2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Nov. Motor Trend 05 Data

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/04, 03:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll scan it the moment I get it.

Should be in this week (possibly tomorrow)
If anyone else has the issue scanned at a decent quality (legible)
post here, and I'll host it.
Old 9/26/04, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info racerx, so it sounds like the 05 GT may be a little faster than the mach B)
Old 9/26/04, 03:40 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Nice Numbers!!
Old 9/26/04, 03:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by racerx@September 26, 2004, 3:21 PM
Please somebody slap me and say - "be a man darn it and learn to drive a stick!"

I'll Do it
Old 9/26/04, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I wanna see the article. Wonder why that guy didn't post it?
Old 9/26/04, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by racerx@September 26, 2004, 3:21 PM
Please somebody slap me and say - "be a man darn it and learn to drive a stick!"
Ask and ye shall receive!!!

...but seriously...it's all up to you. I like to pick my own shift points and be able to run up the revs...if you haven't done that then you won't miss it...but if you DO learn to drive stick and like it...you'll be kicking yourself in the ding ding because you didn't get a stick!!

:drive:
Old 9/26/04, 04:02 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I wonder what the 5-speed manual will do in the quarter? It looks like it will smoke in the 0-60. I think it will all depend on whether they need to hit 4th gear before the 1/4 mile marker.

Also, would it be fair to compare the MT Mach 1 times and the 05 GT times? If so, the 05 Auto is as fast as the Mach 1
Old 9/26/04, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

Mach 1 04
auto: 13.88 @ 101.91mph
5spd: 13.2 @ 106.7

GT 05
auto: 13.88 @ 99mph
5spd: ?????

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...ach1/index.html

If this info is correct . . . means that the GT is able to hook better than the mach 1, as expect thanks to its better suspension and weight distribution. In terms of trapspeed . . . the GT seems to be somewhat slower than the mach 1. But who knows may be was a green car (low miles) which most likely be faster once is broken in.

Its kind of weird that this guy at BON didn't post any other data or comments about the GT. Also nobody else have reported having or seeing this MT's Nov. issue.
Old 9/26/04, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've just envisioned something........ how 'bout an 05 GT v. 04Mach 1 v. 04GT v. 01 Bullitt v. 01 Cobra comparo, heck, why not even throw in an 04GTO and 02 Camaro SS while we're at it to see how close the 05GT stacks up to these cars since they run about the same performance numbers.
Old 9/26/04, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dang...I was out this afternoon...thought about cruising by Barnes & Noble to look for the new issues but didn't do it and now I get home and see this news!!! Argh!

:bang:

Well if no one can come up with a scan by noon tomorrow I'll make a run out and see if it has arrived at B&N here in VA. I've got a scanner should be able to do a decent job.
Old 9/26/04, 04:27 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by willy_sc5.0@September 26, 2004, 6:12 PM
Mach 1 04
auto: 13.88 @ 101.91mph
5spd: 13.2 @ 106.7

GT 05
auto: 13.88 @ 99mph
5spd: ?????

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...ach1/index.html

Its kind of weird that this guy at BON didn't post any other data or comments about the GT. Also nobody else have reported having or seeing this MT's Nov. issue.
*****, the 05 GT was "apparently" said to do 13.8sec in the 1/4 not 13.88sec. I'm sure it was just a typo.

However, with a higher trap, shouldn't the Mach 1 auto be faster?
Old 9/26/04, 04:38 PM
Banned

holy god...i think we have a hot one on our hands kiddos...that is amazing news!
Old 9/26/04, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

I just started a subsription...but I am going down to Oswald's right now to get an MT (ummm, the 'corner store' )

Edit: Argh, not there yet...hopefully it'll be in my mailbox tomorrow
Old 9/26/04, 05:09 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"They also expected the manual to run a 4.8-4.9 to 60."

Ford is definitely sand bagging (under rating) the GT's "300HP" More like 310-320hp
Old 9/26/04, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

at 99mph, that's some nice traction
Can't wait to see the stick E.T. and trap speed
Old 9/26/04, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND!

I'll type it all up in the next post! Being I don't have a scanner!
Old 9/26/04, 05:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Type fast StevenJ...like a Bullitt!!!

Where did you pick it up???
Old 9/26/04, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StevenJ@September 26, 2004, 5:20 PM
I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND! I GOT THE NEW MOTORTREND!

I'll type it all up in the next post! Being I don't have a scanner!
Well you need to buy one now. It's par for the course. :scratch: Just kidding. You should really get one though, they are useful. That, or a digital camera.
Old 9/26/04, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Man, I hope mail comes tomorrow! It should, since the hurricane will be long gone, but if it comes, I'll be very distracted at work.
Old 9/26/04, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

'05
Hot Drives

We've been out driving and testing next year's newest in.
Here's the scoop on 14 new cars, trucks, and sport/utilities you absolutely must know about.

Ford Mustang GT

Old Glory: America's favorit pponycar ears back its stripes

by Frank Markus

Only in America could an econobox in fancy dress named for a wild horse become the must-have machine of an entire generation. Where else could a musclecar's sales rise as its powertrain and chassis were emasculated (mid-1970's)? And in what other land could a manufacture lie about a car's engine size in bright chrome numerals for 14 years and even fudge power output a couple times along the way without sales tanking?

Nevertheless, two and a half decades, two Corvettes, and five presidents later, Ford has finally done the honorable thing and foaled a bran-new pony. It showed it off, talked about it, and at last tossed us the keys for a chaperoned ride across Michigan to Gingerman Raceway. But mere subjective impressions gleaned on a carefully orchestrated launch seemed like a bun without the beef, so we managed to lasso a stray 'Stang and hook it to our gear for an exclusive first test.

Is this Mustang worthy of the loyalty the brand has always enjoyed?

A quantum improvement is noticeable from 10 feet away, and it's not just the fab retro/modern styling. All the panel gaps, surface alignment, and detailing on these salable early preproduction cars look Japan right and orderly. Interior craftsmanship in similarly first-rate, with real aluminum on the steering wheel and dash (on cars with optional appearance package) and a chic, woven headliner.

A higher beltline and narrower windows conspire with a proper bucket seat and heck-'n'-toe pedals to make the new Mustang cockpit feel sportier, though the car stands an inch taller and the seat is a half-inch higher off the ground. Shorter folks may find themselves banging their funny bone into the console lid while shifting the short stick, which was moved aft this year. Everyone will notice the dead pedal is tipped forward at an awkward angle that doesn't match that of the accelerator. The rear seats accommodate sub-six-footers reasonably well, but they'll have to hold their own lattes- Ford neglected to mold a pair of cup holders into the back of the center console.

After just a few Michigan potholes, one wonders if Ford's modest structural improvements figures are overly conservative. The body feels snare-drum tight, attenuating impacts instantly. The extra rigidity coupled with the revised suspension allowed Ford to tighten up the shock valving and roll control without ruining the ride, which is slightly busy but never uncomfortably harsh. Bend the GT into a set of esse and two more contrast between new and old come into focus: The seats actually restrain the occupants so the steering wheel rim and grab handles don't have to, and the steering responds way more quickly. The ratio is actually a fraction slower (15.7:1 vrs 15.0:1), but there's so much less slop just off center that it feels more precise and nimble. And the steering feel is free of the increasingly unwelcome electronic tailoring of the ratio or effort.

Dump the clutch at half-throttle, and the Mustang GT paints two beautiful, unbroken black stripes-even with the traction control on. The system can tell drag racing from snow slippage and stands aside to prevent the indignation of an electronically aborted stoplight stampede. This year the system is also tuned to permit a bit of wheelspin-induced oversteer when driving aggressively on dry pavement. You'll want to switch the traction control off to wring the most out of this chassis on a closed track, but when switched on for responsible public-road driving, the extra latitude of the system affords is welcome.

At the racetrack, the Mustang truly showed us what it's made of-and that is to say, slightly lesser stuff than similarly priced sport cars like the 350Z and RX-8. Oh , the lusty V-8 pulls stronger out of every corner, but the car carries more weight over its (all-season) front tires, so it pushes more than those cars and seems less eager to rotate without brutish steering and throttle inputs. And while MarcPherson struts can be made to work magic on a Barvarian budge, this humble horse falls short of world-class chassis poise in bumpy turns, where the front end chatters a bit and the heavy hardware out back can be felt moving around more than one would like. The GT's larger four-wheel-disc brakes boast 18 percent-more swept area and feel terrific on the road, but two hard laps at the track caused them to fade disconcertingly. All that siad, the new car felt quicker and easier to pivot smoothly around the track than its glue-factory-bound predecessor, and most of these issues fade in importance once you drive off the track.

Priced around $25,000 to start, with acceleration and reasonable if not world-class handling, this new pony's blend of sytle, space, and speed seem as captivating as the original Mustang's. Chevy, the world expects a commensurate Camaro.

Quick Reply: Nov. Motor Trend 05 Data