2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Newb needs help...

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/07, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb needs help...

Hey all. New to the boards and looking for some advice.

I'm looking to trade in my 02 f-150 for a 07/08 mustang and had few questions, before I decide to take the plunge.

First off I'm trying to decide between the v6 and the gt. I'm leaning towards the gt since i've pretty much always driven a v8 and like the power (not a fan of the gas mileage, but a mustang would still be better than the truck) the reason I'm even considering the v6 is this... I think I'm going to get the manual transmission, though I've never really driven a stick on a regular basis. (I know how, just not expert at it) What I was thinking is save some costs and get the v6, learn to run the stick good and then in a couple years trade up to one of the next gen v8 stangs. Then again I could easily do that with the v8 as well. Thoughts?

I'd also like to do some modifications... Some basic appearance mods and maybe some engine enhancements. (another reason I'd like to go with the Gt.) I know I'm definitely looking at either a shaker kit or the saleen shaker supercharger I saw the post about earlier today, and probably some modded pipes. My question is what do these kind of mods do to the warranties? I'm guessing most would void them, so what types of mods wouldn't?

Lastly, I will be doing some audio mods. A double din DVD player of some sort, some component speakers, amps, etc... What I'm really looking for is getting a nice surround sound theater on wheels setup. That being said, I've found very little about center channel speakers being installed. I know you can get by without a center, but being a home theater enthusiast... well, let's just say I haven't found any support groups to cope with this addiction as of yet. So, any good sources of info about setting up a center channel out there?

Think that's all I've got for now? I'm going to go take a look at an 07 gt in the next day or two... we'll see how it goes.
Old 10/31/07, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey Jake wlecome to the sight, although I think I'm almost as new as you. I have a '07 GT. I knid of knew what I wanted going in, I was lookig at used Vettes when I came across this Black GT/CS (California Special) with two-tone interior. I had been reading posts on this sight and saw all the websites and vendors for aftermarket products a Mustang can get, and between the looks of the car, the fact I've been a Ford guy all my life, and that I didn't want to modify the Vette like i could so easily do to this Mustang to make it so unique, it's been really fun so far. The mod bug is freakin' HUGE! For me if your even thinking GT go for it. I know several guys on this site have V6's and while some may be for insurance reasons, or for price reasons, I am really only a fan of the GT. Gt all the way, you'll love it. One word of advice. Many of these guys have ordered their dream cars, I just happened across mine one Saturday, make sure of the car and color and the car is what you want, I wouldn't trade black for any other color, but some of these colrs I would not even consider.
Old 10/31/07, 07:46 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the GT. The 6 is a great car without question. But any muscle car w/ a manual tranny, V8 motor, and rear wheel drive has a personality that is all it's own.

Pick the car first, then the mods. The car will talk to you and tell you what to do. Sure you can plan the mods before you get the car, but decide on the car, then the mods.
Old 10/31/07, 09:20 PM
V6 Member

Take your time and decide. I'm happy with my gt. I had an 01 v6 as my frist car. If you like how the v6 looks and it fits with what you wanna spend, go for it. Would save a lot on insurance and save a little on gas. Looks like your getting a little ahead of yourself thinking about all those mods before you even know what car you want.
Old 10/31/07, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I would say pick the GT. Don't worry about learning to drive the manual, it is cake in this car.
Old 10/31/07, 11:01 PM

The 07 I'm going to look at is almost exactly what I built out on the website. Only thing different is the ext color. Black instead of Alloy metallic... I can live with that... if the price is right. The 08 actually priced out cheaper.

Granted I only saw the 07 listed via the dealer search so I'm sure the price is pretty negotiable, especially considering the time of year.

Heh, Ok so I just went to the dealer's site to see if I could find more info on the stang. The price went from $30,000 to $40,000... Turns out it's a brand new 07 shelby. Perhaps they won't be willing to come down much.

Insurance... I knew there was another reason I was looking at the v6...

Ah screw it... I'm a pilot. I want the power/speed!!! Guess I might just talk to them about an 08 gt, then.

So how much wiggle room does one usually have on the price when custom ordering one?
Old 11/1/07, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

custom ordering one could get you stuck with paying MSRP. dont take my word for it because mine was on its way from the factory when I bought it (got lucky). as for color, i somewhat regret getting black since it is the biggest PAIN in the @ss to keep clean and the swirl marks drive me friggin CRAZY. if you do go with black, invest in a porter cable and get ready to learn how to detail cars because it needs it.

as for the V6 vs V8 debate, ill never regret getting the GT. yea the insurance is higher but for the difference in power, i learned to live with it. also, i never drove a manual car before my GT (but i have the motorcycle so i knew what was going on) and let me tell you, such an easy car to drive stick. youll pick it up in no time
Old 11/1/07, 07:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
The car will talk to you and tell you what to do.
...might sound wierd...but its soo true.
Old 11/1/07, 08:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Go with the GT/5spd. It's an awesome car, beautiful too! You'll enjoy it, I dont even have one yet, and I enjoy it through the folks on this wonderful site. There are so many mods to choose from, just do what you want, that is what is important after all. As for the transmission in this car, the factory 5spd is a little clunky, but really good, and easy to pick up. The first time I drove one, I picked up on it and the clutch the very first time, like I'd driven the car a million miles. Being a pilot sounds awesome...
Old 11/1/07, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the GT man! You will NOT regret it!
Old 11/3/07, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the GT! you'll love it. and this site doesnt really help with the mod bug either
Old 11/3/07, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Get the GT. The 6 is a great car without question. But any muscle car w/ a manual tranny, V8 motor, and rear wheel drive has a personality that is all it's own.

Pick the car first, then the mods. The car will talk to you and tell you what to do. Sure you can plan the mods before you get the car, but decide on the car, then the mods.
The great wizzard had spoken wise words...excellent advise.
Old 11/3/07, 09:33 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco
The great wizzard had spoken wise words...excellent advice.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Old 11/4/07, 04:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Thats funny...but seriously good help/advise is hard to come by these days.I may not resond to all the posts on this Forum but I read most of them reguarding mod and mechanical applications and they have helped me making sure bet decisions that make my car run and look great.Whats funny though is my Mustang doesn't talk to me anymore so the mods have come to a stop,maybe whe it gets warmer.