2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/15, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice!

I recently installed H&R Race Springs on my 2006, I love the look but the rear is bottoming out some. I used my stock shocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to eliminate this issue?
Old 4/14/15, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock dampers don't like being lowered at all. You will probably want to get upgraded shocks/struts.
Old 4/14/15, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Yep get some Koni's
Old 4/14/15, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
One more for Konis!
Old 4/14/15, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhundley
I recently installed H&R Race Springs on my 2006, I love the look but the rear is bottoming out some. I used my stock shocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to eliminate this issue?

Hey H,

This question is tough to answer as it could be a few different things.

It could definitely be that your stock shocks and struts cannot handle that drastic of a drop and are causing you to bottom out, which a quality after-market shock and strut kit would remedy for you!

It could also be that you are hitting your bump stops. Did you swap them or do you still have the factory bump stops?

If you are still running the factory bump stops, I would recommend cutting them in half!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Old 4/14/15, 10:46 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Enfynet
The stock dampers don't like being lowered at all. You will probably want to get upgraded shocks/struts.
Not necessarily ! It really depends on the manufacturer.. For example I have the Eibach Pro Kit Springs on my 06 GT which still have the stock shocks/struts and after 8 years, I haven't experienced any type of suspension related issues at all..

Eibach even states on their website they R&D their spring kits with the stock dampers and are recommended for both performance and stock damper applications and are backed by their full lifetime warranty..

However when the time finally does come to replace them, I'll be upgrading to Koni yellows as I want to upgrade to an adjustable damper which hopefully will reduce that annoying wheel hop in the process as well
Old 4/15/15, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It isnt suspension issues, it is uncontrolled bounce and jounce as the tuned for stock height dampeners try to 'seek' to stock height... but cant due to the new lowered height.

If you dont have that... amazing. If you are ok with it, cool.

Myself, i got tired of the wallowy, scraping/slamming speed bumps issues with the stock on 1" lower and vot the koni orange. World. Of. Difference.
Old 4/15/15, 08:35 PM

Well here's what doesn't make sense to me ! Even Koni states their street/orange dampers are tuned specifically for lowering spring applications but can be also be used to improve ride performance quality with OEM stock springs as well..

So wouldn't you think if your stock dampers aren't able to compensate for the lower spring rates, the same would also apply if using higher OEM spring rates for dampers that are intended for lower spring rate applications ?

Maybe I'm just over analyzing and reading more into it than what I should, but it seems to me that some of these aftermarket companies have this tendency to contradict themselves whenever it comes to marketing their products
Old 4/15/15, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The reason the Konis work with any car is that they dampen for *any* height, not just the 'best' as the stock ones are set to do.

Again, the stock ones WANT to have the car at the stock height. They're valved for that, and to allow movement elsewhere to get it to that height. Which is why they're crap anywhere else. Oh, they'll eventually calm the car down after the 3rd bounce, sure... or is it the springs? :shrug:

But the Konis don't care about height. Car can be anywhere in that respect. They care about stopping the motion, *period*. So stock, 1", or even 2" down, and it's going to stop that car moving, and let the spring completely dictate the car's final stop.

The result is a stiffer, more immediate bounce/jounce dampening, versus the stock one that might oscillate just a tad more, but ride smoother for it.
Old 4/15/15, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
It isnt suspension issues, it is uncontrolled bounce and jounce as the tuned for stock height dampeners try to 'seek' to stock height... but cant due to the new lowered height.

If you dont have that... amazing. If you are ok with it, cool.

Myself, i got tired of the wallowy, scraping/slamming speed bumps issues with the stock on 1" lower and vot the koni orange. World. Of. Difference.
Slightly OT: Why did you decide on the orange over the yellow?
Old 4/18/15, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
The reason the Konis work with any car is that they dampen for *any* height, not just the 'best' as the stock ones are set to do.

Again, the stock ones WANT to have the car at the stock height. They're valved for that, and to allow movement elsewhere to get it to that height. Which is why they're crap anywhere else. Oh, they'll eventually calm the car down after the 3rd bounce, sure... or is it the springs? :shrug:

But the Konis don't care about height. Car can be anywhere in that respect. They care about stopping the motion, *period*. So stock, 1", or even 2" down, and it's going to stop that car moving, and let the spring completely dictate the car's final stop.

The result is a stiffer, more immediate bounce/jounce dampening, versus the stock one that might oscillate just a tad more, but ride smoother for it.
Your actually the first person who's been able to provide straight forward and honest answers to my questions that fully make sense to me.. In fact not even the reps from Eibach that I spoke with on the phone would take the time to provide a straight forward explanation behind their R&D testing claims about how their pro kit lowering springs are also compatible with the OEM stock dampers..

Their explanation really didn't make any logical sense to me and here's why..

1] If the design of the stock dampers are set and valved for only the height of the stock springs, then how in the hell can they really work on a lowering spring kit application let alone be compatible as Eibach supposedly claims according to their own R&D test results

2] If their lowering spring kits are really so compatible with the stock dampers, then why even bother to design an Eibach dampering kit as either a direct replacement or an upgrade over the stock dampers to begin with ?

Seems to me there has to be logical reason, but once again Eibach was unable to provide any straight forward answers to these questions, but thanks to you, I finally have the answers I've been long searching for..

Therefore with that being said ! I plan on upgrading to Koni Yellow struts/shocks A.S.A.P

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/18/15 at 01:42 PM.