2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need help after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/07 | 09:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Need help after lowering

Alright, I just put on my Steeda sport springs and Tokico D-Specs and I had a couple problems. First off, the driver's side upper strut mount is popping over any small bump. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how it can be fixed (without getting new USMs from Steeda or J&M)??

Second, there is a really strange sound coming from the drivers side back end. The rear spring makes a horrible noise over any significant bump. Almost like the sound if you run and jump on a bed. The spring is in right side up and shows no signs of being in wrong when I bounce the back end up and down. Going to try and reinstall the spring to see if that works, but if anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10/23/07 | 11:14 PM
V6 Member

On my last car, an 06' GT (with lowered suspension), if the sway bar end link on one side or the other gets loose (and it will very shortly if you did not use new nuts), then it will make a popping noise that makes you think the strut mount is bad. A TSB on this problem said to be sure you use new nuts as the factory nuts are made to be torqued one time only. Every time I would carefully tighten the nuts it would stop for a while, then start again. Those nuts won't stay tight even if you nearly strip them getting them tight. Some guys double nut them. hope that helps on the front, although I never had a single problem on the back.
Old 10/23/07 | 11:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

and the USM is not reusable, so you need to get some new ones from ford or KC, they should not be too much and are WAY cheaper then the Steeda ones since the ford ones are plastic
Old 10/24/07 | 12:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tantal
On my last car, an 06' GT (with lowered suspension), if the sway bar end link on one side or the other gets loose (and it will very shortly if you did not use new nuts), then it will make a popping noise that makes you think the strut mount is bad. A TSB on this problem said to be sure you use new nuts as the factory nuts are made to be torqued one time only. Every time I would carefully tighten the nuts it would stop for a while, then start again. Those nuts won't stay tight even if you nearly strip them getting them tight. Some guys double nut them. hope that helps on the front, although I never had a single problem on the back.
Thanks, that would be the best possible solution. Should be a cheap and easy way to try and fix that problem.

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
and the USM is not reusable, so you need to get some new ones from ford or KC, they should not be too much and are WAY cheaper then the Steeda ones since the ford ones are plastic
If I'm going to spend the money on new USMs, I would probably just wait and save up for some heavy duty mounts. I know I'm still reusing them, but I just got my old ones replaced under the TSB a couple weeks ago. Would hate to waste some brand new ones right?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.