2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No idea...

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/22, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea...

I made an account just to post this but yesterday I finished installing hot rod cams and JLT cai with a Brenspeed tune. Everything was great except having to swap cams after realizing passenger side cam was too long. Anyways no lights came on, no problems firing up and idling. I then load the tune up and on slight throttle, rpms drop to almost a stall until I pushed the throttle in a little further then it jumped to catch up I’m assuming. At idle the car would surge from ~600 to ~1000 rpm and wouldn’t be able to settle.
Anyway I didn’t try to drive the car more than 10ft with the throttle being like it was so I decided to load the stock tune back up and try re-tuning the car with the Brenspeed tune. Same result. So I load the stock tune back on and holy crap it’s like the car was meant to come with these cams stock. Throttle was the most responsive at low throttle it’s ever been but the issues came after driving it.

Trying to cruise down a hill, the rpms drop sub 500 and stall

When coming to a stop, the rpms drop and stall again

I didn’t think much of it since I figured the car just had to get used to it and it didn’t do it every time.

Today the car ran great, cold start sounded bada$$, fired right up, shook the earth, all the usual cam stuff and boom, engine light came on. I scanned the codes and had 4 come up. I cleared the codes and drove it home fine. I decided to give Brenspeed another shot and there wasn’t any lag anymore which was good, but the idle wasn’t “chopping” like it should’ve. It was an almost smooth idle just louder. Since the throttle lag was gone I figured I’d give driving a shot but I creeped forward a little bit and bang there’s another check engine light. This time I shut the car off and scan the codes expecting them to be the same 4 as before. Nope, 2 different ones. They were: P0022 and P2197. I’ve been looking around trying to find something on it but 90% of what I find is telling me P0022 is VVT solenoid and P2197 is oxygen sensor stuck rich or something along those lines. I’m getting a new O2 sensor and new VVT solenoids tomorrow to try and fix this. I made marks while installing the cams and everything lined up as it should’ve when putting everything back together. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 1/3/22, 06:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
sounds like an installation and/or tune-related issue to me, and you'll need to work with Brenspeed to figure it out and fix it

it definitely will not run right with the stock/factory tune due to the modifications, so I wouldn't even mess with that

if the O2 sensors were good before the modifications you just made, then they are probably still good now -- the difference is the mods and the tune
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (1/3/22)
Old 1/3/22, 08:36 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts
Yup I agree with Bert. If everything was running good before you started the mods, it is highly likely the new problems are caused by what has changed. Always go there first. Might double check if anything was left undone, also any extra parts? Otherwise I would go with Bert's recommendation and get with Brenspeed. They will be able to work with you and help you get the tune to better match-up with the mods you have in place.

Good luck, keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (1/3/22)
Old 1/3/22, 08:55 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
I also agree as well.. Thru personal experience, I wouldn't let Brenspeed tune my friggin lawnmower.. Their customer service skills are horrible and whenever the parameters in their tunes are off, they don't always make the proper revisions.