2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

New Gas Tank Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the new tank put on and still have the same problems. Could not get 55 cents worth of gas in at Mobil no matter how I held the nozzel. Went to Shell and it would not take gas even on low auto so had to hold the nozzel myself and it did take gas but spit out at the end of full on ground and me. Went back to dealer and they checked for a pinched vent hose-none found. They wanted to keep the car on a Friday afternoon and call Ford. I said call Ford and call me. Took car home. No call from them as yet. Looked under the car and the damm gas fill tube is about one and a half inches and many angles on it. Hope they find a real fix soon. Real PITA. :bang: :scratch: :bang:
Old 5/2/05, 02:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know the RPITA feeling. I had my gas tank & shaker replaced on a Friday. Sunday the survice engine soon light came on. I took it back in that Tuesday & they kept my car until the following Monday saying there was a hole in a hose leading from the gas tank that was allowing it to put out more emissions than the gvt regulates.

So, the gas tank was replaced again. Not only that but they lost the bolts to the gas tank on Friday, found the by 5:30 but it was too late to finish the job. And their tech didn't work Sat, so I had to wait till Mon. Driving hom Monday I get to a straight road with no lights & hit it up to 60 automatically. Well, there was a vibration in the seat & steering wheel & it was roaring between 60 & 80 mph.

The car was fine till I took it back for the service engine soon light. So, I called when I got home, took it back Tuesday only to be told they had to order a new driveshaft. So, the driveshaft went in Thursday & it's now fine.

Only now when I fill up & the nozel cuts off, it's full. No more squeezing, trying to round it out. I tried that & 5cents later gas is on the parking lot & running down the side of my car.

So talk about a PITA. I know the feeling. Although 3 weeks, a new shaker, 2 gas tanks, & a new driveshaft later my car is finally fixed (I hope). Anyway. I pray that you don't have that much trouble with yours. Good luck to you. And keep us posted. Laters.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 5/2/05, 02:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

BTW ~ I forgot to add. Welcome to the board.
Old 5/2/05, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

It's funny how some cars have these problems, whereas others have none. Defies logic to a certain extent.
Old 5/2/05, 06:23 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mutta@May 2, 2005, 2:09 AM
Had the new tank put on and still have the same problems. Could not get 55 cents worth of gas in at Mobil no matter how I held the nozzel. Went to Shell and it would not take gas even on low auto so had to hold the nozzel myself and it did take gas but spit out at the end of full on ground and me. Went back to dealer and they checked for a pinched vent hose-none found. They wanted to keep the car on a Friday afternoon and call Ford. I said call Ford and call me. Took car home. No call from them as yet. Looked under the car and the damm gas fill tube is about one and a half inches and many angles on it. Hope they find a real fix soon. Real PITA. :bang: :scratch: :bang:
Sorry to hear about your problems. I noticed the gas tank situation this Sunday during my first fill up. My car is going in today to have them look at a transmission fluid leak, so I'll probably mention the gas tank situation as well.

Hope everything works out for you, and welcome to the boards!

Justin
Old 5/2/05, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mutta@May 2, 2005, 1:09 AM
I wonder if they used the correct replacement tank, or if it was an old tank that they thought was the replacement? :scratch:

This story and Kera's story illustrate why I hesitate to take mine in for a replacment tank. I found that if I fill the tank approximately at half speed on the pump, I can fill it. And once the pump shuts off, don't dare try to pump more in, or it will overflow.

I will wait until the replacement tank results are more convincing before I have mine replaced.
Old 5/6/05, 07:33 AM

The new tank has the part # that Ford says should go in. There was no kinked hose. They called Ford and were told to check the selonoid that opens and closes the vent to the evaporation canister near your rear bumper(that black outfit under the car). If that is not opening may be causing the problem. They ordered the new selonoid but no call yet to come in and have it replaced. Check your wheel weights-I noticed that my front tires are missing two all ready. Will let ya know if this latest fix works when it is done. Sonic Blue-five speed-dark charcoal leather-Bullet wheels-500 Shaker(no problems). Some of my store disks would kick out and say bad disk--I took them out and blew on them and wiped em on my sweatshirt--put them back in and no problems. Try it! :nono:
Old 5/6/05, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had my tank replaced a few weeks back and its working great now!