2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never driven a manual transmission befor

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/04, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been an suv/truck owner, therefore I have only driven automatic's.
Never took the time to learn how to drive a manual transmission (stupid I know).
By the new year I will be getting a new vehicle and I am completely in love with the 05's and will more than likely get one. If I do get one I want a manual, but like I mention I dont know how to drive a manual. So my question to you guy's is if I want to learn how to drive a manual how do I go about doing that? Also, I like to think im a fast learner.
What would you say the learning curve is, how long did it take some of you to learn how to drive a manual transmission? I know to some of you guys this may sound like a stupid question but i could really use your imput. Thanks
Old 9/20/04, 03:26 AM
GT Member

its not that hard.... I learned on a '79 chevy luv. Just grab someone who knows how to drive a stick and have them sick next to you in the car and give you directions. <mutters about stalling all the time because it was in 3rd and his mother didn't notice>
Old 9/20/04, 03:45 AM
GT Member

#1 get someone you know can drive a stick let them take you out away from traffic

#2 find the steepest hill you can (verry important)

#3 start at the bottom going uphill

#4 swap drivers

#5 try to make it up the hill without over reving motor or slipping the clutch to much

#6 set rules like pass fail like this list

PASS WHEN
1. you make it up the hill with out having to rev the engine up to 3 grand and dropping the clutch

2. pass when you feel like you could do it all day without a problem

FAIL WHEN
1. car/truck stalls

2. clutch is smoking

3. tires turn over (clutch drop burnout)

4. passanger slaps you

just some simple thing it wont take long and you will figure out how much gas to apply while you are letting the clutch out allso remember every car is different

when you get the hill down pat then work on changing gears till you know that by heart after that go find some stop and go traffic and see how you do

hope that helps some
Old 9/20/04, 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

i'm a chick... and i learned to drive a manual in a jeep in about a day... it took a lot of driving... but i got it
Old 9/20/04, 05:17 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Rule #1- If you can't find em, grind em

If you can manage to take off without stalling and start from an incline without hitting the car behind you, you pass. If the clutch goes to smelling, you need to quit smoking it, If it grinds, get it in gear quick, or give people around you a cheap thrill.......Once you get the basics, its pretty simple from there. Oh, and a lot more fun to peel rubber in than an auto.

My husband taught me in a parking lot. He learned new swear words along the way(it was his brand new ford truck ). I finally went out on my own, and learned to completion that way, with only one incident- starting from the top of a drawbridge. That day the drivers behind me learned new swear words. Now I can do it blindfolded, and can't wait to get out of luxury and back into fun.
Old 9/20/04, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Not that hard to learn. I agree with finding a hil or at least a grade to learn on,that's how my husband taught me! My 15 year old son learned in few tries this summer-of course I told him he needs to be REALLY good before driving my Mustang!
Old 9/20/04, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its just like an automatic except you have to use the clutch and shift gears.........
Old 9/20/04, 07:19 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin once mentioned a good idea to help you get a feel for the clutch

sit in an empty parking lot and slowly let out the clutch in first to get the car moving in WITHOUT touching the gas. Do the same thing and shift into second gear. Once I did this a few times, it improved my release so much.
Old 9/20/04, 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

I bought my '97 Wrangler w/ 5spd Std June 22nd, 1996. Went for a test drive, with very limited experience driving std... dealer stopped on a hill and I keep rolling back... :bang: My father had to drive it home for me. The next morning I was able to drive like a pro after just 2 hrs on abandoned road. The only prevoius experience was in the military (duce 1/2 -truck) & video games -
BTW...I know games like Outrun don't have a clutch pedal, but it hepls a little
Old 9/20/04, 07:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie@September 20, 2004, 8:22 AM
Kevin once mentioned a good idea to help you get a feel for the clutch

sit in an empty parking lot and slowly let out the clutch in first to get the car moving in WITHOUT touching the gas. Do the same thing and shift into second gear. Once I did this a few times, it improved my release so much.
It teaches you that it doesnt take that much gas to move the car instead of screaming and baking your clutch when you first learn, and that you do not need to coast while braking, I dont push the clutch in untill about 2mph in 2nd gear coming to a stop. I learned to ride motorbikes with a clutch when I was about 7, so the concept was always there. I never really had to 'learn' to drive stick. Just remember to work the clutch modulation like a backwards brake pedal.
Old 9/20/04, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mike, nothing to it. find someone with a standard and practice, practise, practise. :drive: :drive: :drive:
Old 9/20/04, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@September 20, 2004, 9:18 AM
its just like an automatic except you have to use the clutch and shift gears.........
reminds me of Yogi... "and they give you cash, which is just as good as money"