Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuse box cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/21, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
fuse box cover removal

How the Billy Blanks do you remove the cover on the fuse box inside the car,passenger side,footwell area?

Broke a piece off one end by pushing it thinking it was a release tab.I've been bending steel tools prying on it and still nothing.No signs of any type of tabs anywhere that I can see.

The boners manual simply says to "remove the cover" so there shouldn't be any kind of trick to it.They make it sound like it should just pop right off.

I'm tempted to go to harbor freight and buy a dremel and small cut-off wheel
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (1/1/22)
Old 12/31/21, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, so.. it should be a little 'thumbhole' that's on the back seam of the panel, nearest the door. Hook your thumb or finger in there and pull straight out on the seam, and the cover should come right off.

That being said, if yours is stuck, then the best option is to find out why, and I recommend pulling the entire kick panel, which means pulling up on the sill plate to remove it, then the weatherstripping on the door jamb, then the entire kick panel should pull straight backwards and out, couple of clips on the jamb side that hold it in. Then you can see what's keeping the door stuck there.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 1/1/22, 08:16 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 950 Likes on 578 Posts
Dark Drop Top I tried to remove mine recently and had the same problem. I didn't want to break it so I quit. I'll try Houtex method next time. It's mot exactly easy to get to, especially when you are older.
Old 1/1/22, 09:55 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Ok, so.. it should be a little 'thumbhole' that's on the back seam of the panel, nearest the door. Hook your thumb or finger in there and pull straight out on the seam, and the cover should come right off.

That being said, if yours is stuck, then the best option is to find out why, and I recommend pulling the entire kick panel, which means pulling up on the sill plate to remove it, then the weatherstripping on the door jamb, then the entire kick panel should pull straight backwards and out, couple of clips on the jamb side that hold it in. Then you can see what's keeping the door stuck there.

Hope that helps, good luck!
"What he said"
Old 1/4/22, 10:13 AM
GT Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the info gents.Maybe someday I'll try it again

I think NC07 nailed the real problem,it's hard to get up in there when you're old.Since I'm old,half fat,and half crippled,it's a real chore