Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/10, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing

Before I begin to ask newb questions I want to say I have searched a bit and it seems that most all threads I've come across have to deal with getting MORE power. That's not necessarily what I want. Especially as this 4.6L V-8 in and of itself is the most power I've ever had. Let alone w/ the supercharger on it. I've put $500 deposit on this car so they can save it for me that way this weekend I can go up to IL and check it out.

The foundation: (pics can be seen below as I have attached some)
2010 Ford Mustang GT w/ what I believe is a M90 roots supercharger. As seen here http://www.packeywebbford.com/inventory/details.aspx?s=u&id=10T1522A&d=Ford&m=Mustang&y=20 10The gearing? No idea. The dealership doesn't know either. But I know that if I jack the rear end up and turn the rear tires and count how many times the driveshaft makes a full rotation after 1 full rotation of the rear tire that it will tell me. Those of you w/ 4.10's plus a supercharger I have no idea how you all hook up on the street but that's another topic.

Why I opted for a 2010 instead of a 2011:
Simply put price. If you click the link above they're only asking $29k for a 4.6L that is making more power then a stock 5.0. Do I still want a 5.0? Hell yes. But some are having some bugs w/ their engines (or so the internets tell me) and with the money I save I can support the supercharger w/ future mods much sooner then I could w/ a 2011 hefty monthly payment. ( I say hefty cause I want all the options except Nav, which this 2010 has)
What's my goal you ask? Reliability. Peace of mind from that R word. It's not performance. It's not to go faster then the other mustang guy that also has a blower. It's not more power. I simply want to hear the thing whine like a banshi from hell on rare occasions. So with that said, if 5 psi is the magic number for the goal I'm looking for then so be it. Running 12lbs+ of pis and all that jazz that sounds awesome, isn't something I'm looking for.
With that said, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I don't mind being flamed. I don't mind being made fun of. I have searched though. And my searches yielded me little when it came down to my goal of not making the most power, but having realiability instead.
My background you ask? Jeep Wranglers. For my entire life up until I got an Acura Type-S. Then I got into Speed. From there I graduated to a 350z. Then another newer 350z 1 year later. I've had stick shifts all my life up until I lost my leg overseas and now I'm trying to get into the performance side of Automatic transmissions. I know what you're thinking. Not much performance to be found in the AT But life delt me this card and thus I'm playing it.
Onto my newb questions:
-Can anyone tell me what type of blower this is? I assume roots? But I'm a newb w/ mustangs let alone going FI.
-If roots, I think these contain their own oil. But how often, if ever, should I change that oil in it?
-How does one maintain these?
-How do I know if it's intercooled or non-intercooled? What should I look for?
-Should I get an upgraded heat exchanger?
-How would I know if this car has the right tune on it?
-Aside from running 91-93 octane what are things that you all whom are boosted recommend for a daily driven 4.6L?
-Would you all recommend I get a catch can?
-What's the most hp/tq this automatic transmission can take?
-If I plan to do NO internal engine work, what's the safest lb psi level I could turn this up to?
-Do I need upgraded fuel rail? upgraded injectors? (Though I'm betting this car already has that)
-Should I get colder spark plugs? How often do you SC guys change out your plugs?
-Do you all have ABT's? (automatic belt tensioners) it keeps the belt from slipping. If not do you all get HD tensioners?
-Do you SC owners keep spare serp belt in the trunk in case your belt shreds while daily driving?
-What belt do you all use? Back when I owned RSX then 350s gator belts were highly praised by those whom were boosted.
What's the most tq / hp our stock driveshafts can handle?

Basically what supporting mods should I do to make this engine & trans last as long as possible. I plan on not getting a new car until 2013 So I need this bad boy to last for 3 more years.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing-100_1895.jpg   Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing-100_1897.jpg   Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing-100_1901.jpg   Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing-100_1899.jpg   Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing-100_1902.jpg  

Old 10/21/10, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct, that is the Roush M90 supercharger which is roots style. I'm adding one of these to my 2010 around Christmas time as well. I used to have a 2006 Blaze Orange RSX-S, absolutely loved that car and dearly miss it.

The M90 is very proven kit and I can assure you that you won't need to worry too much about reliability issues and supporting your drive-train with the factory tune. If anything, you will want to upgrade your suspension and tires so you can put the power down.

I can't answer all of your questions but I will answer what I can. The M90 kit is intercooled. From what I have read the intercooler is a lot larger on the 2010 compared to the 05-09 kit. You won't need an upgraded intercooler or heat exchanger. The M90 is down talked by many since it doesn't have a huge ability to be upgraded to huge numbers. It uses older technology compared to the modern twin screw design found in Whipple, Saleen blowers etc. The M90 is very limited to how much power it can produce, however 430rwhp can be accomplished with an aftermarket tune and pulley upgrades and at that point it's pretty much maxed out. This will make the little M90 absolutely scream. This will of course void the powertrain warranty. A stock M90 runs around 5-6 psi, and if you get an aftermarket tune and pulley upgrade it will take it to around 8 psi. You won't be able to get 12psi out of the little M90 so don't even worry about that. 430rwhp is considered completely safe on stock internals as long as you have a good tune. If you want even a little more power you can do full exhaust, cams, and upgrade the fuel pumps, but other than that as I said it's maxed out. The M90 kit is perfect if you're not looking to get into the engine internals, like myself.

Here's a few links to check out as well if you want to upgrade the M90:
VMP M90 500hp upgrade

Roush M90 with pulley upgrade, as you can tell it screams

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 10/21/10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10/21/10, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm shocked that the roush M90 kit comes with everything one would need.
I really figured that an auto tensioner, colder spark plugs, fuel rails, upgraded fuel pump, ect... ect... would be needed to fully support this mod.
Guess I'll just worry about if the AT tranny & driveshaft can handle the power.

Thank you for the links!
Old 10/21/10, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a Sweet deal, just give'r !
Old 10/21/10, 04:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Thanks for the reply. I'm shocked that the roush M90 kit comes with everything one would need.
I really figured that an auto tensioner, colder spark plugs, fuel rails, upgraded fuel pump, ect... ect... would be needed to fully support this mod.
Guess I'll just worry about if the AT tranny & driveshaft can handle the power.

Thank you for the links!
At the base level on the Roush MP90, the tranny and driveshaft should do just fine.
Old 10/21/10, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reassurance fellas.

I'm curious though. Maybe my first post should have said "What would you all do/add from a supporting mod stand point?" (aside from suspension & tires)
Old 10/21/10, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Not sure what you mean by "supporting mods", supercharger needs no other support unless you want to upgrade for more power.

You could obviously change the exhaust, not really to support anything other than how it sounds.
Old 10/21/10, 09:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance fellas.

I'm curious though. Maybe my first post should have said "What would you all do/add from a supporting mod stand point?" (aside from suspension & tires)
perhaps brake?
Old 10/21/10, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Not sure what you mean by "supporting mods", supercharger needs no other support unless you want to upgrade for more power.

You could obviously change the exhaust, not really to support anything other than how it sounds.
I'm really floored that these kits for these cars genuienly has everything needed to run an SC efficiently.
For example to run an SC on a 350z you'd want:
-upgraded fuel rails
-Automatic belt tensioner to prevent belt slip
-High flow true dual exhaust as the stock exhaust restricts the output of the SC (none of this X pipe H pipe stuff)
-aftermarket headers thermal wrapped
-1 step colder then stock spark plugs
-Upgraded injectors
-Upgraded fuel pump
-Relocate IAT
-catch can
-a tune
-upgraded belt
-relocate MAP sensor
-aftercooler or intercooler for temps (though I see the m90 comes w/ one)
-CAI (Though I see the M90 kit comes w/ one)
-loctiting certain bolts, for example it's been known over on the 350z boards to loctite Intake manifold bolts in particular, as well as those bolts attaching the tensioner, do not loctite the tensioner adjustment bolt.
I wonder if it's the same for mustang owners?
How do mustang owners know when / if the belt slips?

And those that wanted the most power over realiability would typically:
-port the supercharger
-add cams
-smaller pulley
*Though I don't want more power*

Essentially I'm just stuned that all your SC kits that are available to you all come with everything you all need. Going FI for an RSX or for a 350z meant not only the supercharger itself but all the mods I listed above in order to get the most efficientcy and realiability out of the supercharger.
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
perhaps brake?
Sorry I originally meant mods in regards to supporting ones for the transmission and SC. But it seems the mustang doesn't require anything that these SC kits don't already come with.

Last edited by J. Dub; 10/21/10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10/21/10, 10:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm really floored that these kits for these cars genuienly has everything needed to run an SC efficiently.
For example to run an SC on a 350z you'd want:
-upgraded fuel rails
-Automatic belt tensioner to prevent belt slip
-High flow true dual exhaust as the stock exhaust restricts the output of the SC (none of this X pipe H pipe stuff)
-1 step colder then stock spark plugs
-Upgraded injectors
-Upgraded fuel pump
-Relocate IAT
-catch can
-a tune
-upgraded belt
-relocate MAP sensor
-aftercooler or intercooler for temps (though I see the m90 comes w/ one)
-CAI (Though I see the M90 kit comes w/ one)
-loctiting certain bolts, for example it's been known over on the 350z boards to loctite Intake manifold bolts in particular, as well as those bolts attaching the tensioner, do not loctite the tensioner adjustment bolt.
I wonder if it's the same for mustang owners?
How do mustang owners know when / if the belt slips?

Essentially I'm just stuned that all your SC kits that are available to you all come with everything you all need. Going FI for an RSX or for a 350z meant not only the supercharger itself but all the mods I listed above in order to get the most efficientcy and realiability out of the supercharger.

Sorry I originally meant mods in regards to supporting ones for the transmission and SC. But it seems the mustang doesn't require anything that these SC kits don't already come with.

Ironically I have a SC on a Mustang and have done about 3/4 of teh items on your 350Z list. It wasn't a necessity to have an SC at say 5psi boost, but it is safeguards for 10psi or so.
Old 10/21/10, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Ironically I have a SC on a Mustang and have done about 3/4 of teh items on your 350Z list. It wasn't a necessity to have an SC at say 5psi boost, but it is safeguards for 10psi or so.
Do you by chance have a build thread?
Old 10/21/10, 10:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Do you by chance have a build thread?
I do not. By the time I was far enough into the car to realize I should have done a build thread I was essentially almost done.

I modified the car in many respects in advance of the SC. Then of course after getting the SC there was more that needed to be done. There is always something to be done. It never ends. I still have not upgraded the driveshaft or clutch. Though I hope to get both upgraded very soon.

Many of the mods were for my own piece of mind or because I saw fellow forum members having an issue with something and I wanted to rectify it in my build before anything happened to my car. Safeguards. That's all they really are.
Old 10/21/10, 10:36 PM

You sound like the mindset I have. Being that this is my daily I need/like safeguards. Thanks for chimin in.
Old 10/21/10, 10:36 PM
GTR Member

Like I posted, unless you are looking to upgrade the blower for higher boost and quite a bit more power, the Roush kit has everything needed supplied with it.

Most everything on your list is present except for the fuel rails.
Old 10/22/10, 07:02 AM

Ltng, I've read on some other forums that the roush tune isn't good. If true, And I went with soemthing like this http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=376&parent=97
would there be any need to upgrade anything?
Old 10/22/10, 08:13 AM
GTR Member

Ltng, I've read on some other forums that the roush tune isn't good. If true, And I went with soemthing like this http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=376&parent=97
would there be any need to upgrade anything?
The Roush tune is a safe tune and keeps your warranty but other tuners will for sure get more power out of it.
Old 10/22/10, 08:37 AM

Do you know if it will keep af ratio perfect if say we're traveling cross country?
Does it always measure sea level changes, temp changes, humidity, ect... And compensate accordingly thus not allowing the vehicle to lean or rich out?
Old 10/22/10, 01:07 PM
GTR Member

Do you know if it will keep af ratio perfect if say we're traveling cross country?
Does it always measure sea level changes, temp changes, humidity, ect... And compensate accordingly thus not allowing the vehicle to lean or rich out?
Yes, that is what the MAF and IAT sensors do, just as well supercharged as normally aspirated.
Old 10/22/10, 02:03 PM

Ah, I see. And that's why some of you relocate the IAT and MAF sensors.... I get it now.
Ltng, did you relocate your sensors?
Old 10/22/10, 02:27 PM
GTR Member

Ah, I see. And that's why some of you relocate the IAT and MAF sensors.... I get it now.
Ltng, did you relocate your sensors?
Didn't relocate the MAF but did relocate the IAT to the intake, Roush does this on their blower too.

OEM Ford IAT is in the MAF since about 2001 so there is a little wiring involved, Roush has a plug-and-play harness for this though.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ 4.6L Supercharged Stang I'm purchasing