An immediate wave of giddy contentment flows through me as I realize I am about to embark on my journey home in this, my wondrous steed, my early birthday present to myself. And I feel like a kid again, an idiotic, but wholly satisfying grin erupting from my face as I approach her.

I open the door... slide into the freshly cleaned and and Armor All'd seat... And I am at once at home. I remark to myself "this is silly. It's just a car!", but I know I'm lying to myself. It's not just a car. It's The Awesome.

I start her up, roll the windows down, and turn on the lights. The blue aura of the gauge lighting shines through the night. I let her idle just a bit, getting the oil circulating... then I blip the throttle. I can't help it. She sounds so very good when she's cold. The slightly rich mixture escaping the chambers into the exhaust and detonating in the pipes, resulting in a wonderful sounding set of burbling pops... so very retro. I know it's not the best idea to do... but it's so good to listen to.

Again, I can't help myself as I roll towards the exit... I push in the clutch and I mash the throttle, illiciting a growl of what can be had, should I want or need it. Finally rolling up to the exit to the feeder lane, I carefully look about... The mortification I would feel should I bend up another's car, and now worse, my Awesome... well, precautions are simply best.

But the feeder is clear. Joy!

I blip the throttle to bring the revs up a little, then let out the clutch, swinging the car into the feeder... and then I let The Awesome go to work. 1st gear is done in a flash, and I have to shut down... silly laws about speeding override my need to be naughty. I can blame my mother for instilling that in me. But it isn't long before the feeder allows us to merge onto the freeway main lanes and towards home.

Dropped into 3rd, Awesome bolts straight to 60 in a hurry. There she stays, on the cruise. She has an effortless feel to her, as if she says "I know I can do a LOT of stuff... but I'm ok with the cruising too." An amazing blend of performance and comfort. Have there been many like her? Not that I've owned... and I've owned a few.

A few more lights and we're home... I park Awesome in her regular spot, up against the side of the carport, as protective as I can be and not seem paranoid. I back her in, as we like to just go when it's time to go. I turn her wheels to prevent as much as possible someone thinking they can just get her out straight. Trick I was taught a while back. Roll up the windows, turn off the engine, set park brake... and then... I get out.

I feel a little dejected. The trip home is not nearly long enough. But it'll have to do.

I gaze back at The Awesome... and grin some more. Yes, hopefully, she'll be there in the morning. And we can have another jaunt on the roads to work! But for tonight, it's time to sleep well, my dear, and dream sweet dreams of $1.50/gal 93 octane.

See you tomorrow... g'night!
Very nice. That's how I feel about "Misty", please believe that.
Old 9/10/08, 06:59 PM

awesome